Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The fat food Nazis are at it again...

Golgo-13

This time they are attacking ice cream

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The healthy food watchdog that took all the fun out of Chinese take-out and movie popcorn has done it again, this time with summer's favored treat -- ice cream.

"Everyone knows that ice cream isn't a health food," the Center for Science in the Public Interest, an independent, nonprofit group, said in a study released on Wednesday.

"But the staggering calorie and saturated fat content of most of the treats served up at chains like Baskin-Robbins, Ben and Jerry's, Cold Stone Creamery, Friendly's, Haagen-Dazs and TCBY is bound to surprise most consumers."

The CSPI said an empty Ben & Jerry's chocolate-dipped waffle cone, designed to hold at least two scoops of ice cream, itself packs 320 calories and 10 grams or half a day's worth of saturated fat.

"If you put a regular scoop of Chunky Monkey ice cream in that cone, it is going to be worse for you than (a) one-pound rack of baby back ribs, with with 820 calories and 30 grams of saturated fat," CSPI nutritionist Jayne Hurley told a news conference to publicize the study.

"This is something eaten by people strolling around a mall," she added. "They have no idea they have just eaten 820 calories and one and a half days worth of saturated fat."

Haagen-Dazs's Mint Chip Dazzler, a sundae in a cup, has three scoops of ice cream, fudge, cookies, sprinkles and cream -- and 1,270 calories, the group said.

Its 38 grams of fat is more more than the day's allowance as calculated by the U.S. government, which says the average American should eat between 2,000 and 2,500 calories a day.

The CSPI called on restaurants and ice cream parlors to list the fat and calorie content of food on menus, helping them make better choices about the food they eat.

AMERICANS TOO FAT

The CSPI's Michael Jacobson said the report backed his group's argument that restaurants carry at least some responsibility for the obesity epidemic in the United States.

More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight and 30 percent are obese, both of which raise the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other big killers.

"It is clear that companies are using every means that they can devise to get us to eat more and bigger products and therefore to spend more in their shops," Jacobson said. "The least they can do, the least they must do, is provide customers with factual information."

He said even food that is labeled may be incorrectly labeled. "Cold Stone Creamery offers fat-free frozen yogurt, or so they would have you believe," Jacobson said. CSPI tests showed a small, 7 ounce serving contained 11 grams of fat and 7 grams of artery-clogging saturated fat.

"Ice cream is an indulgent dessert, and like any indulgence, is meant be enjoyed in moderation," Cold Stone Creamery spokesman Kevin Donnellan responded.

"Lower calorie options for our customers, such as yogurt, sorbet and lowfat and nonfat mix-ins are also made available in all our stores," he said in a statement.

Spokeswomen for Friendly Ice Cream Corporation and Ben & Jerry's could not immediately be reached.

Baskin-Robbins is owned by British food and drink group Allied Domecq Plc, Anglo-Dutch group Unilever owns Ben & jerry's and Haagen-Dazs is marketed by Swiss food giant Nestle .

In the past CSPI has put out reports publicizing the health-threatening qualities of other popular foods, including Chinese take-out meals and popcorn.

So, what there saying is, I should stop putting ice cream on my salad?

Next thing you know, they're gonna tell me that tomato sauce is not a vegetable.

I'll be right back...I'm just gonna go get a warm glass of gravy.

Great. And now we can expect Jane Fonda to be filing a lawsuit because male nutritionists hid this truth from her.

How are these guys funded anyways? I'd be willing to periodically issue research like this for a few hundred grand a year.

Next year's projects: Is flavored yogurt with half a cup of sugar in it a health food? Hmmmm...

Wouldn't this constitute fraud?

He said even food that is labeled may be incorrectly labeled. "Cold Stone Creamery offers fat-free frozen yogurt, or so they would have you believe," Jacobson said. CSPI tests showed a small, 7 ounce serving contained 11 grams of fat and 7 grams of artery-clogging saturated fat.

I'll bet you that most people don't know how many calories, on average, it takes to gain a pound of weight.

I'll also bet you that most people don't know how many calories are burned, on average, by performing a certain exercise or task.

Or how many calories are in a gram of fat.

Or the difference between saturated fat, trans fats, polyunsaturated fats, and monounsaturated fat.

Here's the point. More than half of Americans are fat or obese. They need to educate themselves on nutrition if they want to start an effective program of weight loss. How many times do you hear, "I've tried to lose weight but I can't seem to do it?" The reason they can't is because they don't know the nutritional composition of the food they're eating and how it contributes to their overall weight. Most people simply think that volume of food is all they have to pay attention to.

There is nothing wrong, and every right with pressuring food establishments to detailing the nutritional content of their foods in order to help people make choices when trying to maintain a healthy weight.

Originally posted by TheKurp

I'll bet you that most people don't know how many calories, on average, it takes to gain a pound of weight.

I'll also bet you that most people don't know how many calories are burned, on average, by performing a certain exercise or task.

Had everyone stayed awake during their health class in college then they would know.

The only people I blame are the ones who are overweight, you can get a book and read if you want to know that bad. There are free public libraries and the internet for information.

I am sick of people trying to blame someone else for their weight problems. When are US citizens going to learn to point the finger at themselves.

While I do think that all food should have nutritional information posted on the packaging, it is up to the individual to get educated.

I really doubt there are too many people out there that are really confused as to why they are overweight.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

jbooma,

So american citizens should know that there is dangerous amounts of fat in foods that are labeled fat free?

Please give me an example?? No one ever said ice cream is fat free. If they american public is being lied to that is different. All the labels that say either fat free or 90% have to be accurate.

Read the story jbooma.

In fact...I will save you the trouble and post it for the THIRD TIME.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Read the story jbooma.

In fact...I will save you the trouble and post it for the THIRD TIME.

This all depends on what the food and drug administration considers fat free. How many servings, exactly how much fat etc......

This has been a debate going on for the food industry for quite some time. The other thing is if this CSPI test is even legit or not.

What all the companies must show is the percentage of saturated fat per serving. If this company is quoting wrong then they should be in trouble. I don't know if the FDA even gives a dam about the CSPI test or not.

The labeling issue is different, of course, from the fundamental issue of ice cream being a health food.

If they're intentionally mislabeling, that's actionable, either by the state regulatory body or by any consumer (assuming the state has a consumer protection statute).

But as an earlier poster noted, I'd doubt any overweight person (and I resemble that remark) has any doubt over why they're overweight.

I'll add another question to my earlier ones.

How many people know that when given the choice between two identical foods with identical portions, except that one is labeled fat-free, they might actually gain more weight from eating the fat-free food?

How many people know that when given the choice between two identical foods with identical portions, except that one is labeled fat-free, they might actually gain more weight from eating the fat-free food?

Kurp now you have lossed it. :laugh:

:high: :bong: :40oz:

Kurp,

In my experiences with Atkins/low carb, I did notice that most fat-free or low-fat foods had a lot more carbs than their fattier counterparts. I never ate the low-fat stuff while on a low-carb diet because of this.

I'll assume then jbooma that you didn't know that. Exactly the reason why full disclosure on nutritional content should be the standard in the food industry.

Now if you want me to explain how you can actually gain more weight eating the fat-free food, I'll be happy to.

Exactly Blazers21. In order to compensate for the difference in taste from removing the fat, food manufacturers often add more simple carbs, or sugar if you will, to make it more palatable. The end result though is more calories than the identical product with the fat left in.

Now if you want me to explain how you can actually gain more weight eating the fat-free food, I'll be happy to.

My guess would be that more carbs=more weight gain. Add in any amount of fat to the carbs, and you get even more weight gain.

Edit: see above. :)

Archived