Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins midseason review

themurf

randle-el100209.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

After the bye week, the Washington Redskins are now back to work and preparing to take on the Atlanta Falcons. During the break, many players had the chance to take some time off and heal up while the coaching staff was charged with figuring out ways to rectify a 2-5 season. We thought it would be wise to take a cold, hard look at the situation from top to bottom out at Redskins Park and offer our take on the current state of the franchise.

Without further delay, here’s how we see things at the midpoint of the 2009 season:

The front office is delusional.

Vinny Cerrato, the team’s executive vice president of football operations, truly believes when Jim Zorn was named the head coach, he was given a roster fully capable of reaching the postseason. After all, they did so in 2007, when Joe Gibbs led the team to the playoffs. So, as far as Cerrato is concerned, Zorn had all the tools necessary to guide this team back to the postseason.

There’s just one problem – that’s crazy talk.

First, let’s address Cerrato’s line of thinking. Yes, the Redskins did make the playoffs in 2007. But that was clearly due to special circumstances.

Just in case he forgot, we’ll remind Cerrato that the 2007 Redskins were 5-7 and showing little sign of competent football before the team rallied together in honor of Sean Taylor’s death to steal four-straight victories and back into the postseason.

And let’s not forget that it took everything that team had – both physically and emotionally – just to qualify for the playoffs, which is why the team had nothing left in the tank once they got to Seattle for the opening round of the playoffs. So yes, that team did make the playoffs. But you and I both know that the 2007 Redskins had zero chance of actually winning the Super Bowl.

What Cerrato seemingly fails to grasp is there’s a difference between a playoff team and a team that can make the playoffs. The Colts, Steelers and Patriots are playoff teams. Meanwhile, teams like the Bengals, Cardinals and Redskins need to have everything fall into place, in terms of remaining healthy and lucky, just to play football in January.

Here’s the other issue: in 2007, when this team made the playoffs, they did so with a run-first, smash-mouth offense. They gave the ball to running back Clinton Portis 30 times a game and dared opponents to stop them. Now, even though the personnel remains largely unchanged, the team uses a finesse-oriented West Coast offense.

So basically you have a running back and offensive line that were tailor-made for running the ball and a quarterback who thrives out of the shotgun all being asked to run an offense that, from the outside, seemingly plays to none of their strengths. And that’s before we point out that the Redskins came into the 2009 season with the oldest offensive line in football.

This is the point where we’d happily give Cerrato a chance to clarify his stance and explain exactly what he sees that constitutes a playoff team.

The defensive coaches are clearly bipolar.

We’ve heard it all before: “We feel [Player A] and [Player B] are interchangeable.” Or: “[Player A] was struggling a little bit, so we put [Player B] into the game to see if he could make some plays for us.” Or the old Gregg Williams line: “We feel like we have 25 starters on defense.”

And to all of that, we call shenanigans.

Click here for the full article.

2007 wasn't special circumstances at all. The team was falling apart because the QB wasn't any good and they could no longer support his failures. They simply finally had the QB Al Saunders said we should be starting all along. 2006 would have been a no-show year most likely because of the defense but I don't think it's delusional at all to see a playoff capable team here. Did anyone foresee Samuels ending his career this year with a neck injury? Was Dockery not seen as an injection of youth on the line? THomas' injury you could foresee but his injury really hasn't killed the line. The line has some young pieces that they thought would add up to something. Baltimore wnet through growing pains with its young line as well. Sometimes you need time together before you become anything. I'd add that the Giants line also went through something similar. But you same people insist on instant results with young offensive linemen and our coaches don't start those types of guys out of loyalty to others.

QB has been the bane of this team for years and will continue to be until they find someone. Then some of you will realize how important it is---it made a difference in 2007 and in 2005, it's one reason we made it to the playoffs.

Our biggest mistake was not keeping Williams and letting him keep on Saunders and not only continuing what had been successful but going with the guy who had mastered that system and maybe bringing in another QB to eventually challenge for the starting spot. Oh, the other mistake was not getting one of the QBs they tried to get and thinking that there was "too big a price" to pay for an elite QB prospect. So, they settled with a loser who runs into the arms of guys who aren't even a threat to him and can't throw wide open TD passes to score points.

Sometimes you need time together before you become anything. I'd add that the Giants line also went through something similar. But you same people insist on instant results with young offensive linemen and our coaches don't start those types of guys out of loyalty to others.

This offensive line is the oldest in the league and has below-average depth because all of the team's money is tied up in skill position players.

Are you pretending that Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas didn't both come into this season with health concerns? Samuels underwent triceps and knee surgeries in the offseason and Thomas hasn't been healthy in years. Both were eased back into the rotation during camp, etc. because the team knew they weren't ready for full speed when everything started up.

Replacing Pete Kendall with Derrick Dockery was wise, but they still opted to go into a season with an over-the-hill line and no depth behind the starters. Years of neglecting the offensive line in the draft (and that's including the Chad Rinehart pick) have finally burned the franchise.

Take it from "us people" - if you have no offensive line, you have no offense. It's happened before in other cities and it's happening here now. If you're surprised at what's going on, then you haven't been paying attention.

About Horton and Doughty, the coaches stated very clearly that it depends on the type of team they're playing and what that team is doing. The more run-oriented, or if there less of a threat to pass a lot, they put Doughty in... the more pass-oriented or if the team is in a situation where they need to pass more they let Horton play.

It actually makes a ton of sense. Can't agree with you there at all. :)

About Horton and Doughty, the coaches stated very clearly that it depends on the type of team they're playing and what that team is doing. The more run-oriented, or if there less of a threat to pass a lot, they put Doughty in... the more pass-oriented or if the team is in a situation where they need to pass more they let Horton play.

It actually makes a ton of sense. Can't agree with you there at all. :)

You're going to have to show me a link to back that up, my friend. Because I will tell you, they put on a smile and says all the right things, like "I can only make the most of the opportunities when they put me in," but both guys have said to me that they have no idea what's to expect week to week.

You're going to have to show me a link to back that up, my friend. Because I will tell you, they put on a smile and says all the right things, like "I can only make the most of the opportunities when they put me in," but both guys have said to me that they have no idea what's to expect week to week.

Another tell, right there, eh? You have two quality people doing their jobs best they can and on the team they play for, they have no idea what to expect. I wonder how many other teams you'd find where guys like that have that level of uncertainly about everything.

Take it from "us people" - if you have no offensive line, you have no offense. It's happened before in other cities and it's happening here now. If you're surprised at what's going on, then you haven't been paying attention.

"stop the excuses"

:jk: sorry couldn't resist.

no matter what era, no matter what scheme, it is the the #1 truth in football.... you win and lose in the trenches.

This offensive line is the oldest in the league and has below-average depth because all of the team's money is tied up in skill position players.

Are you pretending that Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas didn't both come into this season with health concerns? Samuels underwent triceps and knee surgeries in the offseason and Thomas hasn't been healthy in years. Both were eased back into the rotation during camp, etc. because the team knew they weren't ready for full speed when everything started up.

Replacing Pete Kendall with Derrick Dockery was wise, but they still opted to go into a season with an over-the-hill line and no depth behind the starters. Years of neglecting the offensive line in the draft (and that's including the Chad Rinehart pick) have finally burned the franchise.

I completely agree with ya Murf!

It's amazing to me how so much emphasis is placed on the age of the Redskin offensive line. If you think age is a negative, check the ages of the 2008 Pro Bowl NFC starters on the OL. Its not age, its ability and durability. Quite honestly, the Redskins didn't have such a hot OL before Thomas and Samuels went down. Rabach gets whipped like a rented mule, Dockery is average at best and has a problem waiting for the ball to be snapped, and the rest are vintage Vinny. This line will have to be rebuilt from the ground up and young is not nearly as important as good.

It's amazing to me how so much emphasis is placed on the age of the Redskin offensive line.

So lemme see if I've got this straight - your basis for your argument is that old people win a glorified popularity contest, so therefore we shouldn't knock their age? That's a slightly flawed logic, wouldn't you say?

This isn't rocket surgery, but, as you grow older, the wear and tear adds up and your body begins to break down. Anyone who gets paid to build a professional franchise for a living should know that placing all your eggs in one proverbial basket (in this case, heading into a season with the oldest offensive line in football) is a recipe for disaster.

So the Pro Bowl is purely a glorified popularity contest and the participants are really not that good, just popular like Samuels, Portis, and Sellers and the late Sean Taylor, not to mention Albert Haynesworth. Hmmm!!!

Let me answer your question with a question - do the Cowboys really have 13 players who should be considered the best at their respective positions? Because they routinely are among the teams with the most Pro Bowl players.

If the Pro Bowl actually meant something, a guy like London Fletcher would be a mainstay and a guy like Roy Williams (the safety) would never go to Hawaii unless he took a vacation during the offseason.

Is this the point where I'm supposed to write 'Hmmm!!!' or something equally sassy?

I'm 100% sure Jerry Gray said it in an interview. It wasn't too long ago either. I'm not going to go through every interview to where he said this, but a simple search here on Extremeskins had this nugget:

On Safety Chris Horton:

“If you watch that game last week - he played more than Reed [Doughty]. What you have to do, is kind of take a feel. The game was better for Chris [Horton] last week. They were actually doing more passes, not really running and pounding the ball up in there, but when Chris had a chance, he went in there and filled up the lead blocker and stuff like that. What we are trying to do is figure out what is best for our guys and put them in the position to win.”

Here's the link:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=304301

Go down to Jerry Gray's section. That should definitely tell you what the coaches have in mind for them. Horton when it's more of a passing team or situation, Doughty otherwise.

I await your apology. :silly:

I think it's sad (and maybe telling) that Horton and Doughty indicated to you they don't know what's going on.

Jerry Gray: "What you have to do, is kind of take a feel."

Like I said, the coaches are bipolar and seemingly make it up as they go along. The players have no idea when they show up for work how much or how little they will be involved week to week.

If the same was true for you or I - meaning we didn't have a clearly defined role at our place of work - we would most likely be less productive and struggle with the situation as well.

Again, pick one of them. Doesn't matter which one. Sit them both down and explain how it is going to be. That way, everyone is on the same page and can come to work knowing what to expect day to day. Chances are you'll get better production out of both of them instead of jerking them around needlessly.

Thank you for making my point for me. Even if you didn't mean to.

Like I said, the coaches are bipolar and seemingly make it up as they go along. The players have no idea when they show up for work how much or how little they will be involved week to week.

but isn't that do to the game plan isn't set until the week of the game?

depending on the opponents tenancies, and the game plan devised do the coaches decide which players Skills are best suited to play the most against said opponents?

both are good at what they do, but aren't overall sound ( like the late Sean Taylor), but each have different talents. Combined they play the one position very well

but isn't that do to the game plan isn't set until the week of the game?

depending on the opponents tenancies, and the game plan devised do the coaches decide which players Skills are best suited to play the most against said opponents?

both are good at what they do, but aren't overall sound ( like the late Sean Taylor), but each have different talents. Combined they play the one position very well

I fully understand that you're going to have to make adjustments week-to-week in terms of gameplanning for a particular opponent. But let me attempt to provide a human element to a game that is typically only seen in the eyes of folks with a fantasy football mindset (i.e. - players are completely interchangeable, etc.)

Until this week, Kevin Barnes goes into every week knowing he won't play on Sundays. He's in meetings and he's watching film, but he's not getting any reps because others have been put ahead of him on the depth chart. That means he's got a clearly defined role and if he wants to do something about it, it's on him to prove to the coaching staff that he can be trusted to execute the plays they call.

But with guys like Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, it's almost as if the coaches keep flip flopping them in hopes one will step up and take the job from the other. So you get one week where Kelly takes all the snaps and then a week or two later, he's basically written out of the gameplan in favor of Thomas. Same with Horton and Doughty.

I keep bringing it back to this and people keep failing to see what I'm getting at - how effective would you be if your boss came in and jerked you around every other week with seemingly no rhyme or reason? Would you still be able to perform your job at the highest level or would you be distracted wondering which of the multiple personalities was playing the role of boss today?

I think too often people forget that these are real people who are affected by what goes on around them. If you would struggle in that kind of unstable work environment, then why wouldn't Reed Doughty or Devin Thomas? Stick with one guy and really give them a chance to sink or swim and you're at least giving them a legitimate opportunity. The coaches showed more than enough patience with Jason Campbell at quarterback and Antwaan Randle El on punt returns, so why not do the same with your young players at positions like receiver and safety?

But with guys like Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, it's almost as if the coaches keep flip flopping them in hopes one will step up and take the job from the other. So you get one week where Kelly takes all the snaps and then a week or two later, he's basically written out of the gameplan in favor of Thomas. Same with Horton and Doughty.

I keep bringing it back to this and people keep failing to see what I'm getting at - how effective would you be if your boss came in and jerked you around every other week with seemingly no rhyme or reason?

Wow - great post.

This reminds me of how it's pretty much common knowledge why you don't flip-flop QBs. Because it doesn't work! Everybody pretty much knows that, right? So, why wouldn't it be true with safety and WR or any other position?

I don't know. Seems like we're so desperate to find something that works well, we're trying anything. Everything we do, on and off the field, appears to be an act of desperation - because we have absolutely nothing to lose.

If the same was true for you or I - meaning we didn't have a clearly defined role at our place of work - we would most likely be less productive and struggle with the situation as well.

Again, pick one of them. Doesn't matter which one. Sit them both down and explain how it is going to be. That way, everyone is on the same page and can come to work knowing what to expect day to day. Chances are you'll get better production out of both of them instead of jerking them around needlessly.

Thank you for making my point for me. Even if you didn't mean to.

No, I don't think it's bi-polar at all. It's actually pretty clear. Run-oriented offense = Doughty, Pass-oriented offense = Horton. That can easily change during the game as well, as teams may come out passing or running more, and thus, Horton or Doughty go in by circumstance.

Why is this difficult? Look, if it's any consolation I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We definitely have some dysfunction within the organization, but to pick on this is going too far. If Horton and Doughty don't get it that's their fault.

And yes, I'm only talking about Horton/Doughty here so it's unfair for you to bring up Malcolm and Devin. And yes, Safeties are not equal to QBs or even WRs who need to "get into a rhythm" so to speak. Wouldn't you say that most teams in the NFL use their Safety depth considerably? I feel like I'm constantly seeing defense's put in different Safety combinations. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I just don't think the Safety position is comparable, ya know? ;)

I would say a defense "in rhythm" is more confident in themselves as a unit. Questions bring uncertainty and uncertainty is the opposite of confident which in turn works against rhythm. Who's playing safety is a question that needs to be answered every play. I believe we have a very good defense in spite of the uncertainty at who's going to play safety. That is probably because we are blessed with two very good strong safeties. I just wonder if the one thing that's keeping us from turning the ball over more is the lack of "rhythm" created by the uncertainty. After all, our offense does so much better when it starts inside our opponent's 20.

2007 wasn't special circumstances at all. The team was falling apart because the QB wasn't any good and they could no longer support his failures. They simply finally had the QB Al Saunders said we should be starting all along.
(sigh) The revisionism continues.......

0-4 streak in 2007

Total offensive net Ypg: 344.5

Opponents’ yards allowed per game: 321.75

4-0 streak in 2007

Total offensive net Ypg: 343.75

Opponents’ yards allowed per game: 227.25

What accounts for this, if not simply that the team stepped it up for Sean?

So, they settled with a loser who runs into the arms of guys who aren't even a threat to him
Pure fiction. Never happened.
and can't throw wide open TD passes to score points.
That's what he's been doing. Unfortunetely his targets keep dropping them.

Archived