Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for Bryan Bulaga (Trading Down, and the ZBS)

E-Dog Night

His arms are 33 and 1/4 inches. That is considered "short" by some, but they are the same length as Joe Thomas.

i know id take joe thomas's chubby chunky lil arms right now... mmmhmmm

if we get a qb in the second... pref mccoy, id be soo happy if we got any of the linemen that will be projectively taken in the first half of the draft

The part that the Chiefs will probably select Bulaga at 5.

They're the most unpredictable team in this year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Dan Williams at 5.

If Bulaga's gone, you move on to the next guy--Davis or Brown. There is so little separating the top 5 tackles that it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Bulaga is the best OT, no doubt. But I'd be perfectly happy with Charles Brown if when we trade back, Bulaga is gone.

I agree. Although I like Anthony Davis ahead of him. Brown had an elite year and you know what's the most astonishing fact of all about him? I'm pretty sure he's only been an OT for two years. If/when he adds some strength to his base, he'll have an enormous ceiling.

Bulaga is the best OT, no doubt. But I'd be perfectly happy with Charles Brown if when we trade back, Bulaga is gone.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Lions really will take Okung at #2. They've acquired 2 D-linemen (Corey Williams & Kyle Vanden Bosch) in the past month so it seems like they want to address their D-line that way. It's probably unlikely that they would spend so much money (about $15 million between the two next year alone) and then draft Suh on top of that, while totally ignoring the protection of Matthew Stafford. Vinny Cerrato is not their GM. :(

If that's the case, there will be no scenario I can imagine where Bulaga will still be available after trading down. Which really sucks. I wanted a "have your cake and eat it too" draft.

So I'm not sure if Bulaga is worth the overall #4 pick. If the Redskins think that they can win with Clausen then I bet that's who they pick, and then they'll try and get Gaither with that 2nd round pick.

Which will then leave the Redskins with one draft pick in the first 3 rounds. Ugh.

They're the most unpredictable team in this year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Dan Williams at 5.

If Bulaga's gone, you move on to the next guy--Davis or Brown. There is so little separating the top 5 tackles that it wouldn't be a huge deal.

I think they would have a hard time justifying another DL in the top 5 after Dorsey and Jackson in consecutive years, especially since neither have produced. Williams would give them a great front 3 on paper assuming Dorsey/Jackson grow into their roles as 3-4 ends and Williams reaches his potential but I think they are a virtual lock to go OL in round one.

After the draft pick/financial commitment to Cassel they need to make that work. I don't believe there are any recievers worth that #5 pick and Charles seems to be adequate so the best way to help Cassel is to protect him. A shiny new LT allows Albert to slide inside to LG or move over to the RT spot. I think he could excel at either one but I personally think he could be a great Hutchinson-eque guard. I'm not sure what they do offensively but I would think if he has the athleticism to start at tackle he could be very effective in traps and pulls and getting to the second level to help spring Charles for those big runs.

Then again they might decide Eric Berry is too good to pass up. I think a lot of teams are hard to predict this year with all of the talent coming out, it should really be an exciting draft to watch unfold.

I would like trade down a little and pick up a third rounder at least, maybe even a second rounder.

Trade Round 1 pick and get the other teams picks in round 1,2,3. Say someone really loves Clauson.

We take then draft:

Round 1: Offensive Line

Round 2: QB, Offensive Line

Round 3: Offensive Line

We need players that will be starters by end of the season with our first 2 picks.

Then again they might decide Eric Berry is too good to pass up. I think a lot of teams are hard to predict this year with all of the talent coming out, it should really be an exciting draft to watch unfold.

I actually think this is one of the easier top 10's to predict of the past few years. The elite talent matches up with a lot of needs. IMO it will pretty much go:

STL - Bradford or Suh

DET - Suh or McCoy

TB - Suh or McCoy (or Berry if they are gone)

WAS - Bradford or Davis/Bulaga/Okung

KC - ?

SEA - Morgan or Berry or Bulaga/Davis/Okung

CLE - Berry or Haden or McClain or Bryant

OAK - Williams or Bulaga

BUF - Clausen or Bulaga/Davis/Okung

JAC - Trade or Haden or Bryant

You can pretty much narrow everyone down to a choice between two guys. That's a lot better than I could do in past years. My best guess mock would be:

STL - Bradford

DET - Suh

TB - McCoy

WAS - Davis

KC - Okung

SEA - Berry

CLE - Bryant

OAK - Williams

BUF - Clausen/Bulaga

JAC - Haden

A couple things:

- I think there is a snowballs chance in hell that Detroit will take Okung over Suh. They are a BPA philosophy and simply put, Suh is miles ahead of Okung as a prospect. So is Gerald McCoy.

- I think we'll actually favor Anthony Davis over Okung because he's a better prospect IMO and because he'll remind Shanahan of Ryan Clady.

- That leaves Eric Berry, Derrick Morgan, Ro McClain, Dez Bryant, and Okung as the BPA for KC. They won't take Morgan or Berry because Morgan isn't a good fit and Scott Pioli said he doesn't like taking safeties high. He's gung-ho about positional value. That also probably means he won't take Ro McClain although it's still an option. I doubt he takes Bryant who's a cold prospect in the eyes of scouts right now. So my guess is that he'll either take Okung or go for a defensive stalwart like Haden, McCoy, or Dan Williams.

- I think it'll be a tough choice for Seattle between Derrick Morgan and Eric Berry but they'll ultimately go with Berry

- I think Cleveland COULD take Clausen but Holmgren doesn't seem to like him (could be lies though). The only other options that make sense are Bryant, Haden, and McClain

- I'm pretty sure Oakland will take an OT and Trent Williams and Bryan Bulaga fit their profile as athletes.

That's my thinking. Obviously everything will change if the Rams draft Suh first. Someone will probably trade up with Tampa Bay to get Bradford or we'll take him, and a whole cascade of picks would change following that.

Bulaga is not fluid enough. On the other hand, Okung has a great anticipation where the DE, DT or whomever, wants to go. You can't teach that.

Mechanical Offensive Tackles will get beaten a lot because they are playing in the moment.

Archived