Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compare our new coaches w/ Gibbs 2..

skinnyles

In trying to get a feel for what this board thinks in one post.....

AND not being as savvy as my ES brothers and sisters.... how does everyone think the coaches, so far, compare to the Gibbs 2 hirings. As I recall that was supposed to be "THE Dream Coaching Team".

My feelings, now, are that the Gibbs 2 coaches were selections based on JG's desires and previous relations. The Shanny / Allen coaches seem to be more of "Best Coach Available" and to me that is going to be fantastic.

Thoughts!

I feel like these coaches are MUCH more following an offensive and defensive vision than those coaches did. Plus there is a general consensus that change is needed and fans are restless, which wasn't the feeling before the Gibbs hire imo. I think this coaching team fits a new philosophy, and is setting the franchise up for long term success (Kyle Shanahan probably taking over in several years and most likely having an established offensive philosophy already when he does).

Although we haven't seen this team put together one game yet this feels more like Shanahan/Allen bringing in people to fit their plan. Gibbs 2.0 felt more like they were bringing in people to take over what they specialize in and didn't really follow the same gameplan

Maybe this would of been better served after the full staff is assembled; but we're all excited by the new regime, so to date, I'm exceptionally happy with all the moves. Coach Mike said he was gona' build a top class staff out of the very best men he could, and he sure as heck has started out that way.

I love the idea of getting top class, experienced 34 versed guys in on the D to impart their knowledge to the players. Everything is about change, and BOY have we needed that for WAY too long now.

I'll revisit this thread when he has his full staff in place to compare the two skinnyles my good man. :cheers:.

Hail.

To me, Joe Gibbs was courted back by Snyder. Gibbs was happy not doing the NFL thing for years and had to be persuaded back. Shanahan, on the other hand, was fired after a few mediocre seasons and instead of taking the time off and doing other things, he studied the NFL. He studied coaches, schemes, players, trends, etc. The Bruce Allen / Mike Shanahan combination seems a lot more hungry for wins than Gibbs 2 and better prepared. At least that is the way I see it.

I would also like to see what we do with our scouting department but it would appear its staying intact for now..would be nice to grab someone from a team thats running the 3-4 as theyd have a good idea as to the type of player they want.

er sorry though thats a bit off topic, I like the choices we have made so far..though very upset we won't be getting the OL coaches we wanted.

Gibbs' coaches were out of the NFL too long and were too old... Don Breaux? No doubt they brought experience, but perhaps he should have gotten Al Saunders from the beginning...

Actually the biggest mistake I feel Joe made was getting Brunell instead of Kurt Warner.

I would also like to see what we do with our scouting department but it would appear its staying intact for now..would be nice to grab someone from a team thats running the 3-4 as theyd have a good idea as to the type of player they want.

er sorry though thats a bit off topic, I like the choices we have made so far..though very upset we won't be getting the OL coaches we wanted.

They just did with the hire of LB coach from the Steelers.

Gibbs' coaches were out of the NFL too long and were too old... Don Breaux? No doubt they brought experience, but perhaps he should have gotten Al Saunders from the beginning...

Actually the biggest mistake I feel Joe made was getting Brunell instead of Kurt Warner.

Gibbs staff was a mixed bag. As far as the coordinators/associate head coaches like Williams and Saunders I feel they were as good or better than Shanny Jr./Haslett. Saunders never had success here but had a great track record coming in. Shanny Jr. seems to have the same reputation as an offensive genius, hopefully he will have more success.

Williams I think was a better defensive mind than Haslett but again that remains to be seen how he fits with our defense. The assistants were not great under Gibbs 2.0. Stan Hixon is an enemy of most of ES, Don Breaux didn't seem to have a real role, but Buges has been a fan favorite.

It's really hard to tell untill Shanahan/Allen complete the coaching staff. The main difference I see is Cerratto being replaced by Allen. This will likely be the key.

They just did with the hire of LB coach from the Steelers.

well i meant more along the lines of college scouting or so, i mean im sure he has an eye for talent but someone who can put some players of a draft board with confidence and say they will work.

This group which is being built.seems like the real deal (dream team) it seems Shanny has a philosophy here and he has a mission...see...Gibbs and company were a great hire as well...but...I think Gibbs thought ok...gonna grab the old crew and make a second run at this thing..but im not completely sold Gibbs had it in his heart from day one to take the bull by the horns...I think Danny had a lot to do with Gibbs coming back...Shanny on the other hand...he wants this...in a real nasty ugly way (at least that is my impression) A HOF coach getting fired...I'm hoping Denver will regret this big time!!

Archived