Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Else Think Campbell Gets Stage Fright?

MarkRascadizzle

For me, it's only logical explanation for why the coaches have so much faith in the kid, yet rarely gets it done on gameday.

My guess is that he lights up the house in practice and easily outperforms the other quarterbacks on the roster, but when there is a stadium of cheering fans watching him he tenses up and overthinks. This is why I think he takes so long with his reads.

It's also apparent in his media conferences. He looks as much as a deer in the headlights as he does on the field.

Physically, Campbell may have everything to be an amazing quarterback in the league, but he just doesn't have the psychology of an elite NFL quarterback. A good NFL quarterback must love the spotlight, love having everybody watch him, love being the leader, and love leading his team to victory in front of thousands of people. Jason just naturally doesn't have this psychology, and he never will.

I'm not bashing the guy. It's not his fault, and he's obviously an extremely talented individual, just not one that can show you his best in front of thousands of fans.

I will say that while collins didn't look outstanding, he made decisions a lot quicker and he took some chances down the field. I know that Jason took some chances in this game as well, but Collins really took some shots in the endzone during the game. I will bet that Collins is the starter. I like Jason and have always wanted him to do well, but my guess is that his time of starting here and probably anywhere else is over. I really hope that he gets a shot somewhere else, but I know that more than likely won't happen. He is a really good guy and I had the opportunity to meet him one time. He was really nice and I really wish him all the best wherever he may end up.

I wouldn't call it stage fright. I think since he had his head slammed hard into the ground last year by Woodley in the Steelers game that he lost confidence in the o-line to provide protection. That, to me, was the turning point.

You can't play the quarterback position with one eye on what the o-line is doing and one eye trying to go through reads, find open receivers, etc. Plus he did get panickey when the protection started to break down whether it was on the o-line or because he didn't get rid of the ball fast enough.

Campbell never showed a whole lot in practice' date=' that is why it took him so long to get on the field.

[b']Campbell's only quality as a QB is that physically he looks like one, but we could get a statue a lot cheaper that would look just as good, and the drop off in production would only be minimal.[/b]

:rotflmao:

hahahahhahaaha

I wouldn't call it stage fright. I think since he had his head slammed hard into the ground last year by Woodley in the Steelers game that he lost confidence in the o-line to provide protection. That, to me, was the turning point.

You can't play the quarterback position with one eye on what the o-line is doing and one eye trying to go through reads, find open receivers, etc. Plus he did get panickey when the protection started to break down whether it was on the o-line or because he didn't get rid of the ball fast enough.

So it's the lines fault?

So it's the lines fault?

Did I say that? I put both scenarios in my post. The protection breaking down and JC holding the ball too long, because there were times when it was on the line and times when it was JC.

It really doesn't matter if you're a quarterback and you're playing too self-concious of what's going on in front of you to focus on what you need to be doing. You can't play shell-shocked regardless of who's fault it is.

:laugh:

Turning point? JC has been the same his entire career. No real spikes positive or negative. Just a really vanilla QB, imo.

Did I say that? I put both scenarios in my post. The protection breaking down and JC holding the ball too long, because there were times when it was on the line and times when it was JC.

It really doesn't matter if you're a quarterback and you're playing too self-concious of what's going on in front of you to focus on what you need to be doing. You can't play shell-shocked regardless of who's fault it is.

Well I wasn't sure if you were saying that or not. That's where there's a question mark at the end of my post.

Thanks for clarifying and I mostly agree with you. I think that's probably a factor as well. Not the only (or biggest) one though. I just think the game is too fast for him.

Well if that's really the case, then he's done in the NFL.

Once you start looking at the pass rush instead of your reads, you're finished.

Although personally, I don't think that's it. I think, as others have said, everything's just too fast for him. He doesn't read the defense correctly pre-snap, Rabach hikes him the ball, and he literally only understands a portion of what he's seeing before he feels the pass rush around him. Leading to missed guys, inaccurate throws, etc. He just doesn't get what's happening in front of him, with the defense shifting around and his receivers making breaks.

I think Collins has the exact opposite issues as Campbell. Campbell has the arm strength to make the throws but can't read the D's and all that stuff. Collins can read D's, make quick decisions, etc but can't make all the throws.
Agreed.

Collins is extremely smart, but he has to push some throws, and he's limited a bit in the pocket by his lack of mobility.

I don't know if its stage fright but he must play a lot better in practice than he does in games. He seems to hesitate and struggles to find open receivers.

The Skins don't have a #1 QB on their roster, they have 2 backups, each with strengths and weaknesses. Collins may be a better fit for this offense, but only slightly. Zorn should give him a week with preparation and reps and see how it goes on Monday night.

Archived