Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green --- Prick?

DSF

Not sure if anyone else has had problems with Darrell but he was in Manassas about a week ago for some charity event Ken Harvey was staging I believe at Splashdown. Anyway, a few of my colleagues who were in charge of the grounds at the event asked him to sign some autographs for either them or their kids. He flat out refused and acted very much like a prick about it.

Now granted I wasnt there but I was taken off guard to hear that especially from SEVERAL people who approached him at different times. Just wondering if anyone else has had problem with Darrell acting like an a$$?

~DSF

Heh, I love the 'Skins through and through...

But I've never approached the man himself about autographs. Just wondering if anyone else got the same treatment?.. I was taken off guard by it since he does so much charity anyway. Might have been a bad day, I dunno... But my colleagues were adament about how he treated them.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again. "Never meet your heroes".

I've met Darrell on several occassions, once even on a very casual level. He was an extreme-arsehole.com and then some.

As a guest of a former player at training camp 2 years ago, I was wandering around the Redskins training facility and in shock at how my 8 yr old son and I were treated by him and recounted the occurance to a teamate of his. To which the teammate responded, "Of course, I'll bet there were no television camera's around."

Nuff said. Great player - THE BEST. PRICK, you betcha!

I have heard on may occasion that Darrell is not the most fan friendly player. I had a post last year about encounters with Redskin Players and most of the posts of encounters with Darrell were not good encounters.

I don't know if the guy really is a prick or is it that he does not crave the limelight like some NFL Players.

With that said I have 20 Seasons of memories of him on the field and he is still my favorite Redskin.

I had the opposite sort of encounter with D. Green -- granted, it was a number of years ago. I was working in Tyson's Corner at the same software company as his brother-in-law Rudy, who brought Darrell by for a visit one day. Must have been in about 1985. I pulled out my collection of Washington Post sports sections from the 1982 championship year, and Darrell spent about half an hour flipping through them and commenting. I don't remember much of what he said, except that he was a big fan of Alvin Garrett -- one of the original smurfs, and the target of Cosell's infamous "look at that little monkey run" remark. Garrett stepped in for an injured Art Monk that year in the playoffs and caught several balls for TDs; even successfully running Art's trademark fade route into the corner at his majestic height of 5'9" or so. Darrell mentioned that Alvin had really taken him under his wing during Darrell's rookie year, and said he was really down when Alvin was released a year or so later.

Darrell hung out for about an hour and was polite to everybody in the shop, then headed out with Rudy. Now granted, this was nearly 20 years of fame ago, and I have no idea what the man is like now, but my own memories are good ones.

One final note: Rudy was a track star in high school, but he said that in pickup football games, Darrell could cover him *without turning around* -- just backpedalled at about 25 mph...

I am trying to imagine what it must be like to feel like you're a man on a mission, and to feel grateful that football has given you the financial means to achieve that mission, yet to despise the fact that people care so damn much about something so meaningless in the grand scheme of the world.

I would bet that DG feels something like this on a regular basis, and it has jaded his view of those seeking his attention because of his on-field exploits.

I imagine that someone who wanted to talk to him about his YLF instead of seeking his autograph might get to see a different side of DG.

Perhaps not, and the guy really is a schmuck... but if so, then at least he has channeled his money and activities towards acts of community improvement, which is more than can be said of many players.

Perhaps not, and the guy really is a schmuck... but if so, then at least he has channeled his money and activities towards acts of community improvement, which is more than can be said of many players.

I cannot argue with that BLADE. That is a fact worth something more than a thousand autographs.

I'm just sorry that my impressions of him have been tarnished.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

I cannot argue with that BLADE. That is a fact worth something more than a thousand autographs.

I'm just sorry that my impressions of him have been tarnished.

Yeah I tend to agree with Blade...

However, going to a charity event created by an ex teammate and not to expect people to ask for your autograph is a little naive. I'm sure he had to expect it though, but it was his treatment of how he responded to those individuals; that got people pissed at him.

I understand he feels like a man on a mission. His own charity work is phenominal, but if I was going to someone elses charity event than I would be a little bit more engaging I guess. I doubt Ken Harvey would go to his events and treat people like pricks. I could be wrong, who knows.

I still admire DG for his off and on the field accolades but this does tarnish my image of him slightly. I mean if your not in the mood to be engaging to the people at the charity event, then why go?..

Like I said earlier I wasnt there so I dont know all the circumstances as to the event itself other than it involved a group of 'skins headlined by Ken Harvey. Shrug.

I'll be curious to see anything in the future involving DG in regards to his take on the public. =)

~DSF

I met Green at a charity function here in NC put on by the Bostic Bros. for Hospice. He was knocking himself out to be a good guy ... but there were no autograph seekers present. He was just working an auction.

I don't care about ANYONE'S autograph, personally. However, for a youngster asking ... well, there's declining politely and then there's being a prick. No reason to be a prick unless you are one.

I was able to get a photo of myself and DG at training camp about 15 years ago. He wasn't the most pleasant of guys, most of the other players would go out of their way to sign an autograph.

Maybe that's just his way. Could be he's somewhat shy around people.

Who knows...just my 2 cents.

From talking to people there, he made it clear that he wasnt signing autographs when he was on stage and talking to the masses. So, if people asked him after he said that, he may have been preturbed.

But you are right... if he is at someone else's charity function, he should be at least somewhat pleasant and engaging to the masses.

A friend that I used to work with told me about the time, as a kid, he and his father met Darrell Green. They just happened to be staying at the same hotel as DG, and just happened to walk onto the same elevator with him. Excitedly, my friend said "Oooh, Darrell Green! Nice to meet you!" (At that time, DG was one of his heroes.) But Darrell became very irritated and told my friend to address him as "Mr. Green," and not as "Darrell." He was rather stern about this, lecturing him about the need for "respect." Of course, this was very disappointing to a young fan, an experience he never forgot. (He was able to meet other former 'Skins as well, and usually had a good experience.) This happened sometime during the early 90's.

When he told me about this, I couldn't believe it, but I have since then, besides this thread, heard other stories as well of DG being, at times, rather unpleasant to meet. Perhaps Darrell gets sick of people acting like they know him--also, probably because of his background, he is rather "old school" when it comes to respect, and how people talk to each other. (Youth to elder, for example...) I don't think he means to be a little abrasive, but he is probably just that way.

But he is still one of my favorite Redskins, and it does not tarnish his onfield history, nor his efforts off the field.

I remember when I was in Junior High School a few years ago and I used to always go to training camp. He was the guy who every year would turn down autograph seekers and I started to form these negative views about him. But I remember when I got to meet him through his charity and I just began to see him as a good guy.

We had this argument a few years ago, and DG is not the guy who you run up to asking to sign stuff. BUt He is a guy who does so much for the community that I dont even care about not getting his autograph.

As a member of the media last year, I got a chance to shoot training camp and do interviews with a lot of the players and coaches. Green was one of the nicest and hospitable players I got to talk to. Perhaps it was the camera and the mic, but the guy was tired and simply wanted to hit the lockers. He REALLY didn't have to take his precious time to do the interview.

Thousands of fans have approached him, perhaps the few that have spoken here were arseholes themselves and just like to ***** and moan.

Personally, I found him to be one of the most personable and well-mannered of the bunch. Aside from Champ and Bruce Smith.

The funny thing about all of this is we think he might be a jerk but if he gives to charity's so he is fine.

What would you think of a criminal who gave to charities?? I am sorry if the guy is a jerk then he is, it doesn't matter what he does for the neighborhood.

Think about it this way if he didn't give a lot to charities then would we even like him or talk about him?

I know if I was making money similar to what DG did, then I would also be a force in the community but I don't so I can't.

I have met him a couple of times and the majority of them haven't been the nicest. No I wasn't asking for autographs at the time I was doing my job.

I guess this is a rather unfortunate thread, but probably has a degree of truth to it. Unfortunatly we expect our heros to be perfect good people, when in fact they have sides we wish we didn't see. Fact is other players, even skins have been labeled pricks because of attitudes, autographs, etc.. (Theismann) and have been some what smeered because of it. I think DG's on and off the field accomplishments will keep him away from this perception.....but the fact that it may exist still hurts.

I met Darrell last February. Granted, it was an event for his Youth Life Foundation, but he was the nicest guy in the world. I actually felt like the prick for asking him questions that he probably got everyday.

I am not going to buy into the stories I'm hearing until I actually see it happen. Not that I don't believe what everyone is sying on this board. I want to be sure of the context of the encounter.

Maybe he didn't sign an autograph because he just signed a thousand of them a minute ago. Maybe he hates the fact that people hawk fake autographs of him on e-bay, and this is his way to keep track? There could be a million reasons.

And as far as the "Mr. Green in the elevator" confrontation, I am not buying that for a minute. There is no way that was Darrell.

Archived