Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Green Grass & High Tides by The Outlaws is one of the best songs ever made.

skinsfan07

Meh.

Another reason that it was painful growing up in Virginia in the late 70s - listening to that endless boring song over and over. For every great Southern Rock band like the Allman Bros., Little Feat and Skynyrd, you had to listen to songs by ten yokel bands like these guys, or Molly Hatchett or 38 Special. Urg.

LOL. I saw The Outlaws, Molly Hatchett and Blackfoot together. Great show.

Meh.

Another reason that it was painful growing up in Virginia in the late 70s - listening to that endless boring song over and over. For every great Southern Rock band like the Allman Bros., Little Feat and Skynyrd, you had to listen to songs by ten yokel bands like these guys, or Molly Hatchett or 38 Special. Urg.

Little Feat, "southern rock"? oh boy, can't you just stick to devo and junk like that? Lowell George and Paul Barrere grew up in Hollywood and attended Hollywood HS together. LG played in Zappa's band before the majority of the band, that eventually became Little Feat, was Robert Palmer's band for his first few albums. Their music is hard to classify as it contains elements of many styles such as jazz, blues, funk, zydeco, dixieland, R&B, rock... But southern rock? not even close. :ols:

Little Feat, "southern rock"? oh boy, can't you just stick to devo and junk like that? Lowell George and Paul Barrere grew up in Hollywood and attended Hollywood HS together. LG played in Zappa's band before the majority of the band, that eventually became Little Feat, was Robert Palmer's band for his first few albums. Their music is hard to classify as it contains elements of many styles such as jazz, blues, funk, zydeco, dixieland, R&B, rock... But southern rock? not even close. :ols:

I'm not stuck on origins and nuances. I would venture to say that most people would categorize the Lowell George era of Little Feat as Southern Rock, close enough.

If it isn't then Southern Rock should just have quit with the Allmans and Skynyrd. The rest of the famous southern rock bands seem formulaic and boring to me.

No ZZ Top, Drive By Truckers, Wet Willie, Molly hatchet, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker Band, 38 Special, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blackfoot?

ZZ Top is entertaining. I don't know Drive By Truckers.

The rest of them do nothing for me.

No ZZ Top, Drive By Truckers, Wet Willie, Molly hatchet, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker Band, 38 Special, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blackfoot?

Rocky21 don't even try, predicto is twisted when it comes to music. Marshall Tucker is amazing band with a unique sound. I've seen ARS 5 times over 3 decades, the whole band are top session musicians from Muscle Shoals recording studio. Early Charlie Daniels lps (High Lonesome, Fire on the Mountain, Saddle Tramp...) were musical artwork fusion. That's why CD was tapped to groom Roy Buchanan, who unfortunately was struggling with addictions and didn't want to focus his style, much like Danny Gatton wouldn't. While Wet Willie was a bit more homefried and heavy on the gospel influences, Jimi Hall (singer, sax, harp player) has had a long career solo and as a hired gun, and has a fairly current blues cd that gets a lot of play in my car. Blackfoot is powerful band heavy on the guitar and vocals (predicto doesn't like guitar solos so go figure :pfft: ). The intro to Train Train is exciting no matter how many times you've heard it.

Rickey Medlocke (lead singer, lead guitar player, harp player) was an original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd and sang several songs on the LP "First and Last". 38 special is pop music band with a great singer in Don Barnes, who is still wailing while most singers from this era's vocal chords are toast.

I'm not stuck on origins and nuances. I would venture to say that most people would categorize the Lowell George era of Little Feat as Southern Rock, close enough.

you're not too stuck on musical knowledge but opine anyway :ols:.

Southern Rock maybe a broad term as it related to geographical location

of the band or musical style, and you struck out on both. :pfft:

you're not too stuck on musical knowledge but opine anyway :ols:.

Southern Rock maybe a broad term as it related to geographical location

of the band or musical style, and you struck out on both. :pfft:

Whatever you say. It is clear that the subject is very dear to you, so I defer to your particularized knowledge.

We all like what we like. I'm not insulting the South or anything by saying that the lesser Southern Rock bands don't interest me, no matter how you define them.

Rocky21 don't even try, predicto is twisted when it comes to music. Marshall Tucker is amazing band with a unique sound. I've seen ARS 5 times over 3 decades, the whole band are top session musicians from Muscle Shoals recording studio.
I usually hate discussing music on ES because eventually some idiot tries to tell me what an incredible blues guitarist John Mayer is. Anyone who knows where Lowell George went to high school is alright by me.:)

I’m not a big Marshall Tucker fan but the disc Stompin’ Room Only is just incredible.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wvfyxqtaldfe

I might have to check out that Jimmy Hall CD. Thanks.

Archived