Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN:Cowboys upset about officiating[Wade Phillips = hypocrite]

Big Blue Joe

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4687260

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips is tired of hearing the league apologize for officiating mistakes.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Dallas was on the wrong end of incidents involving replay in its last two games. In a loss to Green Bay, the Packers were not penalized for throwing a challenge flag when they were out of challenges, and in a win over the Washington Redskins on Sunday the crew made a series of errors on the same play. It ended up not hurting the Cowboys because the Redskins missed a field-goal attempt, but it still left Phillips steamed on Tuesday.

"Well, I mean, it shouldn't [happen]," he said. "That's what they're paid to do. They're paid to go by the rules and make sure they know whether a team can challenge or whether a team can review something or not. That's what the officials are paid to do."

Phillips said he spoke with NFL officiating director Mike Pereira about it and that Pereira is also upset because these errors go beyond judgment calls about things like holding or pass interference.

"There shouldn't be any rules that they missed," he said. "I think that's what Mike was upset about."

The Cowboys actually caught a break from the officials against the Redskins. Replays show that on their winning play, two offensive linemen were down the field. An official nearby missed it because he was watching to see if quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee passed the line. He didn't, so no flag was thrown.

Asked if that came up with the league office, Phillips said: "No, because they weren't [illegally downfield]. It wasn't called."

:doh:

Are you saying that any other NFL head coach wouldn't say that ?
Other NFL head coaches wouldn't whine about losing 7 yards in one game or having a play that didn't result in any points go against them due to blown calls while, at the same time, they were the beneficiary of a missed call on a game-winning touchdown pass.

tubby man boobs just needs to shut up...seriously, saying they werent illegally down field when the replay shows they were. just go have a heart attack on the sidelines already. its probably what jerrah is hoping for so he doesnt have to fill out the paperwork to fire him for garrett.

The Cowboys actually caught a break from the officials against the Redskins. Replays show that on their winning play, two offensive linemen were down the field. An official nearby missed it because he was watching to see if quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee passed the line. He didn't, so no flag was thrown.

Asked if that came up with the league office, Phillips said: "No, because they weren't [illegally downfield]. It wasn't called."

not only that but Ware was offsides on the tip int. The rule states any ineligible receiver pas the neutral zone of the LOS is illegal. since the LOS was behind the 10 yard line, and the neutral zone is the length of the ball.... yeah Wade, Flo-Slo at the 8, and the other OL doing at chop block at the 6 were still in the neutral zone :thumbsup:

and for the record, The refs were wrong for the delay, but they got the call right. JC was not out of bounds when he released the ball, and by rule you spot the ball from the replay. the penalty doesn't count since the ball wasn't snapped before the replay.

in all, Wade once again comes off as the clueless ass he is

and for the record, The refs were wrong for the delay, but they got the call right. JC was not out of bounds when he released the ball, and by rule you spot the ball from the replay. the penalty doesn't count since the ball wasn't snapped before the replay.

I take it you missed the fact that the play in question is not reviewable in the first place and the league sent out a notification to all refs about that very thing about a month ago. So, no, they did not get it right.

What Wade is upset about it the fact that for two games in a row, the refs have not even known the rule, much less applied them correctly. It doesn't matter whether it hurt or did not hurt the team, you expect the refs to know the rules and be able to apply them correctly. He is not "whinning" about penalties being called or not called. He is expressing his displeasure that the refs don't seem to know the rules and it has gone against Dallas 2 weeks in a row. I would say refs not knowing the rules is a legitimate complaint. If he was gripping about a holding call or PI call, I would agree he needs to shut up and coach.

That officiating for the entire game had all of the professionalism of a Redskin offensive drive. That entire crew should be suspended for at least one game. Although agreeing with Cowpies tends to make me ill, I do. I wish the Skins could have come up with their two cents worth.

not only that but Ware was offsides on the tip int. The rule states any ineligible receiver pas the neutral zone of the LOS is illegal. since the LOS was behind the 10 yard line, and the neutral zone is the length of the ball.... yeah Wade, Flo-Slo at the 8, and the other OL doing at chop block at the 6 were still in the neutral zone :thumbsup:

in all, Wade once again comes off as the clueless ass he is

you'll be over it soon.....no cryin in football.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

I take it you missed the fact that the play in question is not reviewable in the first place and the league sent out a notification to all refs about that very thing about a month ago. So, no, they did not get it right.

What Wade is upset about it the fact that for two games in a row, the refs have not even known the rule, much less applied them correctly. It doesn't matter whether it hurt or did not hurt the team, you expect the refs to know the rules and be able to apply them correctly. He is not "whinning" about penalties being called or not called. He is expressing his displeasure that the refs don't seem to know the rules and it has gone against Dallas 2 weeks in a row. I would say refs not knowing the rules is a legitimate complaint. If he was gripping about a holding call or PI call, I would agree he needs to shut up and coach.

Please explain how that episode went against the cowboys.

Please explain how that episode went against the cowboys.

Once he missed the field goal, it did not hurt the Cowboys. Everyone can agree on that but that is not the main issue. The point is, and I feel I made this quite clear, for two weeks in a row Dallas has been on the losing end of refs simply not knowing or forgetting the rules. That is a much different animal that being upset at a particular call like pass interference or illegal man downfield. You expect the refs to know the rules and apply them correctly. You also expect, or should expect, to get bad calls, missed calls, or calls you simply disagree with during the course of a game. You do not expect something to happen and the refs simply don't know the rule that applies.

Just to be clear here is a link to a story that claims the league called Jerry Jones to inform him the play never should have been reviewed in the first place.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/11/nfl-to-jerry-jones-play-was-not-reviewab.html

Right....I dont think the question here is missed or blown calls/penalties.....but more about the rules........There are going to be missed calls every game, cant do anything about that....but when the refs dont know the proper rules set forth by the NFL then I think you do have a major problem....

coolbeans View Post

wrong

it is reviewable, AND was reviewed....Wade was upset that the review came after the delay of game, but it still was correct because the ball wasn't snapped or a play runned.

Wade isn't use to having calls not go the pokes way, and he threw a little hissy fit.

But the refs made it up to him in the final 3 minutes.

Seriously the fact the pokes were aided by the refs in the end, you'd think he would just keep quiet instead of bringing attention to it, and pissing off NFL officals who are always bailing the pokes out with timely penalties against their opponents.... or in Sundays case, ignoring obvious blatant infractions that would hurt the pokes if called.

Hell if they flagged FLO-SLO every time he jumped early, or held... the pokes would never be able to have a scoring drive, for going backwards :hysterical:

wrong

it is reviewable, AND was reviewed....Wade was upset that the review came after the delay of game, but it still was correct because the ball wasn't snapped or a play runned.

Wade isn't use to having calls not go the pokes way, and he threw a little hissy fit.

Seriously the fact the pokes were aided by the refs in the end, you'd think he would just keep quiet instead of bringing attention to it, and pissing off NFL officals who are always bailing the pokes out with timely penalties against their opponents.... or in Sundays case, ignoring obvious blatant infractions that would hurt the pokes if called.

Hell if they flagged FLO-SLO every time he jumped early, or held... the pokes would never be able to have a scoring drive, for going backwards :hysterical:

Wrong! The play was not reviewable and the league has stated so. The refs were wrong to review it in the first place.

Heres the link again, I guess you missed that too:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-reviewab.html

It'd be nice if we had some puke fans here who were objective.

I guess to see one of them say the downfield lineman was a BLOWN call is just asking too much.

Sure it was a blown call but those things happen every game, probably every possesion for each team. The ref said he was watching Romo sits to pee to make sure he didn't cross the line and missed the linemen downfield. It happens. Bad calls or no calls should be expected every game. The refs not knowing or forgetting the rules is something noone should expect. That was my point.

I guess to see one of them say the downfield lineman was a BLOWN call is just asking too much.

I'll be objective. The refs have pretty much sucked it up for EVERYONE in the last few years. They routinely miss blatant calls (see winning touchdown) and often don't know the rules (see review process).

An 8-minute delay is horrible. I heard some Skins fans complaining that Zorn didn't at least try to go for another play... Well, if I were him, I wouldn't have either. His players were sitting idle for 8 freaking minutes because of the refs inability to do their freaking job. They might as well have used that break as halftime...

Piss-poor officiating at the highest level of football.

not only that but Ware was offsides on the tip int.

Still waiting for the pic or vid file proving that.

Again, I've watched numerous times and he timed the snap perfectly.

Like he's done plenty of times in his career.

You can be pissed about the missed men down field, but there was no offsides on the game ending play.

wrong

Bitter much?

Are you saying that any other NFL head coach wouldn't say that ?

A respectable, honorable HC doesn't go around blaming the Refs for missing calls (in which case the ones he was referring to were right anyways), only to ignore the clearly favorable calls he got in the closing parts of the game.

**** Wade Phillips. Ignore the fact that he's fat. Ignore the fact that he's a Poke, and as a result, a piece of ****. Ignore the fact that he makes you feel better about yourself because you're reminded that at least you're not him when you see him.

Any HC who actually did what Bum's Boy did is perfect for the Pokes. Blame the refs for only handing you one touchdown and one game saving INT. How dare they not assist you in blowing your opponent out, Wade.

Bitter much?

Come on, even you have to admit that it is downright hilarious that a coach who got favorable calls to win a game complains about the officials.

Don't get me wrong- the Refs didn't lose this for us. Not in any way. But they did gift you 6 points and let a freak INT stand when there should have been an offsides call.

];7050307']A respectable' date=' honorable HC doesn't go around blaming the Refs for missing calls (in which case the ones he was referring to were right anyways), only to ignore the clearly favorable calls he got in the closing parts of the game.

**** Wade Phillips. Ignore the fact that he's fat. Ignore the fact that he's a Poke, and as a result, a piece of ****. Ignore the fact that he makes you feel better about yourself because you're reminded that at least you're not him when you see him.

Any HC who actually did what Bum's Boy did is perfect for the Pokes. Blame the refs for only handing you one touchdown and one game saving INT. How dare they not assist you in blowing your opponent out, Wade.

Come on, even you have to admit that it is downright hilarious that a coach who got favorable calls to win a game complains about the officials.

Don't get me wrong- the Refs didn't lose this for us. Not in any way. But they did gift you 6 points and let a freak INT stand when there should have been an offsides call.[/quote']

Wade's a disaster. No question. I cringe whenever he says anything.

But to blame that loss on the refs is silly. Redskins had plenty of opportunities to put that game away and win but they didnt.

Ya, it was a missed call. However, that doesn't mean that Dallas wouldn't have eventually scored anyway.

Archived