Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Frustration

Yomar

I welcome the skepticism. At times this place is too much like a Hail-Bob Kool-aid cult.

But I think the O-line is the best in ten years. And thats where it starts.

As for Marty. He had the easiest schedule in the league the year he coached for us. And didn't succeed until the players poped his cherry. He also showed grotesque favoritism to "his" players. I'm glad he's gone. And as GM was an abomination (he was given a choice to stay on as coach).

I do not think it is realistic to hope for a "contender" for the Superbowl ever in the NFL. There is a great deal of luck involved in getting there. The only goal a team should look for is to win their division each year. I would be happy with a four or five year run of making it to the playoffs. If it were not for some very bad luck the Skins would have made it to the championship game in 1999. I can't believe we ditched Brad Johnson who later went on to the Superbowl. That screw up sits squarely with Dan Snyder. If he would have played 2000 like he played his hand this year, we'd have had two or three more playoff apperances in a row with a possible shot at the big one. It sucks having underachievers year after year. We have great players and nothing to show for it. Ken Harvey never once made it to the playoffs in his career. Pathetic.

We had the Running back with Davis, the Quarterback with Johnson, Westbrook was playing to potential, Bailey, Arrington and then everything went to pot. Spurrier probably isn't ready for prime time yet, but once he gets on a tear we should have three or four years at the top of the division. NFL defensive coordinators will figure Spurrier out and shut him down after he has his run, but it'll be fun for a while.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Is that for me Yomar?

Kind of, I was really just poking fun at myself though

Bang -

I disagree, I think that is a popular but out-dated line of thinking, and merely a self-fulfilling prophecy. Shrewd cap management, and an emphasis on college scouting can keep a team competitive for much longer, and this is at the heart of my frustration. I feel the cap management philosphy of the Redskins has been highly and while the team has spent a ton of money in signing bonus over the last few years, the scouting department seems painfully neglected, as evidenced by the team's recent hires of unproven scouts.

Originally posted by Kornheiser

I welcome the skepticism. At times this place is too much like a Hail-Bob Kool-aid cult.

Yeah, we've been drinking the kool-aid for the better part of a decade. Ain't the fact that Jim Jones mixed it up and handed it to us punishment enough?

I've had enough of cold hard reality. Time for a little bit of escapist fantasy. We're Super Bowl bound baby!!! It could happen. I'm pretty sure. Its not beyond statistical chance...

I heard it from Danny boy himself the other day at FedEx. I couldn't find a parking place, so......I bought the joint! I've got NFL Sunday Ticket and I'm saving you a spot on the barcolounger K. That is, if you don't mind making room for my #1 gal, yeah, my girlfriend.....Morgan Fairchild......;)

:40oz:

I believe Marty has won the same number of Super Bowls as SOS and watching the Skins under his style of play was like ingesting a bottle of sleeping pills. With SOS you get high risk - high reward and I'm willing to enjoy watching us with him under the helm instead of Marty if nothing but for the fact that when we won under Marty, it really didn't seem like a win and was nothing to get excited about.

Each year with a team more built to SOS's style we will be more competitive and exciting to watch. Just give him a chace. I think Ramsey needs one more year under him and next year we will be a true force. This year I think with Ramsey still almost a rookie and a tough schedule, we have to be realistic, but we should be in the playoffs.

Some one help Yomar.

Obviously some devious cowpoke fan replaced his Evian with Marty Kool Aid.

When you go to camp and see and feel the players exude confidnce and a belief in their coaches on both sides come back and tell us why we should be pessimistic.

I dont see how getting rid of a fat overpaid underachieving guy who was not a run stuffer is going to make our running defense worse.

Guess the skins dont have a plan for that :rolleyes:

I am optimistic about being competitive this year, although I am concerned about stopping the run, I can't stand years in the recent past when we just could not stop teams from running up the middle, I prefer a great defense and mediocre offense to a great offense and weak D. I am hoping Big Daddy signs with us when he realizes no one will come close to matching our offer, but I doubt his pride will allow it. Main thing that worries me about this year: THE SCHEDULE! I think it is the most difficult schedule that we have EVER faced, seriously. I guess mainly because of the parity in the NFL these days, but no "Gimme" games, if you ask me.

Originally posted by Yomar

I don't mean this to be a knock on Spurrier, its the indecisiveness and lack of long term vision that kills me, but there is always hope that things will improve, its what keeps me coming back every year.

Dude, last year I kept telling people to forget about getting a D lineman in the first round because we were looking for a #1 speed WR, even sugested that #1 and #2 picks could be used for that goal. They were (but not the way I thought) and I said to look for th O to be re-built around speed this year because it takes longer for an O to come together than the D and you don't bring in an offensive guru like Spurrier and not give him the tools to succeed. The fact that my predictions were right does not make me a genius. I was correct because I understood the nature of THE PLAN.

1) knowing it would take a major upgrade to build Spurriers O, we needed to make those moves now so Ramsey could develop surounded by talent this year in order to be great next year.

2) On D we are biting the bullet this year so we can stick to THE PLAN and get our offense up to speed. Next year when we have this offense running like a swiss watch and putting up loads of points we are going to be making some bold moves like Drafting a great DE in the 1st and going D for the rest of the draft because a DE can contribute right away. It's not too much of an over simplification to say that with a DE, all you have to do is point at the QB and say "go get him".

3) By having a PLAN and taking bold steps to achieve it, we will soon be in a strong position to make a serious run at the superbowl.

So look again. There IS a long term vision. and there sure as hell is no indecisiveness. Take a deep breath and relax. You are going to enjoy the ride bro.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Tarhog

Yeah, we've been drinking the kool-aid for the better part of a decade. Ain't the fact that Jim Jones mixed it up and handed it to us punishment enough?

I've had enough of cold hard reality. Time for a little bit of escapist fantasy. We're Super Bowl bound baby!!! It could happen. I'm pretty sure. Its not beyond statistical chance...

I heard it from Danny boy himself the other day at FedEx. I couldn't find a parking place, so......I bought the joint! I've got NFL Sunday Ticket and I'm saving you a spot on the barcolounger K. That is, if you don't mind making room for my #1 gal, yeah, my girlfriend.....Morgan Fairchild......;)

:40oz:

:rotflmao: I feel your pain brother. But three seasons within a game of 8-8 & struggling with only the absurdest shot at the play-offs, I'm feeling like a Loui Voutton version of the cowboys.

I'm sniffing at the kool-aid though. MMmm...a promising long term solution at QB for the first time in 5 years; developing behind the best oline in ten years (& even young); one ace showing at WR. Uh-oh, 4 unknowns at WR & RB, going to have to see how that plays out first. I'll hold out for the grape kool-aid.

Don't slam Marty because our team has been in disaray for so long. I don't know if you remember but it took two of the biggest miracles in football history to keep Marty out of the Super Bowl(THE DRIVE AND THE FUMBLE) SCHOTTENHIMER is a great Coach and i wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers win their division this year.. As you can see I am one of the minority that was glad to see Marty hired here and sorry to see him go.

I would love you to back up Marty winning his division with a wager. Anything, it could be a silly bet, how about - if Marty wins his Division I'll signature my post for a weak with "Highway66 told me (& my wife, when he was putting me to shame) Marty would win" and if Marty doesn't you'll do likewise "Kornheiser told me (& my wife, when he was putting me to shame) Marty was a loser"

Archived