Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Chargers Media Release

Mark The Homer

rednr.jpg

Just three seasons into his second tenure in San Diego, Norv Turner has already established himself as one of the most successful coaches in franchise history. Only the sixth head coach in NFL history to lead a team to the Championship Game in his first season at the helm, Turner has guided the Chargers to three consecutive AFC West titles and three playoff wins, tied with Don Coryell and Bobby Ross for the most in team history. The Chargers are 13-0 in December under Turner's helm.

In 2008, Turner led the Chargers through one of the greatest turnaround seasons in NFL history. His team started 4-8, but won its final four in a row to close the season 8-8. The Chargers won the AFC West title and became the first team in the current division format to win their division when trailing by three games with three left to play.

Click the graphic to download the pdf file (please allow adequate time for the download)...

I still have a very hard time being convinced that Turner is anything better than a mediocre coach who got given a very, very talented team. IMO, the GM there is due most of the credit for their success. I am surprised by how well they've played despite his coaching though and I'd love to root for them against the likes of the Colts and Pats but I still have a tough time with Norval at the helm.

i don't think norv is a bad coach.

but he was certainly given a very talented team.

the charges got brees, manning, and rivers through the draft. they let 2 of those go in trades.... they have volek and whitehurst on the bench - which the scouts I know say are great QB's, volek has never gotten a real chance ot take over the starting position because he's always been behind a good QB, but has put up great numbers when he gets the chance to play (~60%, ~80 qb rating, and about 2x td to int ratio).

the chargers have an amazing GM and knack for drafting great tallent. I honestly think almost any coach could go there and be great. Norv is a great offensive mind - so that only helps.

this game has been playing havoc with vegas... opened up at chargers -7 and has been bet down to -4 based on rumors norv will rest their starters... then today norv stated he wanted to play all his starters and build momentum for the playoffs...

what I can't understand is who is betting on the chargers even if they will be playing their second string?

Norv, Marty, Gibbs, Henning, lots of coaching similarities between us and the Bolts. They are the team I root for when the Redskins suck, going to be fun watching us play at Qualcomm, I was front row for the last game 6 years ago. That one ended in a loss, I think this one will too but I would like to see a good game.

I have to say this in that the Chargers are a really good team despite Norv. Maybe Norv has actually learned how to coach in spite of being here in a dysfunctional situation and as well in Oakland. It is bad when Norv Turner looks good for leaving and we look like the laughing stock of the league.

Thanks for posting this. You making the trip MarkTH?

BadKarma its funny you say that. When ever the skins aren't in contention I root for the Chargers in the playoffs also.

Hmm. Let's see - I'll drop at least $500, probably more, we'll surely lose, Neither team has anything to play for. Let me think about it... :silly:

Save your money Boss. The Skins have more (less?) to gain from a loss - a win really could push them to the bottom of the top ten in the draft depending on other games. Besides, I do not know if SD is too worried about beating the Skins with backups anyway - especially at home.

Archived