Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forgotten Man: Angelo Crowell

method man

One of the FAs that some on this board were taking a hard look at last offseason was SLB Angelo Crowell who was coming off a minor injury with the Bills. He ended up signing a 1-year deal with the Bucs but tore his biceps in the preseason and missed this year.

I feel Crowell's value is at its lowest this coming offseason, but I also feel that he is a good player and a great fit, especially if we retaing Jerry Gray as the DC, because Crowell played for Gray in Buffalo and had sick seasons there. This offseason, we need to make this guy an offer, even if it may be for the minimum. Getting Crowell would allow us to move Orakpo to being a full-time DE and would allow us to draft a SLB in Day 2 or Day 3 instead of Day 1. I also think that Crowell could potentially be our Fletcher replacement at MLB once Fletch hangs em up. Granted, at 28, Crowell is no spring chicken, but the fact that he has not really played in 2 years due to somewhat minor injuries makes him young in terms of NFL age by giving his body time to heal.

Furthermore, because this is going to be an uncapped year, Crowell will be one of only a few UFAs on the market.

Furthermore, because this is going to be an uncapped year, Crowell will be one of only a few UFAs on the market.

that alone may drive his price up a bit. however I do remember people talking about him last offseason, it would be a nice pickup allowing us to be flexible elsewhere.

There's no reason to believe that we would be able to count on him for anything. Bring him in for the minimum, sure, but to believe that he'll be able to come in without playing for a couple years and be consistently productive enough to move Orakpo to DE full time? There's really no reason to believe he'll last through week 8 as it is.

The ol' "vet min + incentives" I think is in effect here.

yeah i remember when a lot of people on this board were clamoring for him. i totally forgot he was still in the nfl....

he definitely might have a place with the skins, especially if (when) we've got a new coach who wants to bring in his own players

He would definitely be a good signing IMO. He's only 28 and was a solid player alongside Fletch for a few years in Buffalo. Plus with his recent injury history he would come here without breaking the bank and could possibly help us to move Rak to DE full-time. Although Rak is doing great in the hybrid role.

I remember being interested in him last offseason and we still need help at SLB. However, I did some research and it seems he had never even fully recovered from his previous knee surgery. There were questions of whether he would even make the Bucs. That said, I have no problem giving him a one year vet min deal(he should be happy to get that) to see if he can get passed the injuries. We should be attractive to him(depending on our coaching situation) because he would feel comfortable being re-teamed with Fletch.

I remember being interested in him last offseason and we still need help at SLB. However' date=' I did some research and it seems he had never even fully recovered from his previous knee surgery. There were questions of whether he would even make the Bucs. That said, I have no problem giving him a one year vet min deal(he should be happy to get that) to see if he can get passed the injuries. We should be attractive to him(depending on our coaching situation) because he would feel comfortable being re-teamed with Fletch.[/quote']

Good point but keep in mind that it generally takes 2 years to recover from knee surgery. I think the torn biceps is kind of a blessing in disguise for him, because it allows him to let the rest of his body heal.

Archived