Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Community Coming Together to Fight Cancer

KDawg

I work in a high school, in fact, it's the one I graduated from. Recently, we had one of our students who is 16 years old get diagnosed with cancer. The entire school and town have rallied behind this kid.

Last night was my contribution. I organized a basketball game against one of our cross-town rivals with the help of countless people. It took alot of time and work, but thanks to this awesome community we raised over $4,000 last night.

Prior to this whole thing, I was beginning to lose alot of faith in humanity, but this experience has woken me up to a whole new world. This has restored my pride in people, seeing what everyone did to band together and support this student in his fight.

We say it several times a day, but Eric (the young guy that has cancer) is NOT alone in this fight. He's got thousands of people on his side.

We call it Fight for Eric.

Here's the link to the basketball game last night:

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/501196/plenty-of-support-for-greece-teen-fighting-cancer/

For the record, I'm #4 that's running around the court, you see me a few times, most notably diving (and failing) to get a loose ball. :)

Damnit. Stage 3 testicular cancer. That is really awful to hear, particularly in someone so young.

KDawg, I think it's great that there are people like you and other members of your community out there who are pulling together to help someone, and his family, in need. Thank-you for sharing this story. I truly hope this kid pulls through this and is able to beat this cancer.

KDawg,

That is an awesome thing that you did.

From someone who has lost a close family member to cancer, I can tell you firsthand that showing a person with cancer that they have a good support group has huge benefits. We can't beat cancer with good wishes, but a positive outlook can help greatly.

Nice Job - I'm sure his family appreciates your help.

is there an address if we want to send checks?

Absolutely. You can send it to the high school.

Address is:

Greece Olympia High School

1139 Maiden Lane

Rochester, NY 14615

Care of: Mike Labue

I'm not Mike, but Mike is the guy who has really taken this whole thing under his wing. He's the overseer of all of the little things that are going on and he's a great, great guy.

Thank you SO much for any donations or EVEN thoughts of donations.

Damnit. Stage 3 testicular cancer. That is really awful to hear, particularly in someone so young.

KDawg, I think it's great that there are people like you and other members of your community out there who are pulling together to help someone, and his family, in need. Thank-you for sharing this story. I truly hope this kid pulls through this and is able to beat this cancer.

We're going to beat it. Our team won the game last night and apparently he told someone it was a sign that he was going to win the fight.

Talk about being floored. I literally didn't know how to react to that.

EDIT: He didn't tell ME that, like I originally put. I was told it was said. Who knows if its the truth, but I'll take it as a sign. He's going to beat this.

KDawg,

That is an awesome thing that you did.

From someone who has lost a close family member to cancer, I can tell you firsthand that showing a person with cancer that they have a good support group has huge benefits. We can't beat cancer with good wishes, but a positive outlook can help greatly.

Nice Job - I'm sure his family appreciates your help.

Thanks!!!

I'm passing the link on to a friend in NC - he is young and a cancer survivor and is always willing to help. I'm sure he will rally some support as well.

Keep us updated.

That's awesome. I'll do my best to keep you guys in the loop.

Archived