Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan's Record Against the NFC East Since 1995

TSO

Alright fellas, I thought I'd do a little research to see how the harbinger of hope that is our new head coach had fared against the NFC East in the past.

I don't think I have to explain why this win-loss record is relevant. I also felt that the most constructive statistic would be the win-loss record while he was head coach of the Broncos, as it accurately reflects how his team played against our division, and not just his offense. Which is why this starts from 1995, when he began his reign there.

So enough talk and let's get to the juicy stuff (stats taken from http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ ):

1995 Season

September 10 L Dallas Cowboys 21 31

September 17 W Washington Redskins 38 31

November 12 L Philadelphia Eagles 13 31

1995 Summary:

1-2 against the NFC East.

Lost against the Cowboys ('95 Super Bowl Cowboys, mind you), won against us in an offensive shoot out, and got stomped on by the Eagles in what was Shanahan's first season at HC for the Broncos.

1996-97 Seasons

No games played against the NFC East

1998 Season

September 13 W Dallas Cowboys 42 23

September 27 W Washington Redskins 38 16

October 4 W Philadelphia Eagles 41 16

December 13 L New York Giants 16 20

1998 Summary:

3-1 against the NFC East.

Domination. The loss against the Giants may seem surprising, but in reality the Broncos came in at 13-0 and probably weren't trying anymore, as they backed into the playoffs finishing 1-2. It didn't matter, as they won the Super Bowl anyway.

1999-2000 Seasons

2001 Season

September 10 W New York Giants 31 20

November 18 LWashington Redskins 10 17

November 22 W Dallas Cowboys 26 24

2001 Summary:

2-1 against the NFC East.

Beat the Giants in an impressive win, lost against us in another low scoring fare that is our style, and beat the Cowboys in a close one. No Eagles in 2001, but I'm happy with these results.

2002-2004 Seasons

2005 Season

October 9 W Washington Redskins 21 19

October 23 L New York Giants 23 24

October 30 W Philadelphia Eagles 49 21

November 24 W Dallas Cowboys 24 21

2005 Summary:

3-1 against the NFC East.

Most of us should remember this win against us here, a close one with Joe Gibbs at the helm and Brunell playing some of his best football throwing to Moss, lost to the Giants in a very tight one, demolished the Eagles, and beat the Cowboys in a close one.

2006-2008 Seasons

1995 - 2008 Overall Record Summary:

9-5 record against the NFC East.

Losses consist of mostly one score differential types - or really tight games - except in his first season in 1995. Out of the 9 wins, 5 of them were what you could consider dominant performances. Looks like we got a coach that fits right in with this division. I'm officially excited. :)

And all that with a team built to win in the AFC west.

This spells only good things, I hope.

When was the last time the Skins beat an NFC east opponent?

Yeah... it just shows that his teams, specifically on offense, can handle the so-called physicality of the NFC East defenses. He had no problem playing our brand of football. That's awesome news to me considering that many label his offense as "finesse".

Yeah... it just shows that his teams, specifically on offense, can handle the so-called physicality of the NFC East defenses. He had no problem playing our brand of football. That's awesome news to me considering that many label his offense as "finesse".

I don't know how any team that was so "plug'n'play" at the running back position could be considered "finesse." There has to be some physicality involved with a team that can turn anyone into a 1,000 yard rusher. I just can't wait to see this operation in motion for the Skins.

Good Job on finding that out.

Thanks... took me a while, lol.

95 was his first year as coach. Subtract that and he was 8-3!

Yeah, to be honest I wasn't sure what I would find when I started doing this research. I was actually thinking his record would be so-so... let's just say I was pleasantly surprised. He seemed on top of the NFC East teams and their schemes, which is great news.

Awesome sig. Zoe Saldana is so hot... even when she's blue haha.

Last time the Skins beat an NFCE opponent? Well at least a year ago...

December 21st, 2008...Skins beat the Eagles at Fedex. Coincidentally, that was the last game I attended.

I thought of doing this last week. I wasn't patient enough and gave up. I kept thinking he was about 50/50 with the NFC East and I figured I'd get hammered when I posted it as drinking the cool aid and not being subjective. I'm glad you did this cause looking at the total he (Shanahan) has fared pretty well in the NFC East.

I was mainly trying to see how he did against Dallas and Giants. Hopefully we have better talent then what he had in Denver and does better then when he was there also.

I thought of doing this last week. I wasn't patient enough and gave up. I kept thinking he was about 50/50 with the NFC East and I figured I'd get hammered when I posted it as drinking the cool aid and not being subjective. I'm glad you did this cause looking at the total he (Shanahan) has fared pretty well in the NFC East.

I was mainly trying to see how he did against Dallas and Giants. Hopefully we have better talent then what he had in Denver and does better then when he was there also.

lol, ES can make you think thrice before posting something, huh?

• 2 years later...
Diging up the old stuff but I'm trying to find Shanahans all time record against the cowgirls. Anyone know?

Wouldnt the original post summarize it? Then you just have to add up the wins against the Cowboys and add the ones hes gotten since he's been here.

Edit: I got curious and did the math for you. Prior to coming to DC, Mike was 3-1 against the Cowboys. Since here, he finished 1-1, 0-2 and 1-0, so right now he is 5-4 against the Boys, just over .500.

Archived