Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for Bryan Bulaga (Trading Down, and the ZBS)

E-Dog Night

Like many, I have various trading down fantasies involving the the Redskins this season. Hell, make that every season, but this one in particular. Additional draft picks are needed - badly - and SOMEONE is going to seriously contemplate trading with the Redskins to move to that #4 spot. There are some players who would be better trade bait than others, but whoever is there will draw interest.

Which is why I'd like to see the Redskins trade down a few spots to the bottom half of the top ten. Cleveland? Oakland? Buffalo? I'd trade with any of them if the compensation was even close to adequate.

Reason: Bryan Bulaga will still be there in those later slots, and he may be a better fit for the Redskins than Okung (even if Okung may be the better pure left tackle) because of Shanahan's zone blocking scheme.

Consider these scouting reports on Bulaga:

f7618a30-f7dc-11de-b0b1-001cc4c03286.preview-300.jpgbulaga.jpgncf_g_bulaga11_300.jpgBulaga+Destroys+LB.jpg

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2088

Bryan Bulaga is the latest in a long line of talented offensive linemen from the University of Iowa...has very quick feet for a big offensive lineman and uses his long arms to ride speed rushers right out of plays...Bulaga's run blocking has also improved steadily over the last two seasons. He is no longer satisfied just blocking the man in front of him, he moves on to the next level and tries to get a block on a linebacker as well. The best fit for Bulaga would be on a zone blocking team in the NFL, because of his familiarity with the system.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/3/13/1371102/bryan-bulaga-nfl-draft-scouting

Awareness/Reaction: Is a very smart player, and is known as one of the most NFL-ready blockers in the class after only three years of college play. Recognizes stunts and twists well and makes adjustments on the fly...Shows a great understanding of blocking schemes and assignments. Is great in blitz adjustments and protections...Ideal balance. ...Exceptional ability in the run game....Has the quickness and understands the angles to play in a zone scheme.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/scouting-reports/bryan-bulaga-ot-iowa.html

Great height and weight. Plays with very good strength. He is a very physical player. Great run blocker. Keeps his feet moving when engaged in run blocking, this shows great technique and footwork. He has very good footwork, very quick and polished. He finishes blocks. He is able to get to the second level and can lock on to linebackers...Has a great initial punch and uses his hands very well. His quick feet enable him to slide very well and he plays with great balance. Extremely good intangibles; he is a very hard worker, tough and good leader. Is able to play a zone-blocking scheme. ...An immediate left tackle starter.

Conclusion: The Redskins should try like gangbusters to trade down a few slots to pick up an additional draft pick or 2 that they so desperately need. It's very do-able; they are really in the cat-bird's seat at #4. Then they can pass on Okung and get a player who is almost as good in Bulaga, but who fits their system better.

Win-win.

How do you know Bulaga is going to be there in one of the later slots in the top 10? If Okung goes #2, Kansas City or Seattle could easily take Bulaga at #5 or 6 respectively. Bulaga is the 2nd best OT in the draft and I doubt he's around at #7, 8, or 9.

I'm in complete agreement with you e-dog. I would love to see them trade back and acquire more draft picks. However, I'm pretty sure that Baluga will be a top 10 pick, so if we trade down and have our eyes on Bulaga, then we better be careful whom we trade with.

I agree with this completely! They need to trade down.. maybe even twice and get 2 additonal picks. Okung would be great, but he could come at the expense of picking up an extra pick... so theorteically they could have Okung... or they could get 2 for the price of 1 like Bulaga and Charles Brown or Jason Fox, that could shore up both tackle spots if one of them can beat out Heyer for the right side.

Or.. in my dream world.. get the tackle they need.. and then a QB and a RB in rounds 2-3 with the extra pick. Either way, I will be happy if they get a OT to start Day 1, Bulaga would be GREAT

How do you know Bulaga is going to be there in one of the later slots in the top 10? If Okung goes #2, Kansas City or Seattle could easily take Bulaga at #5 or 6 respectively. Bulaga is the 2nd best OT in the draft and I doubt he's around at #7, 8, or 9.

Of course I don't know for certain. But with players like Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Okung, Clausen, and Berry out there (not to mention 2 other top-rated OT's like Trent Williams and Bruce Campbell), seeing Bulaga go at #7 or #8 seems at least reasonable if not likely.

I'm in complete agreement with you e-dog. I would love to see them trade back and acquire more draft picks. However, I'm pretty sure that Baluga will be a top 10 pick, so if we trade down and have our eyes on Bulaga, then we better be careful whom we trade with.

IMO, trading down is not an option for the Skins. We need a LT who is regarded as the best LT. Trouble with Bulaga is his short arms. Not good to have a short arm LT.

Maybe they can get Okung and then trade their second round pick down? With the extra day in the draft for teams to prepare for the second round, someone might be willing to trade to the #37 pick for "their" guy, and the skins can drop back and get two other picks for an extra OL or what have you?

I still want Okung, they need to shore the LT spot up like Chris Samules had done for us

IMO, trading down is not an option for the Skins. We need a LT who is regarded as the best LT. Trouble with Bulaga is his short arms. Not good to have a short arm LT.

Hmmm..does he really have short arms? Okung's are are longer, but Bulaga can hardly be said to have short arms.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/Bryan-Bulaga.html

Bulaga also has a huge wingspan and his long arms help keep defenders away from his body (which he does very well) and allows him to control defenders at the point of attack.

His arm length was listed from the combine at 33 1/4 inches. Okung was listed at 36 inches, which is off the charts, so in comparison it seems like Bulaga is stubby. But compared with Trent Williams, he's less than 1 inch shorter (Williams was at 34 inches). So his wingspan is hardly short.

Re:

Combine interview:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d816a066b/Bryan-Bulaga-interview

__

Combine:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816de931/2010-Combine-workout-Brian-Bulaga

__

Pre Bowl Game:

__

Bulaga had a radio interview today with Fox Sports, around noon EST. I listened to it, haven't found it on the tubes yet.

Of course I don't know for certain. But with players like Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Okung, Clausen, and Berry out there (not to mention 2 other top-rated OT's like Trent Williams and Bruce Campbell), seeing Bulaga go at #7 or #8 seems at least reasonable if not likely.

The only way it would be a good idea to move back to the 7 or 8 spot and target a tackle is if Shanahan also likes Trent Williams. Kansas City will probably take the best OT they can get their hands on at number 5, be it Okung or Bulaga, and both Detroit and Seattle may choose to go OT as well depending on who is available.

Hmmm..does he really have short arms? Okung's are are longer, but Bulaga can hardly be said to have short arms.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/Bryan-Bulaga.html

His arm length was listed from the combine at 33 1/4 inches. Okung was listed at 36 inches, which is off the charts, so in comparison it seems like Bulaga is stubby. But compared with Trent Williams, he's less than 1 inch shorter (Williams was at 34 inches). So his wingspan is hardly short.

If you look at the experts like Mike Mayock of NFL.com he will bear out my statement. If Bulaga is our option, then we should draft him, however, if Okong is there, you should pick him.

Anything less than 34 inches is not good.

Like many, I have various trading down fantasies involving the the Redskins this season. Hell, make that every season, but this one in particular. Additional draft picks are needed - badly - and SOMEONE is going to seriously contemplate trading with the Redskins to move to that #4 spot. There are some players who would be better trade bait than others, but whoever is there will draw interest.

Which is why I'd like to see the Redskins trade down a few spots to the bottom half of the top ten. Cleveland? Oakland? Buffalo? I'd trade with any of them if the compensation was even close to adequate.

Reason: Bryan Bulaga will still be there in those later slots, and he may be a better fit for the Redskins than Okung (even if Okung may be the better pure left tackle) because of Shanahan's zone blocking scheme.

Win-win.

I don't think trading down is in the best interest of the Skins unless we pick up Williams or Davis. Bulaga would make a better OG because of his arm measurements - less than the ideal length of 34 inches.

I don't think trading down is in the best interest of the Skins unless we pick up Williams or Davis. Bulaga would make a better OG because of his arm measurements - less than the ideal length of 34 inches.

I think you're dramatically overestimating the importance of that 3/4 of an inch of arm length.

If you look at the experts like Mike Mayock

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/25/iowa-ot-bulaga-measures-up/

__

The Day 1 measurables are in, and for offensive tackles, the number you want to keep your eye on is 33.
“The only question I have on him is his arm length,” said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock ... (cont. Mayock) "This week it will be interesting to see whether or not he’s 33 inches or more.”
The waiting is over. Bulaga - came in at 33 1/4. No more questions.

__

Per: http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/02/23/nfl-network-analyst-bulaga-could-crack-the-top-5

Mayock's words:

“Bulaga to me is going to be one of the four offensive tackles that could possibly go in the first nine picks,” Mayock said.

Mayock is also on record as calling Bulaga a "Technician" multiple times.

I think you're dramatically overestimating the importance of that 3/4 of an inch of arm length.

Whenever the "expert" mentions an OLT having short arms sends red flags. Now, it would seem like 3/4 of an inch is not a big deal, but he keeps referring to his short arms after the fact of the measurements at the combine.

Just saying!

A "Technician" is a nice way of saying he's just an average "short armed" LT, whose slightly below norm who has the potential of bust written all over him, jmho.

I am sure Bulaga is a good tackle and will enjoy a good career. I don't think you'll see him in a pro-bowl, but he may be the offensive tackle for some team for 6 or 7 years.

I just hate the fact that the Skins are "forced" to trade down to get draft picks and give up "the best" for an "almost as good" OT. One more thing to blame on Vinny.

When you get a top draft pick then it's best you use it for the guy you want most. You always take some chances, when you trade back. This team is not going to be a contender this season so let's buid it from the ground up with the best players we can draft and/or pick up in free agency. I still like the bird in the hand saying.

Archived