Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arenas suspended indefinitely by Stern

Dan T.

The NBA has apparently seen enough of Gilbert Arenas' gunplay, and it looks like the Wizards' star won't see game action for quite some time.

League Commissioner David Stern suspended Arenas indefinitely on Wednesday without pay, saying he is "not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," and that the guard's actions "will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Federal prosecutors have convened a grand jury to explore an incident involving Arenas and handguns in the team locker room. Arenas spoke to prosecutors about the incident for two hours Monday.

Tuesday night might have been the last straw as far as the league was concerned. A Getty image shot during pre-game warmups in Philadelphia showed Arenas smiling and pointing his fingers at teammates as if they were guns. Arenas later tweeted about the incident, saying "I know everybody seen the pre game pics..my teammate thought to break the tention we should do that..but this is gettn way to much. I wanna say sorry if I p***ed any body off by us havin fun...I'm sorry for anything u need to blame for for right now."

That incident, and his teammates' reaction, didn't sit well with Wizards management.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/NBA-Suspends-Gilbert-Arenas-Indefinitely-80824477.html

Archived