Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Oline Scouting Reports

Dirk Diggler

I didn't see these in the scouting thread so I thought I'd share. PFW is my bible and the best in the biz when it comes to draft info. I personally like Bulaga the best (since he has the highest floor, and most versatility) if we go Oline #4 but Okung seems to be more like Ryan Clady. Anyway, have at it...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/19/top-10-ol-prospects

The following is PFW draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki’s exclusive ranking of the top 10 offensive linemen in the 2010 NFL draft, with an in-depth scouting report detailing each prospect’s positives, negatives, summary and projected draft spot.

1. OT Russell Okung

Oklahoma State senior

Ht: 6-5 1/4 | Wt: 307 | Sp: 5.21 | Arm: 36 | Hand: 10 1/2

Notes: Started the final eight games at offensive right tackle as a true freshman in 2006. Moved to left tackle and started all 13 games in '07 after the departure of New England Patriots 2007 sixth-round pick Corey Hilliard. In '08, started all 13 games at left tackle. Was an Outland Trophy finalist in '09 when he started all 13 games at left tackle. Team captain.

Positives: Looks the part - has prototypical size with a big bone structure, a muscular, well-proportioned build and vines for arms. Very good upper-body strength - bench-pressed 225 pounds 38 times at the Combine. Plays with a load in his hands. Latches on to defenders and runs his feet - can steer and control. Good initial quickness and flexibility to hook defensive ends - can work his hips around and seal. Very good balance. Powerful run blocker. Very difficult to run the arc against and anchors in pass protection. Shuffles and slides smoothly to mirror - fine body control. Intense and competitive. Passionate about the game.

Negatives: Is not loose-hipped and lacks elite agility. Can do a better job sinking his hips to anchor. Tends to play tall and can be stressed by speed rushers. Falls off blocks when he bends at the waist and overextends. Can do a better job consistently keeping his hands inside. At times, opens up his shoulders, allowing rushers upfield. Not overly explosive when pulling and trapping.

Summary: Can stand to polish his technique but passes the eye test and has a desirable playing temperament. Dominated collegiate competition for stretches and has terrific length and good enough feet to ably man the blind side or become a top-notch right tackle. Emerged from the Combine as a surefire lottery pick and figures to be the first tackle drafted because of his intangibles and solid, all-around traits.

NFL projection: Top-10 pick.

2. OLT-OLG Bryan Bulaga

Iowa junior

Ht: 6-5 3/8 | Wt: 314 | Sp: 5.24 | Arm: 33 1/4 | Hand: 9 1/4

Notes: Parade All-American as a left tackle (did not allow a sack during his career at left tackle), though he also played defensive end, tight end and linebacker in high school. As a true freshman in 2007, appeared in seven games and started the final five at left guard. Missed six games due to a shoulder injury that required offseason surgery and sidelined him during '08 spring practice. In the fall, started all 13 games at left tackle. Started all 10 games played in '09 - missed three September contests while dealing with a thyroid condition.

Positives: Looks the part and has very good feet. Can shuffle, slide and mirror in pass protection. Excellent base and balance. Good agility to cut off the wide rush. Keeps his shoulders square and handles inside moves and counters. Rolls off the ball and drives defenders off the ball. Great finisher - plays nasty and seeks to bury defenders. Plays with pop and power in his hands - shoots his hands and punches with authority. Controls defenders - does an outstanding job steering and sustaining. Good quickness to the second level to cut off linebackers. Has proven capable of dominating. Outstanding work ethic and character. Motivated to succeed. Versatile and has played inside and outside. Footwork was very clean in drills at the Combine.

Negatives: Lacks great arm length for the left tackle position and will let defenders into his frame. Shows some upper-body stiffness. Could improve his anchor strength. Does not come off the ball low consistently - loses the leverage battle and can be bull-rushed. Does not have elite foot quickness. Was outleveraged by Michigan's Brandon Graham. Looked raw early in the season, and thyroid condition must be evaluated.

Summary: Nearly the prototype from a measurables standpoint, save for less-than-exceptional arm length, and comes from a program with a rich tradition of producing well-coached, blue-collar offensive linemen. Solid technician who possesses the athletic ability and balance coveted in a blind-side protector along with the physicality and playing temperament highly desired on the right side. May wind up fitting at left guard but has the mental makeup, intelligence and toughness to develop into a Pro Bowl player. Versatility is a big plus, with potential to play any of four positions.

3. OLT-OG-C Trent Williams

Oklahoma senior

Ht: 6-4 5/8 | Wt: 315 | Sp: 4.88 | Arm: 34 1/4 | Hand: 9 3/4

Notes: As a true freshman in 2006, saw action in 11 games, starting the final seven at right tackle after Branndon Braxton broke his leg. Posted 75 knockdowns in 462 snaps. Split time with Braxton in '07, starting six games at right tackle. Took ownership of the position in '08 and earned first-team All-Big 12 honors (coaches) after starting all 14 games - the season opener at left tackle in place of the suspended Phil Loadholt and the final 13 at right tackle. Totaled 131 knockdowns, including 18 in the BCS title game against Florida. Sprained an ankle against TCU. Moved to left tackle in '09 and started all 12 games played (injuries forced him to the center position in the Sun Bowl against Stanford). Did not play against Oklahoma State (concussion) and was slowed by hip and knee injuries.

Positives: Exceptional athletic ability and outstanding agility. Ran exceptionally well at the Combine and posted a 34 1/2-inch vertical (tops among offensive linemen). Quick-footed and loose-hipped to handle edge speed. Excellent lateral movement - shuffles, slides and mirrors with ease. Drops anchor in pass protection. Protects his frame, gets extension and locks out. Natural bender. Fires into blocks, rolls his hips and shows snap on contact. Has explosive power. Can control and steer defenders. Good body control and coordination to fit on moving targets. Finishes blocks - plays with a snarl. Is battle-tested and has played both sides of the line. Played hurt much of his senior season and battled through injuries.

Negatives: Does not have ideal height or arm length. Struggled adapting to the left side as a senior. Conditioning is a concern - does not like the weight room and appeared to carry a sloppy midsection. Can be slow off the snap and lax with back-side assignments. Needs to do a better job sustaining blocks. Will dip his head and fall off blocks. Can be mentally overloaded against the blitz (see Sam Bradford injury vs. BYU). Suspect commitment to the game. Was not voted a team captain. Marches to the beat of his own drum and lacks passion for the game. Skates by relying too much on his natural athletic ability. Too flashy and easily distracted and has a diva attitude.

Summary: Has as much athletic talent as any O-lineman in the draft, but teams will have reservations about investing too heavily given his selfish makeup at a blue-collar position. Has the talent to play all five positions and is strong, physical and extremely athletic and capable of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber performer in the pros. However, his lazy streak will likely prevent him from ever reaching his potential, and teams need to be fearful about how he will react to instant fame and fortune. A top-five talent whom most sound decision makers will wrestle with giving a top-15 payday. Has bust potential.

I can't wait to see who we get in the later rounds that's where Shanny gets the bulk of his oline from!

shanny talking about OL and drafting Clady for Denver:

Shanahan is now hoping to find similar players to rebuild the line in Washington, in part through the draft. Shanahan drafted Kuper (who Shanahan said would have been in high demand had he been an unrestricted free agent) in the fifth round in 2006 and Harris (who Shahanan called a future Pro Bowl player) in the third round in 2007.

“You’ve got to find those guys in the draft,” Shanahan said. “Those guys are out there, you’ve just got to make sure you find the right ones.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...e-o-line-envy/

Dunno about Bulaga. His short arms scare me though. 33.25 inches is pretty bad for an OT. Sounds like a guy that would fail at OT and then be moved to Guard and do great...with everyone wondering "Why didn't we just move him to guard in the first place?"

This really just reinforces my opinion that Okung isn't a "need" pick, he's a legitimate BPA pick. So Okung, Suh, Bradford, Berry...in some order, are top 5 guys BPA-wise. I'd be happy to have any of them on our team. But reaching for Bulaga or Williams? That seems like a bad idea. Not nearly the value we should be getting with a #4 pick.

I can't wait to see who we get in the later rounds that's where Shanny gets the bulk of his oline from!

shanny talking about OL and drafting Clady for Denver:

Shanahan is now hoping to find similar players to rebuild the line in Washington, in part through the draft. Shanahan drafted Kuper (who Shanahan said would have been in high demand had he been an unrestricted free agent) in the fifth round in 2006 and Harris (who Shahanan called a future Pro Bowl player) in the third round in 2007.

“You’ve got to find those guys in the draft,” Shanahan said. “Those guys are out there, you’ve just got to make sure you find the right ones.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...e-o-line-envy/

Those guys aren't LT. Clady has 36.75 inch arms, which makes me think he wants his LT's to be in that mold, meaning Okung and not Bulaga/Williams.

But yeah, I'd love to know what he thinks about our current o-line and prospects later on. He brought that Lichtensteiger guy or whatever over here.

Dunno about Bulaga. His short arms scare me though. 33.25 inches is pretty bad for an OT. Sounds like a guy that would fail at OT and then be moved to Guard and do great...with everyone wondering "Why didn't we just move him to guard in the first place?"

This really just reinforces my opinion that Okung isn't a "need" pick, he's a legitimate BPA pick. So Okung, Suh, Bradford, Berry...in some order, are top 5 guys BPA-wise. I'd be happy to have any of them on our team. But reaching for Bulaga or Williams? That seems like a bad idea. Not nearly the value we should be getting with a #4 pick.

You don't have to have vines for arms to be a great tackle. It certainly helps, but it's not a must have. Having great feet is FAR more important and Bulaga has em.

While Okung shares more of the physical characteristics of Ryan Clady, I think Bulaga has Denver Olineman qualities as well: nasty temperment, great technique, hard worker, and ability to get to the 2nd level and pick off LBs.

You don't have to have vines for arms to be a great tackle. It certainly helps, but it's not a must have. Having great feet is FAR more important and Bulaga has em.

You don't have to have long arms, but it really really helps if you do. Statistically, the longer armed LT's in the NFL give up fewer sacks. There are shorter armed guys that are very very good, but they're working with a deficit.

Archived