Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conservative Playcalling in 4th Q

ukvillaskin

Zorn continues to coach as Joe Gibbs did, play it close to the vest and don't take any chances.

That leads to 17-10 or 20-17 losses but few victories.

The Redskins are a LESS talented team than the Eagles or Cowboys at this stage and need to be MORE aggressive to win.

Zorn and Blache know they are gone at the end of the season and simply refuse to change their methods.

One of the reasons they need to go.

Going conservative was the right call at that point in the game, in my opinion. All calls that don't work out are second-guessed.

Running the ball on 2nd & Goal from the nine deserves criticism. That works (and by "works" I mean "gets at least halfway to the goal line") maybe, maybe 20% of the time.

What was with the conservative playcalling in the 4th Qtr on 1st and goal?

About 8 mins left, up by 5 and we run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, then Campbell throws it away on 3rd down when he couldve let the play develop.

We should have stuck it to the Eagles and gone for the touchdown to kill the game off, instead we settle for a FG.

Any thoughts?.......

Presenting your 2009 Redskins one thing you don't have to look forward to this season is us running the score up on anybody.

Going conservative was the right call at that point in the game, in my opinion. All calls that don't work out are second-guessed.

As a diehard fan that has watched every minute of every game for the last number of years, I can tell you this has LOST us wayyy more games than it has won us, thats a fact.

Just think back to the past 5 years...how many games have we lost in the 4th quarter versus games we have won with a big defensive stop?

If we were playing the Rams or the Lions or the Browns sure, maybe I would agree. But we are playing one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL...to think they cant score 8 points in 10 minutes at home is a major lapse in judgement.

And Joe Gibbs continues to influence this team . . .

During his four years here he PREACHED conservatism and not going for the victory. He talked up the opposition making it seem as if they were superbowl champs every year.

That playing scared mindset has hurt this team as it has rubbed off on the remaining players and the head bosses Danny and Vinny

As a diehard fan that has watched every minute of every game for the last number of years, I can tell you this has LOST us wayyy more games than it has won us, thats a fact.

Here's another fact: There are times to be conservative and times to take risks.

If we were playing the Rams or the Lions or the Browns sure, maybe I would agree. But we are playing one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL...to think they cant score 8 points in 10 minutes at home is a major lapse in judgement.

Imagine that you are playing a 12-minute game against the Eagles. You already have a five-point advantage. You can run risks and possibly stretch that to a 12-point lead, or play it safe and stretch the lead to eight points. Which do you take?

Here are some other facts to consider. The Eagles are a big play offense, but they struggle mightily in goal-to-go situations, so, while their chances of scoring on a big play are good, two-point conversions are not easy for them.

I feel good with the eight-point lead. I play it conservatively in this position.

Zorn continues to coach as Joe Gibbs did, play it close to the vest and don't take any chances..

You aren't paying attention. Jim Zorn has been as aggressive as Belichick this season in going for it on fourth downs -- and Belichick has been the most aggressive NFL coach for several seasons.

Here's another fact: There are times to be conservative and times to take risks.

Id go for the TD, without a doubt.

Id say the chances of turning it over are pretty slim, so just GO FOR IT and seal the win.

Imagine that you are playing a 12-minute game against the Eagles. You already have a five-point advantage. You can run risks and possibly stretch that to a 12-point lead, or play it safe and stretch the lead to eight points. Which do you take?

Here are some other facts to consider. The Eagles are a big play offense, but they struggle mightily in goal-to-go situations, so, while their chances of scoring on a big play are good, two-point conversions are not easy for them.

I feel good with the eight-point lead. I play it conservatively in this position.

Let Sherm call all the plays and stop interjecting with his conservative BS calls! Zorn just can't stand to see the offense score without his input. The last 2 games he decides to call some plays, why, we beat Denver without your backward ass way of coaching! 5 games left and I hope he's gone.

This is the coaches fault, not the players. These coaches won't go for the kill when they have their prey by the throat. When you play not to lose, you will lose as we all see. When you play to win like we did the first 7-8 games last season, then good things happen. I am all for hiring new coaches who will attack on offense and defense. As bad as our coaching is, and being down to 3rd string players, we are still out playing the best in our division. Imagine how good we can be with better coaches and better talent on this O-line and other positions as we will have this offseason.

Just like when the Skins got conservative, settled for a 45+ yard FG (and missed) vs the 'boys, I knew the game was over when they settled for a FG at that moment. Think about it, they had just picked off the iggles and had the ball in the red zone. They decided to play 'safe' and take the 8 pt lead.

I think almost everyone in Skins-Nation knew what was going to happen next. The Iggles get a couple of big plays, score, then get the 2 pts.

Just disgusting!!

Archived