Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Massacre in Congo

nonniey

Wow, man, I really hope a huge reason we didn't step in on Rwanda wasn't because we didn't want to the world to look at the US as a bunch of interfering, racists bullies. Those people were getting hacked to death at a rate the rivaled the Holocaust, I could give a damn about the ACLU.

No, somehow I don't think there a chance in Dallas that that was why.

It's just a reflex action with ND, here: See thread, blame liberal commie ACLU gays.

Well Larry riddle me this, why is it that in bosnia where there was a genocide on a much smaller scale did the US get actively involved and very quickly?

and dont give me the weak ass nobody knew bullcrap, Dallaire was warning the UN and the US quite vocally about what was happening. Im the last guy to throw the race card for no reason but you will never convince me that race and racial perceptions in the US didnt play a huge part in clintons decisions about africa.

Well Larry riddle me this, why is it that in bosnia where there was a genocide on a much smaller scale did the US get actively involved and very quickly?

and dont give me the weak ass nobody knew bullcrap, Dallaire was warning the UN and the US quite vocally about what was happening. Im the last guy to throw the race card for no reason but you will never convince me that race and racial perceptions in the US didnt play a huge part in clintons decisions about africa.

NATO went in not the United Nations. There is a big difference it is a lot more difficult for the United Nations to act then it is for NATO.

As far as I know they did not go in with force, there were eventually peacekeepers in the region but NATO went in with force.

Also I misread your first comment, I read UN instead of US when you were asking why the US went into the Bosnia situation and not Rwanda. Thats pretty simple NATO found it to be a sufficient problem and we went in with them.

As far as I know they did not go in with force, there were eventually peacekeepers in the region but NATO went in with force.

Also I misread your first comment, I read UN instead of US when you were asking why the US went into the Bosnia situation and not Rwanda. Thats pretty simple NATO found it to be a sufficient problem and we went in with them.

no they didnt go in force but they were there. The un rarely goes anywhere in force.

My main point was that Bosnia had no oil, neither does africa, so why exactly do we help one and not the other.

no they didnt go in force but they were there. The un rarely goes anywhere in force.

My main point was that Bosnia had no oil, neither does africa, so why exactly do we help one and not the other.

I think we moved in Bosnia because it was in most of the members of NATO's best interest not to have ethnic strife in their back yards.

Rwanda was a terrible situation and the fact that the United Nations, United States, or any major power didn't step in was a tragedy, but we had no strategic interest in the region and there had been ethnic strive in the surrounding areas for decades.

At least thats my opinion on the different responses. Bosnia was in NATO's backyard and we acted with NATO on that situation while Rwanda was not strategically important for any major body or superpower.

are you saying you dont think the united states would give aid to a country that isnt strategicly important? lol

I happen to agree mostly, but I do think that there were other factors too.

I am saying that the United States wouldn't militarily intervene in a state that isn't strategically important in most cases. The cold hard facts are that the United States supports a lot of nasty people for strategic reasons and it turns the other way or ignores a lot of things it shouldn't for strategic reasons. I may not think its the right thing to do but its the reality of the situation.

Archived