Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dog recommendations

JonsieRB34

I've always loved dogs and had a ****er spaniel for 16 years growing up. I live alone in a 1200 square foot condo and I was thinking about getting a dog for some companionship. What type of dog would you recommend, considering:

- I don't want a large dog (size of lab or bigger)

- I don't want a dog smaller than a ****er spaniel

- I have to leave it alone for 4 to potentially 9 hours at a time. I feel badly about leaving a dog locked up, and I'm wondering if any deal with it better.

- I'm hoping to get it as a puppy

- Don't care about pure breeds

Thanks.

If you are single and have to leave the dog alone for 4-9 hours a day... I wouldn't get a dog. At least if you have more then one dog they have companionship, but by yourself? Im not sure its the best idea for the dogs sake. Have you thought about a cat or an Iguana maybe? Dogs are pack animals and you also live in a condo, not a lot of room to play or run unless you take them downstairs outside... that may end up being a chore at night before bed or in the rain or snow.

Just something to think about. I just got my fifth dog. I have a largee pack. I alos live on over an acre, and have a 3000+ square foot house and my fiancee works from home three days a week.

If you have a crate/cage of sufficient size, you don't have to worry about leaving it for several hours at a time. In fact, one of our dogs sleeps in his crate all night after we go to sleep so he'll spend 7-8 hours in there. You just need to make sure he has warm bedding and a toy or something to keep him occupied. IMPORTANT: Do not expect that you can leave the pup like that right off the bat. You will need to get the dog acclimated to the crate, used to being left, comfortable with it and used to YOU and YOUR habits before you leave it like you are describing. You don't want to leave it for long stretches at first until it is trained..otherwise you'll end up with a dog with annoying abandonment and anxiety issues. If you need to, take time off of work the week that you get the dog and work it with every day to get it comfortable.

Pugs and dachsunds are good for what you are describing. Bulldogs are pretty relaxed too, and can entertain themselves well.

I've always loved dogs and had a ****er spaniel for 16 years growing up. I live alone in a 1200 square foot condo and I was thinking about getting a dog for some companionship. What type of dog would you recommend, considering:

- I don't want a large dog (size of lab or bigger)

- I don't want a dog smaller than a ****er spaniel

- I have to leave it alone for 4 to potentially 9 hours at a time. I feel badly about leaving a dog locked up, and I'm wondering if any deal with it better.

- I'm hoping to get it as a puppy

- Don't care about pure breeds

Thanks.

Being gone for 4 to 9 hours at a time - is that a daily thing or once-and-awhile? If daily, or close to it, I would suggest finding an older dog, or at least one that is out of puppyhood, that fits your requirements. Puppies can be alot of work, need training and socialization plus tend to have much more energy. We recently got a 3rd dog, a now 5 month old Great Dane mix, and she is up, every morning, at 4am.....but I have a second person here to help with that.

There really are not any specific breeds that handle being closed up for long stretches, though there are alot of individuals dogs that deal with it fine. Many dogs can acclimate themselves to crate training, like Stugein said, but others never learn to deal with it (our pug is fine, our pit HATES the crate to the point we made other arrangements after 4 years of trying).

As far as specific breeds, you are going to get all kinds of answers.

Do you want something that is good if you have allergies like many of the poodle or poodle mixes?

Do you mind smaller than ****er size dogs in general or would a "big" small dog, like a Pug or Boston work?

High energy or lower energy?

Smarter dog breeds like Border Collies and Aussies get bored easy, so are you willing to take steps with that while you are gone?

How about big but not massive - I have had many tell me retired racing Greyhounds, which many needs homes, are good for apartments/condos as long as they get a chance to run off energy once a day.

Dachsunds work well in small homes, but also are notorious for being hard to housebreak.

Your best bet would be to visit shelters and rescues - you will find the dog that fits you even if it takes some time.

First of all... get a cat. I'm a dog person that owns a cat and frankly it just made more sense because I'm not home for much of the time and my cat really doesn't give a **** :)

Second I wouldn't stuff a dog in a cage for any long period of time. People say it's ok but ask yourself, would you want to be stuck in a cage for 9 hours a day? No? Well odds are good that an animal that enjoys running around as it's only means of enjoyment would like it a hell of a lot less. Reading a book and watching TV isn't an option for them, they got run-around, smell-stuff, and chew-stuff... that's it. None of which can be accomplished to much satisfaction in a box. Also crated dogs sometimes try to make the most of their daily time outside of prison and become hyperactive. Not always but often.

Train it and you should be able to leave a medium sized dog in your home without need of a crate.

My advice (get a cat). Other than that find all the local pounds in your area and visit them all on the weekend. Talk to the people there and tell them what you want. If you don't find it on your first round of trips don't worry they get more all the time. :) In the mean time learn about training dogs, you want a puppy so focus on house breaking techniques (which will be a huge problem if the puppy is alone for 9 hours btw). Read read read or you'll become the douche bag that thinks swatting the puppy for not holding it's bladder for 9 hours makes sense.

(get a cat)

First of all... get a cat. I'm a dog person that owns a cat and frankly it just made more sense because I'm not home for much of the time and my cat really doesn't give a **** :)

Second I wouldn't stuff a dog in a cage for any long period of time. People say it's ok but ask yourself, would you want to be stuck in a cage for 9 hours a day? No? Well odds are good that an animal that enjoys running around as it's only means of enjoyment would like it a hell of a lot less. Reading a book and watching TV isn't an option for them, they got run-around, smell-stuff, and chew-stuff... that's it. None of which can be accomplished to much satisfaction in a box. Also crated dogs sometimes try to make the most of their daily time outside of prison and become hyperactive. Not always but often.

Train it and you should be able to leave a medium sized dog in your home without need of a crate.

My advice (get a cat). Other than that find all the local pounds in your area and visit them all on the weekend. Talk to the people there and tell them what you want. If you don't find it on your first round of trips don't worry they get more all the time. :) In the mean time learn about training dogs, you want a puppy so focus on house breaking techniques (which will be a huge problem if the puppy is alone for 9 hours btw). Read read read or you'll become the douche bag that thinks swatting the puppy for not holding it's bladder for 9 hours makes sense.

(get a cat)

To be clear, "potentially" for 9 hours doesn't mean that would be the norm or the expectation. To clarify, I could likely be gone no longer than 4 or 5 hours, 95% of the time.

A bit of condescending advice... but thanks for the perspective.

Being gone for 4 to 9 hours at a time - is that a daily thing or once-and-awhile? If daily, or close to it, I would suggest finding an older dog, or at least one that is out of puppyhood, that fits your requirements. Puppies can be alot of work, need training and socialization plus tend to have much more energy. We recently got a 3rd dog, a now 5 month old Great Dane mix, and she is up, every morning, at 4am.....but I have a second person here to help with that.

There really are not any specific breeds that handle being closed up for long stretches, though there are alot of individuals dogs that deal with it fine. Many dogs can acclimate themselves to crate training, like Stugein said, but others never learn to deal with it (our pug is fine, our pit HATES the crate to the point we made other arrangements after 4 years of trying).

As far as specific breeds, you are going to get all kinds of answers.

Do you want something that is good if you have allergies like many of the poodle or poodle mixes?

Do you mind smaller than ****er size dogs in general or would a "big" small dog, like a Pug or Boston work?

High energy or lower energy?

Smarter dog breeds like Border Collies and Aussies get bored easy, so are you willing to take steps with that while you are gone?

How about big but not massive - I have had many tell me retired racing Greyhounds, which many needs homes, are good for apartments/condos as long as they get a chance to run off energy once a day.

Dachsunds work well in small homes, but also are notorious for being hard to housebreak.

Your best bet would be to visit shelters and rescues - you will find the dog that fits you even if it takes some time.

I think looking at shelters and rescues is a great idea. I don't have any allergy issues, so that's not an issue. I guess there are pros and cons about the energy level of a dog, and the breed in general.

As far as the maintenance, as stated in another response, I probably wouldn't be away from home more than 4 or 5 hours very often at all. I've had a dog so I know what it's like to wake up early, walk him/her in the snow/rain, etc. I agree about the puppy though; I'd rather have a second person to help if I went that route. Either way, I have a neighbor that has a flexible work schedule that would happily help.

Thanks for your thoughts!

My family has a ****apoo (****er spaniel and poodle) and a peekapoo (peekanese(sp?) and poodle). On weekdays were all gone from 7am-3pm and they're fine. They're both pretty old (7 and 9) but the peekapoo has always just laid around the house for about 18 hours a day. I'm sure just about any dog can get used to no one being around for a long period of time everyday. The toughest part is house training them so they don't pee and poop everyone.

Archived