Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SN.com New GM Allen faces mighty challenge in Redskins takeover

Oldskool

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-12-17/new-gm-allen-faces-mighty-challenge-redskins-takeover

Bruce Allen has plenty of work to do. He became the Washington Redskins' general manager Thursday, joining a franchise that has won one playoff game the past 10 years and is suffering through a 4-9 season.

Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, now an analyst for NFL Network, says the time had come to change the chemistry in the Redskins' front office, led by owner Dan Snyder and former vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, who resigned Thursday morning.

"With Dan and Vinny, people had a hard time separating where Dan's decisions ended and where Vinny's duties began," Theismann said Thursday. "They were viewed almost as one.

"I think with Bruce Allen, a guy who has a strong resume, it creates a distinct separation between the owner and the general manager. Bruce has been a general manager, he knows the salary cap; he has been an agent, he knows contracts. I think he has all the ingredients to do a great job."

But Allen has a tough job. Here are five major things on Allen's to-do list in his quest to make the Redskins a contender again:

1. Hire a proven head coach

The Redskins took a chance on Jim Zorn, someone who never had been a head coach or an offensive coordinator. It did not pan out. Zorn cannot be totally blamed for the 4-9 season, but the Redskins need an upgrade to win the NFC East.

Mike Shanahan is the likely target—if Jon Gruden doesn't want to leave Monday Night Football. Allen and Gruden worked together with both the Raiders and Buccaneers, but ESPN signed Gruden to a long-term deal just last month. Network officials would not say Thursday whether Gruden's contract has an escape clause.

"We do not comment on contract terms," ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer said in a statement. "We expect to have Jon on Monday Night Football for many years."

Shanahan is a proven offensive coach for an offensive-minded team. But Shanahan might have a choice between the Redskins and Cowboys, where owner Jerry Jones is likely to jettison Wade Phillips if Dallas does not make the playoffs.

Allen should consider current defensive coordinator Greg Blache. Washington is ranked seventh-overall defensively in the NFL and was ranked No. 4 in 2008. Blache knows the team's personnel, and he has the players' respect.

2. Decide if Jason Campbell is the franchise quarterback

If Campbell is not the guy, they must find someone better, which might not be easy. The 2010 draft is not a great one for quarterbacks, and trading for a veteran will come with a steep price tag.

"If you get rid of Jason Campbell, where are you going for a quarterback?" Theismann asked. "The guy has taken a pounding and a beating, and he comes back every week. Look at how he has played the last four weeks (91.1 passer rating, seven touchdowns, four interceptions). He threw for 367 yards passing against the Saints. He can win football games in this league."

Allen was noncommittal Thursday when asked about Campbell's future, but the quarterback is one of many players trying to make an impression during the season's last three weeks.

3. Upgrade the offensive line

This is probably the Redskins' weakest position, and their offense will not reach its potential until the line improves.

Even with quality skill players like running back Clinton Portis, wide receiver Santana Moss and tight end Chris Cooley, the Redskins' offense has struggled the last two years. Inconsistent line play is the major reason.

4. Improve team depth through the draft

The Redskins must improve their special teams and team speed on defense. Theismann was particularly critical of safety LaRon Landry for giving up big plays.

"I wish he was playing safety when I was playing," Theismann said. "He bites on so many plays he acts like a guy who hasn't eaten in two days."

Allen admitted not all of his drafts with the Raiders and Buccaneers were stellar. But the 2010 and '11 drafts will set the tone for whether he succeeds or fails in Washington.

"I am going to work hard," Allen said. "I have made some draft mistakes; I have made some free-agent mistakes. But as a team, our teams did pretty well."

5. Keep the decision-makers on the same page

Cerrato and Zorn were at odds, exemplified when Cerrato praised many coaches and co-workers in a statement Thursday but did not mention Zorn.

No matter the next head coach, he and Allen must have a better working relationship than Zorn and Cerrato.

Although the list is credible, I don't think this team is so far off it can't be salvaged.

1. Our defense is outstanding. It has held some quality teams to low points. Landry is a problem but he is young and I think he can be coached out of his bad habits of biting on the double move. DeAngelo is "getting comfortable" in DC and someone needs to put his attitude in check.

2. The O-Line is in shambles but to be completely honest, I'm surprised the guys that are currently in there are doing as well as they are. Since Portis is not playing, it is clear that the offensive running game was not broken due to the line... it was broken due to Portis not practicing with the line.

3. Campbell is staying with the Redskins. Period. There's no one in the draft or in the upcoming free agency that can touch him. The only way Campbell leaves is if he REALLY wants outta here.

4. I like Zorn. I think he's a class guy. But it's clear he's gone.

5. Randel El should be traded. I like him and his attitude and I'm sure he's a great asset for the locker room... but special teams is for rookies to get wet behind the ears. I don't see Randel El being needed too much longer with the new WR talent coming in so he should be let go.

6. Portis... one final year. That's all. He's an outstanding RB but it's clear the game has taken its toll on him. I hate to see him play for anyone else.

6. Portis... one final year. That's all. He's an outstanding RB but it's clear the game has taken its toll on him. I hate to see him play for anyone else.

Agree with all of your post, except this point. Portis needs to go, and God help me, I never thought I'd say that. Mike Lombardi made a good point yesterday that our offense struggled before Portis's injury because we were trying to get him his touches, not necessarily in the glow of the game. When Betts/Cartwright/Ganther came in, our offense was more organic and has worked much better b/c we're not trying to force the ball to anyone.

Portis needs to go, let's give Ganther a shot over the next three games, and consider drafting someone in the 3-5 round in April.

5. Randel El should be traded. I like him and his attitude and I'm sure he's a great asset for the locker room... but special teams is for rookies to get wet behind the ears. I don't see Randel El being needed too much longer with the new WR talent coming in so he should be let go.

And he isn't doing a very good job at it anyway.

Although he does make a nice catch every so often on offense.

3. Campbell is staying with the Redskins. Period. There's no one in the draft or in the upcoming free agency that can touch him. The only way Campbell leaves is if he REALLY wants outta here.

You say that awfully convincingly. Is that just your gut feeling or do you know something the rest of us don't? I wouldn't mind seeing JC back just wonder if you have any dirt I may not know yet.

Archived