Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat....What we have done to other teams

TMK9973

Ok all -this is meant to be a pick me up thread. We are ALL feeling way down about not only losing against the saints (and the Cowpukes and Eagles) but about HOW we lost. A game that was clearly ours, we let slip away.

So - in order to make me and my son feel better -I started recounting games that we were done in, but came back and won.

In order

5) 1991 Vs Houston Oilers. skins were 8-0 and the Oilers were 7-1. This was the game of the week, and for 58 mins the skins gave all they had and had a 7 point lead. But Houston scored a tying TD with under 2 mins to go, and then the worst happened. Brian Mitchell fumbled the kickoff inside our own 20 yard line. Houston takes the clock down to 4 seconds and then brings in their kicker to hit a 33 yard FG on a clear and sunny day.

He missed

Redskins won in OT

4) 1992 - Redskins beat Dallas 20-13. In a Game the Skins had to win to stay in the Playoff race, the 11-2 Cowboys came to town and spent the entire day beating the Redskins. Up 17-13 with less then 3:30 left in the game, the Cowboys on their own 4 yard line and facing a 2nd and 7, Aikman dropped back to pass. As he ****ed his Arm, a Redskins player knocked it out of his hands. Emmitt Smith recovered it, but to avoid a 2 point safety, he decided to try to knock it out of the end zone. Danny Copeland recovers it for a TD. Added to the confusion, Danny Copeland took the ball and ran down the field celebrating while the Refs were looking at a pile trying to find the ball. Copeland had to run back to the end zone and alert a ref that he had the ball.

3) 1990 - Redskins beat Detroit 41-38. The 4-3 Redskins were taking on the 3-4 Lions. The lions broke out to a 28-14 halftime lead and a 38-21 4th qtr lead. With Mark Rypien nursing a injury, and Stan Humphries struggling, a aging Jeff Rutledge came in off the bench. Helped by strange calls from the Detroit coaching staff (Not 1 running play to Berry Sanders in the entire 4th qtr), a improbably comeback happened as the Redskins scored 17 straight points and won the game in OT.

2) The Redskins were struggling in the early part of 1995. In what became a staple of the Norv Turner Era, The Skins were losing game in the final second all year. In fact - by the time the 2-5 Redskins were on the field to face the 2-5 Lions, the Redskins had lost 4 out of their last 5 games on the final play or in the final min. Each one of those games the Redskins were winning with less then 2 mins to go in the game. So it was no surprise that in the 4th qtr the Redskins once again gave up a lead. But this time around, the Skins tied the game to force a OT. In OT, the Lions won the toss and Redskins fans were preparing themselves for another last second loss. Scott Mitchell, who had a 30 for 50 passing day for over 350 yards, was on fire and ready to drive his team down the field. But Darrell Green jumped a out route and returned it 7 yards for a victory on the final play after being outplayed all game.

1) 2005 - Redskins beat Cowboys 14-13. With less then 4 mins left, the cowboys had a 13-0 lead on a emotional night where their trio was welcomed to their ring of fame. The lead seemed huge, since through the first 116 mins of the season, the Redskins had failed to score a TD. When the skins faced a 3rd and 21 deep in their own terrority it seemed all over. But Brunell ran for 20 yards and easily converted a 4th and 1. Faced with a 4th and 15, Brunell connects with Moss from the 39 yard line then does it again a few plays later to pull of a stunning 14-13 victory.

Hopes that makes some feel better.....

Ah no. Don't feel better at all.

Games of the past. Wins of the past. Seasons ago. Nothing to do with this season which has been one of total misery.

Don't mean no harm but no I'm not felling what you're giving. but thanks for the effort. I guess.

Ok all -this is meant to be a pick me up thread. We are ALL feeling way down about not only losing against the saints (and the Cowpukes and Eagles) but about HOW we lost. A game that was clearly ours, we let slip away.

So - in order to make me and my son feel better -I started recounting games that we were done in, but came back and won.

In order

5) 1991 Vs Houston Oilers. skins were 8-0 and the Oilers were 7-1. This was the game of the week, and for 58 mins the skins gave all they had and had a 7 point lead. But Houston scored a tying TD with under 2 mins to go, and then the worst happened. Brian Mitchell fumbled the kickoff inside our own 20 yard line. Houston takes the clock down to 4 seconds and then brings in their kicker to hit a 33 yard FG on a clear and sunny day.

He missed

Redskins won in OT

4) 1992 - Redskins beat Dallas 20-13. In a Game the Skins had to win to stay in the Playoff race, the 11-2 Cowboys came to town and spent the entire day beating the Redskins. Up 17-13 with less then 3:30 left in the game, the Cowboys on their own 4 yard line and facing a 2nd and 7, Aikman dropped back to pass. As he ****ed his Arm, a Redskins player knocked it out of his hands. Emmitt Smith recovered it, but to avoid a 2 point safety, he decided to try to knock it out of the end zone. Danny Copeland recovers it for a TD. Added to the confusion, Danny Copeland took the ball and ran down the field celebrating while the Refs were looking at a pile trying to find the ball. Copeland had to run back to the end zone and alert a ref that he had the ball.

3) 1990 - Redskins beat Detroit 41-38. The 4-3 Redskins were taking on the 3-4 Lions. The lions broke out to a 28-14 halftime lead and a 38-21 4th qtr lead. With Mark Rypien nursing a injury, and Stan Humphries struggling, a aging Jeff Rutledge came in off the bench. Helped by strange calls from the Detroit coaching staff (Not 1 running play to Berry Sanders in the entire 4th qtr), a improbably comeback happened as the Redskins scored 17 straight points and won the game in OT.

2) The Redskins were struggling in the early part of 1995. In what became a staple of the Norv Turner Era, The Skins were losing game in the final second all year. In fact - by the time the 2-5 Redskins were on the field to face the 2-5 Lions, the Redskins had lost 4 out of their last 5 games on the final play or in the final min. Each one of those games the Redskins were winning with less then 2 mins to go in the game. So it was no surprise that in the 4th qtr the Redskins once again gave up a lead. But this time around, the Skins tied the game to force a OT. In OT, the Lions won the toss and Redskins fans were preparing themselves for another last second loss. Scott Mitchell, who had a 30 for 50 passing day for over 350 yards, was on fire and ready to drive his team down the field. But Darrell Green jumped a out route and returned it 7 yards for a victory on the final play after being outplayed all game.

1) 2005 - Redskins beat Cowboys 14-13. With less then 4 mins left, the cowboys had a 13-0 lead on a emotional night where their trio was welcomed to their ring of fame. The lead seemed huge, since through the first 116 mins of the season, the Redskins had failed to score a TD. When the skins faced a 3rd and 21 deep in their own terrority it seemed all over. But Brunell ran for 20 yards and easily converted a 4th and 1. Faced with a 4th and 15, Brunell connects with Moss from the 39 yard line then does it again a few plays later to pull of a stunning 14-13 victory.

Hopes that makes some feel better.....

Thanks for the post TMK, I have a bunch more to add to your list:

October 2, 1983 vs Raiders @ RFK - Joe Thiesmann throws for 417 yards & 3 TD's, and the Skins rally from a 35-20 deficit with around 6 minutes left, and score 17 unanswered points capped off by a Joe Theismann to Joe Washington TD pass to win 37-35.

December 9, 1984 @ Dallas - Skins are down 21-6 at halftime after being completely outplayed in the 1st half, but come back in the 2nd half via a DG INT return for a TD, a Joe Thiesmann to Calvin Muhammad TD throw, and the comeback was capped off by a 1 yard run by Riggo late in the game, giving the Skins a 30-28 win.

November 18, 1985 vs Giants @ RFK - This game was best known for LT ending Joe Thiesmann's career. Jay Schroeder comes in and leads the Skins back from a 21-14 4th quarter deficit to win 23-21 on a TD pass to Clint Didier.

December 15, 1985 vs Bengals @ RFK - Skins come back from a 24-7 1st half deficit to score 20 unanswered points and win 27-24.

September 21, 1986 @ San Diego - Skins erase a 21-3 1st half deficit behind Jay Schroeder's 348 yards passing and Art Monk & Gary Clark combined for 13 catches & 318 yards, and the comeback is capped off by a Schroeder to G. Clark TD pass in the 4th quarter, giving the Skins a 30-27 win.

November 2, 1986 vs Vikings @ RFK - 1,000 yards of offense, Max Zendejas misses 3 XP's, the Skins erase a 38-26 4th quarter deficit, force the game into overtime, and win it 44-38 on a Schroeder to G. Clark 44 yard TD pass.

December 21, 1986 @ Philly - Skins are down 14-0 entering the 4th quarter having shown no signs of life the whole game. They score 21 points in the 4th to win 21-14.

October 25, 1987 vs Jets @ RFK - First game back after the NFL strike sees the Skins look lethargic all day, and they're down 16-7 with just under 7 minutes left. The Skins win 17-16 with an Ali-Haji Shiekh FG late in the game.

November 29, 1987 vs Giants @ RFK - Skins are down 19-3 in the 3rd quarter having looked lifeless the whole game, then Jay Schroeder throws 3 TD passes and the Skins win 23-19.

December 26, 1987 @ Vikings - Doug Williams replaces an ineffective Jay Schroeder. Skins are down 24-14 in the 4th quarter, Doug Williams leads comeback with a TD pass to Ricky Sanders to force game into OT, where Haji-Sheikh kicks a FG to win it 27-24.

January 10, 1988, Div. Playoff @ Chicago - Skins get down 14-0 early only to rally for a 21-17 win. DG returns punt 52 yards for a TD in the 3rd quarter to put the Skins up for good.

September 11, 1988 vs Steelers @ RFK - Doug Williams throws for 430 yards, Skins come back from 29-20 4th quarter deficit with 10 points in the final minutes to win 30-29.

December 4, 1988 @ Philly - Skins are down 19-7 in the 3rd quarter and rally for a 20-19 win with a 44 yard Chip Lohmiller FG at the end.

December 17, 1989 @ Atlanta - Skins are down 27-10 at halftime, but rally behind Mark Rypien who took over for an injured Doug Williams and leads the Skins back to a 31-30 win.

October 27, 1991 @ Giants - Skins come in to the game 7-0 but are down 13-0 at halftime, then rally for a 17-13 win to go to 8-0.

October 23, 1994 @ Indy - Gus Frerotte's first game as Skins QB, he rallies the team from a 17-3 1st half deficit with 226 yards passing & 3 TD's. Skins win 41-27.

October 3, 1999 vs Panthers @ FedEx - Redskins rally from a 21-0 1st quarter deficit behind Brad Johnson's 337 yards & 4 TD's. Michael Westbrook & Albert Connell combine for 13 catches, 274 yards & 4 TD's, and Brett Conway kicks the game-winning FG as time expires, Skins win 38-36.

December 26, 1999 @ San Francisco - With a chance to win the division, Skins are down 20-10 entering the 4th quarter and rally to force OT. Brad Johnson hits Larry Centers for a 33 yard TD giving the Skins a 26-20 win and their first division title since 1991.

October 21, 2001 vs Panthers @ FedEx - Down 14-0 in the 4th quarter and staring an 0-6 record in the face, Lavar Arrington picks off Chris Weinke and returns in 67 yards for a TD, Skins force OT and win with a Conway FG 17-14.

November 18, 2001 @ Denver - down 10-0 in the 3rd quarter, Kent Graham replaces an injured Tony Banks and rallies the Skins to a 17-10 win with 2 TD's passes, the winning one to Zeron Flemister with 2:48 left.

September 14, 2003 @ Atlanta - Patrick Ramsey rallies the Skins from a 17-0 1st half deficit with 356 yards & 2 TD's for a 33-31 win.

January 1, 2006 @ Philly - Down 17-7 in the 1st half, with a playoff spot on the line, the Skins rally with Sean Taylor's 39-yard fumble return sealing the 31-20 win and a trip to the playoffs.

November 5, 2006 vs Dallas @ FedEx - Down 19-12 entering the 4th quarter, Skins score 10 points and win the game on Nick Novak's 47-yard FG at the gun, 22-19.

November 4, 2007 @ Jets - Skins rally from a 17-3 1st half deficit behind 5 FG's by Shaun Suisham, including the game-winner in OT as the Skins win 23-20.

September 14, 2008 vs Saints @ FedEx - Down 24-15 with under 6 minutes left, Skins rally for 2 TD's and a 29-24 win with Jason Campbell hitting Santana Moss with a 67-yard TD pass with 3:29 left for the game-winner.

October 5, 2008 @ Philly - Skins rally from a 14-0 1st quarter deficit to win 23-17.

Damn Jeff, that's a tour du force of Skins comebacks.

I think mainly what the OP was getting at was games where pretty late in the game it looked like the Skins were down and out and had little chance of winning. There was something about that 1999 game against the Panthers that I remember. I know we had rallied from the 21-0 deficit, but was pretty much in the second quarter. Late in that game, however, I think Brian Mitchell fumbled a punt return and it looked like we were history. I can't remember what exactly happened after that, though, before Conway hit the GWFG.

Hard to believe that Jay Schroeder crafted seven come from behind victories, six of which were in the 4th qtr. The Redskins teams of Gibbs 1.0 weren't known for many great comebacks given their style of running the ball and burning clock.

The Vikings game on 11/2/86 is especially memorable for me b/c Gary Clark was uncovered when he caught the TD bomb to win OT. A lot of people had already left the game thinking we were done for, so we moved down to better seats for OT.

At the Giants game 11/29/87, it poured rain and I believe we hadn't beaten the Parcells' Giants since the night Theismann broke his leg in '85. We lost to them 3 times in '86 alone, so this one was extra sweet to take in live. I also think I remember this being one of few Joe Gibbs' half time tirades in the locker room. Though that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

It so looked like Schroeder was gonna be our guy for the next decade.:laugh:

Jay Schroeder was the man. We might have been a power running O, but Jay had a arm! I actually credit him with the 1987 season. Doug Williams was 0-4 as a starter in the regular season that year. He got hot in the playoffs. If Jay Schroeder was not on the team, I'm not sure Skins make the playoffs.

And Jeff -LOVED those comebacks. You are right, some belong. But I was going for games where we were getting our butts kicked all game, only to find a way to win. Some belong there (The 83 Raiders game is a GREAT example), others don't (The '86 Vikings game doesn't, because we were wining most of that game. If it wasn't for the missed kicks, we win easily...)

Sadly, these days the Redskins are much more adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

On the bright side, it has been three games since another team has beaten us. And, Suisham and the secondary have singlehandedly won three games in the last three weeks. Unfortunately the team they beat was the Redskins.

BTW- The '01 Panthers game is a GREAT example as well. That game was DONE. The skins looked sooooo bad (Not just that game, but all year). The season was lost, and then in a couple mins skins tie the game and win in OT, then won their next 4 games!

The Vikings game on 11/2/86 is especially memorable for me b/c Gary Clark was uncovered when he caught the TD bomb to win OT.

Are you sure? I was there too, and as I recall, Clark caught a 5 yard hitch, made the defender miss the tackle, and took it down the sideline. I don't think he was uncovered, and I don't think it was a bomb.

Are you sure? I was there too, and as I recall, Clark caught a 5 yard hitch, made the defender miss the tackle, and took it down the sideline. I don't think he was uncovered, and I don't think it was a bomb.

I'll have to check my Tandler book when I get home.

You might be right. Maybe it's the free run to the endzone that I remember if Clark only had to make one man miss. Though I swear he was in the middle of the field. I shouldn't have said 'bomb' if they were inside the 50.

Jay Schroeder was the man. We might have been a power running O, but Jay had a arm! I actually credit him with the 1987 season. Doug Williams was 0-4 as a starter in the regular season that year. He got hot in the playoffs. If Jay Schroeder was not on the team, I'm not sure Skins make the playoffs.

And Jeff -LOVED those comebacks. You are right, some belong. But I was going for games where we were getting our butts kicked all game, only to find a way to win. Some belong there (The 83 Raiders game is a GREAT example), others don't (The '86 Vikings game doesn't, because we were wining most of that game. If it wasn't for the missed kicks, we win easily...)

Yeah I thought I'd chart all of the great comebacks, whether it was a large deficit at any point or they yanked it out late in the 4th quarter.

87 was quite the interesting season - strike season, their entire team goes out on strike, they go 3-0, and it was a tale of two seasons for both Jay and Doug. Jay played well the first half of the year and Doug wasn't, and then as Doug got hot down the stretch Jay started melting down. The Skins were actually down in that 86 Vikings most of the way and were down by 12 late in the 4th quarter so I think that's a memorable comeback imo.

According to Tandler, the Vikings took the lead at the end of the 1st until the Redskins reclaimed it in the 3rd. The Skins then had to tie it up late in the 4th, evaporating a 12 point Viking lead with 1:03 to play. The Skins needed only the PAT to take the lead and most likely the game.

'Four plays into OT from the Minn 48, Schroeder threw a 15 yd pattern to Clark who broke away from the Minn corner down the left sideline for 38 yards and six points' game over.

You were pretty much spot on Techboy.

This is where I got my two games confused.

11/29/87 vs. NYG.

Giants were up 16-0 at the break.

Redskins finally reclaim the lead late in the 4th when Schroeder finds an uncovered Ricky Sanders from the Giants 38. Redskins 23-19.

The Giants then drove the field to the Redskins 18 with .02 remaining. Simms hits RB Tony Galbreath who gets tackled at the 2. Game over.

Only 45,000 lucky souls showed up to RFK on that sloppy, muddy, rainy day. What an ending it was.

Archived