Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per:Roto:NFL Network 's Steve Wyche"hearing" Clinton Portis' days in Washington ...

x96bryan10

Shanahan's M.O. has been rotating less heralded backs. Olandis Gary, Mike Bell, Selvin Young, Tatum Bell, Peyton Hillis. He can make his offense work with a collection of backs. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a true starter but I don't think it's that important to him.

so what do you propose the team give up to support an army of middling RBs?

INSANITY

This worked out GREAT for us this year.

There are 5th-7th round rookies and street free agents that we could get more production from.

Sorry man, I VEHEMENTLY disagree.

Why, Quinton, Rock, Marcus all looked better than CP, or atleast as good. Don't forget Ladell Betts either. Add to that Shanny has a known knack for finding a plug-in RB and any of those guys could fill that role.

We would need a great O-line for this unit to be effective. I wouldn't be against drafting a speed back that is lacking (McCluster) and bulking up the O-line and using these backs (might have to cut one of them)

Obviously we needed a great OL for two years now for Campbell and Portis to excel, that is no news flash.

Shanahan doesn't need CP to win because of his history with developing no-name RB's. I think this is a pretty obvious move unless the FO decides they would rather get another year off his release hit.

That's only possible when you have an offensive line which we don't.

This post is full of fail.

For one the post is speculative as can be yet you guys are reading this as fact because you all are haters of Portis. Fine Portis has haters, that's news?

Second people are pointing to a bunch of no name scrubs to replace Portis as if they give us the best chance of running. That's complete bull. Here's the reality folks. Portis is our best Running Back.

Here's the stats about the men we have on the team from last year:

Portis:

8 starts

8 games

494 yards

4.0 yard per carry average

1 TD

Ganther:

4 starts

8 games

201 yards

3.2 per carry average

3 TD's

Betts:

2 starts

10 games

210 yards

3.8 per carry average

2 TD's

Rock:

2 starts

16 games

228 yards

3.6 per carry average

0 TD's

There you have it folks. Who's our best Running Back? Stop thinking that Portis is worse then anyone else. He's not.

Last point. The difficulties with Portis with not practicing can and will be addressed. You have to realize that is a reflection of the head coaches as much as it is on the player. Does anyone really think Shanny's going to let Portis run free with out practicing? He's not the wimp that Zorn and Stump are. He's not going to let Portis run to the owner. So what they came out and said everyone must practice. Yea that was said to Portis mostly, but that doesn't mean they are going to dump the man like he's trash.

Who knows if Snyder will let the man go and release him when he still owes Portis millions. You can pretend that you know that Snyder's going to pay him that guaranteed money and then release him but you don't know that for certain. Portis is still young in age and took half of the season off so he's going to be fresh for next season. My money's on Portis getting one more chance here, or one more year here.

Look no one hear knows what the New Regime will do...

But we do know that there will be demands to practice, be in shape and make a commitment to your fellow redskin teammates. Gotta love this. Shanahan will not allow a cancer to exist on the team. So it will be up to the players.

What if Portis comes back in the best shape of his career, we do not know that right and if he doesn't he will more likely be gone since there is no CBA and we will not take a cap hit. But you never know.

I did like Shanahan comment that you design your game plan around your talent. You do not try to fit a square peg in a round hole... So even if Campbell stays he will design plays and systems that will take advantage of what talents he does have..... But I am sure there will be competition with Colt and a new draft pick whether in the first or not will be seen....

Lets let the Staff do there job and see what happens! I know I am excited to have some accountability on board!

My money's on Portis getting one more chance here, or one more year here.

What did my post say?

"I think this is a pretty obvious move unless the FO decides they would rather get another year off his release hit."

BTW - I'm not a Portis hater, just a realist.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=7144980#post7144980

Post #5..."I think CP is worried about Shanny coming in because Shanny proved he didn't need CP in Denver."

I would think the first move would be to see if there was any trade value for him on the market. Not sure if there would be for a rb with so many miles on and a ridiculous contract.

Next move would be to see how he handles the offseason. If he buys into shanahan's philosophy, practices, and performs then I'd love to have him back next season. If not I would like to see allen and shanahan show that no one is above the rest of the team. Cut him lose and go with a committee.

Even if he is a perfect citizen and shows he hasn't lost a step we still need to pick up a RB in the mid rounds of the draft. We should have been spelling him with a younger back for years. A lesson pretty much every single other team in the nfl has learned cept for us.

Peyton Hillis

Marcus Mason

Quinton Ganther

Rock Cartwright

Lineup for an adequate and inexpensive running game next season.

No.

No.

No.

No.

That is not adequate. Ganther sucked. I am sick of everyone loving the guy. 3.2 YPC is abysmal. He had games where his YPC was 1.3, 2.0, 1.9, 2.1 and 2.3.

You all do realize that CP had the top YPC between him and all 3 of his replacements (tied with Mason but far more carries makes his number the better of the two), right?

New mentality with this team...

IF you don't put the work in, you're gone.... I don't care how good you are and if we have to put in a less talented player...

I want the team to have a good attitude, and not be pissed off that someone is being treated differently, or is more special than someone else.... those days are done...

Its all about team now.

It is time for an upgrade at running back. Portis is slow and not the game breaker that Clinton once was. Maybe the Skins can find the next Chris Johnson. I initially criticized the Titans drafting Johnson after just not too long ago drafting Lendale White but look who is smiling now.

That is not adequate. Ganther sucked. I am sick of everyone loving the guy. 3.2 YPC is abysmal. He had games where his YPC was 1.3, 2.0, 1.9, 2.1 and 2.3.

He did have a few big gainers that were catches out of the backfield. I'm not really defending him but behind our o-line i dont think many backs would have great YPC stats.

From what Steve Wyche is hearing? You mean, the same presser we all heard? He's just injecting his opinion based on hearing the same thing we all heard. He may be right, but this doesn't exactly sound like inside information to me. Sounds like one guy's opinion.

Uncapped year.... he is gone, no question in my mind whatsoever. He ruined his chance at the redskins rushing record and to end his term with the skins on a positive note by being a malcontent, whiner, lazy, and a poor teammate. Nobody can tell me different at this point.

BTW - I'm not a Portis hater, just a realist.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=7144980#post7144980

Post #5..."I think CP is worried about Shanny coming in because Shanny proved he didn't need CP in Denver."

You must not have understood why I quoted your post when I made mine.

That quote right there is only half true. Let me explain

Shanny in Denver had one of the best offensive lines in the game. Does anyone dispute that?

It was the offensive line that allowed those running backs to come in and rush for 1000 yards. The system those running backs were playing in gave them all great holes to run through and all of the running backs had great success in that offense. The players ability had little to do with it, it was the offensive line more then anything.

Shanny traded us Portis to get Bailey because he believed he could throw any Running Back in there and have success and getting a shut down corner like Bailey was not something he could get off the street. It had little to do with Portis or a reflection on Portis. It was Champ Bailey and his Offensive Line. And Shanny was right to an extent. He did have 1000 yard running backs after Portis but none of them ran for 1500 yards like Portis did.

What do we need here? An offensive line. You have to realize that will take time to develop. Shanny didn't build Denvers line in a single season. It took him a couple of years to do that. So next year based on previous years and this years results I see no reason to think that Portis does not give us the best chance to run the ball. As long as he straightens up and practices again that will only help the man and the team. He stays another year.

He did have a few big gainers that were catches out of the backfield. I'm not really defending him but behind our o-line i dont think many backs would have great YPC stats.

Then if that's true which I believe it is, that shows how much better Portis is then these other men because he was the only one to average 4 yards a carry last season. He beat Ganther by almost a full yard. We were passing more once Portis went down for the year which would have made rushing easier. Portis is a much better running back then Ganther physically. Ganther could be the better teammate then Portis but that can be fixed. Portis has been put on notice. It's up to him to respond and show his true character. If he won't practice then he's gone, but I bet he will.

My sense is CP will be gone too. Shanahan had success replacing running backs all the time in his system, and finding efficient ones from all kinds of places. To me, that would lead him to have confidence that you don't need to overpay or put up with too much garbage when it comes to the RB position.

Throw on top of that the fact that, fairly or unfairly, CP has come to be the player that symbolizes the "me first, I get special treatment" culture of the organization, the fact that he's hitting the age wall and has a lot of miles on the tires, and that an uncapped year could essentially allow him to be cut at no expense other than the hit to Dan's wallet — and I think it all adds up to a pretty compelling argument for why he won't return.

Now, having said all that, I think he's talented and plays all out when he's on the field. He plays with real passion, when he wants to. He makes too much money to be traded, but if he is cut, I fully expect that he gets himself in better shape, signs some sort of modest contract with a team like the Pats (after all, he can afford to thanks to all that guaranteed money he'll be getting from Dan), and shows that he can be a real effective contributor for another season or two.

I don't know. Looking at this year only, I'd say Portis was our worst runner. Missed holes, never broke a tackle, couldn't get to the corner (when it was open), and had terrible balance.

But even if it's true, saying Portis is better than Ganther and Mason who were mid season street pick ups is not saying a lot. In fact, the possibility that you can make an argument that either were competitive or better than Portis just shows you how incredibly lousy he was.

Portis rushed with a 4 yard per carry average, that's not bad, he is defiantly better than anyone else that we have.

Portis is worth the money next year if he is healthy. The Skins have no viable NFL RBs besides him so either they draft one and play him, or they play Portis. It just seems more logical that they play Portis (if he is healthy of course).

Exactly. Should we be drafting a running back? No, not when we need so many other players.

I will accept that argument so long as its valid for JC as well.

Haha conceded. I'm not a JC basher in the least. He is a team guy and marched out to get taken to the ground literally every single passing down of the last few games. Nothing but respect for the man.

Not to say I would be livid if we drafted a new QB either.

Was it me or can anyone remember Portis running for more than five yards on any carry this year?

I remember one big run (I believe his biggest since his first carry) then as suspected he went to the sideline and looked like he was going to die from exhaustion. :doh:

Archived