Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Life as a Skins Fan...Hows yours???

SKINFAN23

I have only ever rock my skins gear on game day. Honestly I think that the people who insist on wearing their jerseys during the week in times like these are mostly gluttons for punishment. I am sure a couple didnt have anything else clean to wear, and a couple want a reason to gloat over those of us they consider "not real" or "not hardcore" enough, but the rest of you are warriors. I will always support this team, but I am done being proud of it, for this year at least.

Here's what makes things tough in Bronco-country:

1) This organization here cares about the fans.

2) This owner "gets it". He spends money and expects a winner, but he doesn't play GM.

3) This team has a great home-field advantage, even though they no longer play in their old, charming, dilapidated stadium (Mile High Stadium), they've managed to create a new gameday experience at Invesco Field where the fans can easily get to the game, are right on top of the action, they make the stadium shake, and basically commune with the team.

4) This team has great tradition and LEVERAGES that tradition to improve its relationship with the community and keep its extremely loyal fanbase from generation to generation. They're an organic part of the community.

So, to answer your question, life as a Skins fan is downright depressing. Every day, I see that the Broncos are what the Redskins USED to be and what every fan wishes they WOULD be. The Redskins certainly have the fanbase and tradition necessary to do the same things the Broncos do. They don't have quite the same stadium experience, based on what I've read, and they certainly don't have an owner who "gets it".

I was born in washington d.c. in 1980 and lived in Rockville, MD until i was 4yrs old. So, I was in Skins country during the glory days in my diapers wearing a little #7 Theisman jersey lol. Funny thing is that I live 15min. from the place where Riggins had his legendary Super Bowl MVP performance now. I don't know any Redskins fans in this city, but Cowboy fans are always around and steeler fans are conveniently popping up more now. The only person that really gives me crap is one of my friends who is a Cowboys fan, but he really doesn't have much ammo to throw at me since the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game we had just turned 16 and im going on 29 in Dec!! Funny thing about where I live is that there is this one random house that has both an Eagles flag and a Redskins flag flying on the porch. I'm sure there are some interesting arguments going on in that household hehe. Living in L.A. County I see more Raider Nation stuff on cars than anything else. You would think the Raiders never left L.A. with the fanbase they still have here. Luckily the Raiders have sucked for a while, but every now and then I'll hear a Raider fan bring up the 38-9 super bowl win over the redskins blah... :mad:. Los Angeles has 1 super bowl and it came against the Redskins... Whether the Redskins are good or not I'm always pumped when they are on tv. No matter how bad the Redskins are I always get sucked in and excited to watch them on MNF since they aren't on tv every week here. I realize im setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm a fan and can't help it. At this point I'm starting to become numb to all the bad Vibes flooding Redskinville back East. My main concern is that the Redskins show up to play against the Chargers since I have tickets for that game.

Everyone hates on skins fans everywhere around the D.C. metro area. I got heckled constantly in college (college park, MD, idiot Ravens fans who hate us for some reason everywhere), constantly at work (alexandria, VA, all of management are giants/cowboys fans) and at home (derwood, MD, mix of steelers/ravens/cowboys). I used to walk home from the metro in college park every day and get yelled at at least 2-4 times a week about how the redskins suck.

I don't really care enough about other people to want to yell at them for what they are wearing. You get used to it, I don't even think about it anymore.

Wow dude. An hour and it's like that?

Sounds almost like in the 80's when I saw someone wearing an ugly ass Orange TB Bucs hat or shirt.

It was like "DUDE, are ****ing kidding me?"

I guess the Skins are one of the jokes now right there with the 80's Colts/Bucs/Cards/Lions, or the 90's Bengals/Rams/Browns. WTF happened here, Snyder?

Dude, I liked the fluorescent orange and white colors. "Cream sickle" colors. I miss them....:cry:

I presume most of this is due to Northern VA being one of the fastest growing states. A lot of homes and business being built. Goverment agencies all moving out of the big city and moving to the suberbs. Plus jobs available.

I've had fans from other teams yell stuff from their car( I have skins MD plates) and had a dumb cowboy fan laying on his horn on me for no apparent reason. When I run into some fans they don't even heckle..they say they feel sorry for us loyal Skins fans stuck with a crappy team/front office) I think I'd rather be heckled lol

I live less than 3-4 minutes to Redskins Park (Broadlands, Ashburn). While most of Ashburn is and will always be for the Skins you can't but help and notice the mood as far as local pubs and bars. There aren't A LOT of places to go hang out and watch the games but every place has the same drowsy and frustrated mood.

I grew up in maryland but have lived in hawaii for 3 years now and I never hear the end of it for being a skins fan. tons of bandwagon fans here since there are no pro teams but it is a huge pet peeve of mine talking to that kind of fan. you know the type. they root for the yankees and steelers and lakers yet they have never seen any of their "lifelong" teams play and have never even been to any of those cities. woah buddy your are fuking bulletproof for sports smack talk man are you lucky rofl please. I cannot stand hearing **** from these kind of fans. nowadays I try to sway the conversation to my fantasy roster to relate to other football fans and keep the topic off of zorn. "oh hey you like the saints huh (OF COURSE YOU DO THEY ARE UNDEFEATED *PULLS HAIR OUT*) I grabbed brees first round of the draft and has me at #1 in my league right now!" "GO SAINTS!" anything to steer clear of the redskins talk. doesn't help my roommate is from dallas and loves to announce to the world who my favorite football team is every time we hit the bars. I am not looking forward to the MNF game with all my giants and eagles friends. I may stay home sick for that BBQ. I am the lone token redskins fan at the bar in a sea of winning team fans, it sucks.

Well I was walking down the street yesterday, went into a bar and the bartender and a few of his buddies actually laughed at me...

So after I left the bar, I was walking to my car where about 5 guys saw my hoodie and proceeded to laugh at me as well... Then they dragged me into their truck, bound my hands, tied me to the trailer hitch with rope and made me run behind it, as they hit the highway, I tripped on a pot hole and was dragged for around 400 feet before I could get back up... Finally the cops showed up and issued them a citation for speeding... While the cop was writing the ticket I jumped into the truck bed hoping that they wouldn't see me...

Unfortunately the cop saw me jump in and alerted the driver who shortened the rope, so now I was getting hit with gravel while running at approximately 75 miles per hour... Afterwards, they brutally gang raped me...

I still can hardly see, but I guess it's the price you pay to root on your franchise... It's still better than having to watch the game...

Archived