Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, How Many Wins IF....................

bulldog

I am a contrarian by nature, Om. :)

When I see a truckload of people saying the Skins d-line is awful and will drag the team down from a chance to achieve, I almost immediately ask myself, 'but what if this doesn't happen?' :D

the 1998 Vikings won 15 games and made it to the NFC Title Game.

the 2000 Rams won 10 games and made the playoffs as a wildcard.

after getting 8, 8 and 7 wins the past 3 seasons, are you telling me that 10 or 15 wins would be a disappointment to you? :)

The Skins defense will be vulnerable because of the weakness up front, but it's not the end of the world. They still have incredible LBs and DBs. I guarantee the defense is better this year than it was last year (no, I don't mean in yards allowed -- I mean in points allowed).

The offense is gonna put points on the board, and use that massive OL to control some clock. That alone will make the defense better. Looking at the murderous schedule, I'm sticking with 9-7 and a shot to sneak into the playoffs.

I'll be honest ... the schedule looks wicked to me. I know how projected schedule strength doesn't always play out the way it projects over the course of a season, but when you look at what we're facing right out of the gate, it's not hard to see us struggle in the W & L column while we get our feet under us with a young QB and a D that is going to have to prove it can not only stop the run, but also produce pass rush -- both questions I think even the most optimistic among us are watching closely.

IF Patrick Ramsey hits the ground running (awkward cliche, but hey) I can see us playing .500 ball through the first half of the season, then making our playoff run or not based on health and momentum and the relative health and momentum of the opposition down the stretch.

If he doesn't though ...

It's hard for me to get a handle on what I expect in terms of wins and losses this year. Truth is, I have never considered us a legit title threat in 2003 ... more a team with a realisic shot at a wildcard slot that is building toward a possible title run in 2004 and 2005.

If you put my toes to the Bic today, though ... I guess I'd predict 9-7 for 2003.

the first key for the Redskins is to defend home field which they have not done in recent seasons. you may get clipped on the road by a very good or very 'hot' club, but to lose 37-7 and 43-27 at home as we did last year just deflated everyone.

the second key is to win division games. I doubt there is a team that has lost more close division games the past 3 or 4 years than the Redskins. every year we drop games to Dallas and the Giants that we have more than our share of chances to win.

Archived