Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Girl's arrest for doodling raises concerns about zero tolerance

MattFancy

Ignorance on my behalf? Because I'm not assuming if she was "permanently" damaged? No, what is permanently damaged is the desk.

So give her a week's detention. Force her to wash the desks during lunch; that's what one of our teachers did if we were caught. It's a stupid desk. Half of desks have been drawn on in schools older than like 10 years.

I love the attitude of "hey, if nothing else she'll never do it again".

The kid was wrong, but the school was unjust. Trust me, if this had happened in my old high school those people would have been hit with a barrage of graffiti that would have made their heads spin. Two can play the game of "they'll be afraid to try it again" and the kids I knew would have gone with massive retaliation.

I don't really believe that anyone honestly agrees with this punishment. Zero tolerance is a policy that is creeping into every aspect of life and it's a way of taking decisions away from traditional decision-makers. It's all a by-product of our society waiting to pounce on examples of someone being treated unfairly. The thought-process is this: If we punish by the book, we're safe.

It's sad really. The proper way to deal with MOST things that come up in schools is case-by-case depending on the kid, circumstances, and offense. Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag.

I just don't understand the outrage. Being handcuffed and booked is not a big deal and won't be on your record you know. It's the conviction that's the killer.

Is it excessive? Of course. Is it technically the "by the book" thing to do? Yes.

If you don't like it, write to your congressman to have them revoke vandalism laws.

But I understand from this thread that cops should only enforce laws at societies discretion.

Write to my congressman? HA!! I seriously don't even think you believe your position at this point.

Let me tell ya something, if this happened in MY child's school district, the only thing i'd be writing to my congressman is to stop wasting my friggin tax dollars by allowing the police to be sent to arrest a 12 year old girl for writing on her damn desk.

If you like your taxes going to outrageously dumb BS like this, so be it....but i have a feeling that MOST Americans with a even a shred of common sense would disagree with you here.

Like Destino said...this entire ordeal was a giant waste of time, money, and resources. Arguing on principle in a situation such as this that calls for discretion is just absurd, bottom line.

Corrected that for you.

I would suggest that you take down that quote soon! I'm really sorry that you made a fool of yourself by not reading, now you resort to making **** up in order to make yourself feel better. sad and pathetic really.

I might add I reported you already.

Archived