Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: McShay: Bryant still sits atop WR class

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/columns/story?id=4950928

click link for entire article

Bryant still sits atop WR class

INDIANAPOLIS -- The story of the day on Friday at the NFL combine was obviously Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant announcing he will not run due to a hamstring injury turns out to be the story of the day.

Make no mistake, there are plenty of NFL scouts and coaches questioning the validity of Bryant's injury and the timing of his announcement and for certain teams in the league enough behavioral concerns exist to pass on Bryant in favor of a similarly-graded player at a different position.

But also keep in mind that there are only a handful of prospects in the 2010 class who possibly compare to the freakishly-gifted Bryant, and the bottom line is it will take a lot more than lying to NCAA investigators and opting not to run at the combine for Bryant to fall out of the first half of the first round and there isn't a receiver in this class capable of leapfrogging him.

Wide receivers report

Georgia Tech's Demaryius Thomas is also dealing with an injury (foot) which is likely to prevent him from running for NFL scouts prior to April's draft and Thomas was making a strong push to be the second receiver off the board after Bryant.

Now it's up to Arrelious Benn of Illinois to seize the moment. As an underclassman whose production was hurt by poor quarterback play, Benn can prove more during workouts than most players in Indianapolis this year. He will never be mistaken for Usain Bolt but it will help Benn's cause if he can post a 40-yard dash time in the high 4.4-second range.

He also needs to show suddenness in and out of breaks and strong hands during pass-catching drills,and to his credit Benn (6-foot-1, 219 pounds) appeared to be in peak physical condition during today's weigh-in session.

Big wideouts abound

One obvious trend when watching the wide receivers roam around Lucas Oil Stadium is that this year's crop has, as they say in NBA scouting circles, great length. In fact, 16 of the 44 receivers invited to the combine stand 6-2 or taller and seven of those 16 are at least 6-3.

Great NFL wide receivers come in all shapes and sizes but it should be noted that four of the top five NFL receivers in total yards leaders in 2009 were 6-foot-3 or taller (Andre Johnson, Miles Austin, Sidney Rice, Randy Moss). Here's a look at the 16 prospects looking to continue that trend, listed in descending order by height:

1. Danario Alexander, Missouri (6-4⅝, 215)

2. Stephen Williams, Toledo (6-4½, 210)

3. Riley Cooper, Florida (6-3⅜, 222)

4. Seyi Ajirotutu, Fresno State (6-3⅜, 204)

5. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech (6-3¼, 224)

6. Eric Decker, Minnesota (6-3⅛, 217)

7. David Gettis, Baylor (6-3, 217)

8. Carlton Mitchell (6-2⅞, 215)

9. Marcus Easley, Connecticut (6-2¾, 210)

10. Brandon LaFell, LSU, (6-2½, 211)

11. Blair White, Michigan State (6-2¼, 209)

12. Brandon Long, Louisville (6-2⅛, 216)

13. Kerry Meier, Kansas (6-2⅛, 216)

14. Chris Bell, Norfolk State (6-2⅛, 211)

15. Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 225)

16. Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas (6-2, 207)

Quartebacks report

The top two quarterbacks on our board got off to a strong start. Oklahoma's Sam Bradford measured 6-4¼ and tipped the scales at 236 pounds. He looked thicker than expected and the new look may help ease concerns about his durability.

Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen also checked in bigger than expected at 6-2⅝ and 222 pounds. Clausen didn't have a perfect day, though, tying two other prospects for the smallest hands among the quarterbacks .

A couple other QB positives from Friday:

• Cincinnati's Tony Pike looked borderline anemic when weighing in at 212 pounds at the Senior Bowl but is up to 223 at the combine. Pike must should continue to add weight to his 6-5¾ frame but his added bulk could be the start of a strong week considering he is willing to throw in Indianapolis while the three quarterbacks we rank ahead of him will not.

• Florida's Tim Tebow has the biggest hands (10⅛ inches) and appears to be in great shape at 6-2¾ and 236 pounds. Tebow's intangibles continued to shine as well when he said it's his dream to play quarterback in the NFL but that he would put the team first and play another position if asked. The reality is that Tebow would be a project at quarterback and may never excel at another position, but his selfless approach certainly can't hurt his draft stock.

Things did not go as smoothly for Texas QB Colt McCoy, who does not have prototypical size at just 6-1⅛ and 216 pounds. McCoy worked primarily out of the shotgun at Texas and his height raises concerns about his ability to scan the field when dropping from under center. In addition, McCoy is not expected to throw because the shoulder injury he suffered in the BCS title game has is not completely healed.

A couple other QB negatives:

• Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour might have read too many press clippings after his strong showing at the Senior Bowl. LeFevour says he will throw, but only to stationary targets rather than live receivers because he prefers to throw to receivers he's comfortable with and can get into a rhythm with.

Problem is, scouts would account for a quarterback throwing to receivers he doesn't know. They understand that it can make a quarterback's timing and accuracy appear worse than they actually are. Teams also want to see how quarterbacks handle the high-pressure situation. LeFevour projects as a third-round pick so he had better pound the strike zone when throwing to those stationary targets if he wants to improve his stock.

• At just 5-10⅞ and 187 pounds Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards lacks the size to line up at quarterback in the NFL and would be wise to participate in drills with the receivers if possible. Though we are not sold on Edwards' ability to play receiver in the NFL, getting some reps there would improve his chances of getting drafted late or signing as a rookie free agent because he has more upside at receiver than any other position.

• 1 month later...

he doesnt sound too bright here...

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant lashed out at his skeptics to the Associated Press following his Tuesday Pro Day, insisting the criticism "has gone too far" and saying "he ain't never got in trouble with nobody."

Well, this won't help him. "I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This here is too far," Bryant said. "Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? Y'all don't want me to go to the NFL or something? It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did." Bryant also defended Pacman Jones. "Why down talk the man," Bryant said of Pacman. "The man did everything right."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

He is nowhere near Randy Moss! Randy was a Freak coming out of college this guys ran a 4.5 and never dominated NCAA. He reminds me more of A. Boldin not R. Moss.

I watched a lot of OK St. games the last 2 years, and I assure you he did dominate. He routinely beat double coverage lining up all over the field, and he was a dynamic punt returner. His problem is that he's too immature, and sensitive.

"he ain't never got in trouble with nobody."

"I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This here is too far,"

Bryant also defended Pacman Jones. "Why down talk the man," Bryant said of Pacman. "The man did everything right."

Wow. This is one of those cases where duct tape would have been the proper remedy. I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole, especially if he's defending Pacman of all people. :doh:

What an *** clown.

I watched a lot of OK St. games the last 2 years, and I assure you he did dominate. He routinely beat double coverage lining up all over the field, and he was a dynamic punt returner. His problem is that he's too immature, and sensitive.

I don't see what you see, he didn't dominate in the big games and he's not lightning fast. He's good but not Randy moss good.

I don't see what you see, he didn't dominate in the big games and he's not lightning fast. He's good but not Randy moss good.

That's why I think as a prospect he's more comparable to Brandon Marshall, with the size and after-the-catch ability that isn't necessarily dependent on raw speed. He's much less lanky then Moss in my eyes. Another million dollar body paired with a ten cent mind.

That's why I think as a prospect he's more comparable to Brandon Marshall, with the size and after-the-catch ability that isn't necessarily dependent on raw speed. He's much less lanky then Moss in my eyes. Another million dollar body paired with a ten cent mind.

I agree he is more of a Brandon Marshall than a Randy Moss. And really how many people are as good as Randy Moss was coming out of college?

Bryant did dominate in 08 he had 1500 yds and 20 td's...thats dominating

Then what ARE you seeing? If all you're saying as a negative is that he's not Randy Moss, then you're making my arguement for me.No one is, or was Randy Moss, PERIOD. Bryant did'nt play the majority of last year so he's not fresh in everyone's memory. He dominated a lot of Big 12 games, especially the '08 game where his team scored 50+ ano lost to OU.

Then what ARE you seeing? If all you're saying as a negative is that he's not Randy Moss, then you're making my arguement for me.No one is, or was Randy Moss, PERIOD. Bryant did'nt play the majority of last year so he's not fresh in everyone's memory. He dominated a lot of Big 12 games, especially the '08 game where his team scored 50+ ano lost to OU.

I'll agree with that but what point are we making on here? He will not be a skin so who cares where he lands! I hope he can learn plays because he clearly didn't learn to speak proper english while at OKst!

I'll agree with that but what point are we making on here? He will not be a skin so who cares where he lands! I hope he can learn plays because he clearly didn't learn to speak proper english while at OKst!

You're right, he won't come here. Being out of football last season did'nt help him. He does remind me of Marshall, which is good, and bad.

Archived