Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Next Head Coach Will NOT Get a Free Pass

Springfield

Will YOU still take the H1N1 vaccine?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will YOU still take the H1N1 vaccine?

• Yes, It's safe enough
    • No, not It's untested and dangerous

It is a forgone conclusion that this season will end in disaster. Most Skins fans that I know are predicting a 3-13 record, with the most optimistic prediction I've heard being 6-10. It's a forgone conclusion that Jim Zorn will not be the coach here next season, hell, he may not even last the entirety of this season.

I have already decided that the next head coach we get here in DC will not have any sort of grace period, no "free pass". I hope that the rest of Redskins Nation would follow suit.

There are a few possibilities on what happens between the rest of this season and the start of the next.

The most probable (in my opinion) is that Zorn stays with the team until the end of the season. After the season is over, in failure, Zorn is fired and the search begins. During the search, we will hear several big names that we like, some that we don't. The board will be alive with activity and hope for our next leader. Snyder/Cerrato (who is obviously still employed here) will pick a big name. Big splash coach.

The scenario that I think the board would most like to see would be the termination of Cerrato, a GM brought in and a "real" head coach search conducted. Could end up in a big splash coach, could end up in another up and coming coach. The board, as of right now, would be delighted with a real GM running things.

What I am saying right now, new GM or not, is that the next Head Coach of the Washington Redskins needs to produce immediately. His first season needs to be a winning one with a playoff appearance or near miss. The team needs to look like it is a professional football team and not a damn circus. It doesn't need to take a "rebuilding process" to turn this team around. What it will take is a good coach. If we perform terribly next season, it's time to find somebody else.

While some on the board will see a name like Shanahan or Gruden and automatically assume that we will be great, I need proof. I need to see that next Head Coach perform before I assume we will be great.

I disagree with this quite a bit and think this is the exact opposite of what should happen

If we bring in a GM, change the front office structure and go into re-build mode, I am going to be very patient.

If you truly rebuild you are more like the Lions of 2009 as opposed to the Dolphins of 2008

If its done right, I'll have lots of patience

If its Gruden, the same FO structure and a bunch of free agents, I know it'll fail

Any you people call Snyder an idiot. The more time I spend here, the less I think Redskins fans actually know about football and how the NFL works.

Yup. Snyder is a reflection of quite a bit of the fan base.

I think more and more people are now coming to terms that this team needs a true rebuild

And a true rebuild requires 2-3 losing/no playoff seasons as you dump old crappy players, bring in young draft picks, and those guys gain expierence.

A true year in year out Superbowl contender is not born overnight.

Not the Patriots (5-11 in Belichecks first year)

Nor the Colts (3-13 in Manning's first year)

Nor the early 1990s Cowgirls

Hell, even the Stillers had some losing seasons in the late 1990s

If its Gruden, the same FO structure and a bunch of free agents, I know it'll fail

Yep, this crap isn't working, if we go through this again(meaning firing a head coach) in two years and Cerrato is still with the team, I am out, I will throw my 37 years old Redskins Fan Card away. We go through this crap every couple of years, and I am sick of it, I won't be able to support Danny Snyder anymore, he doesn't deserve it.

Yep, this crap isn't working, if we go through this again in two years and Cerrato is still with the team, I am out, I will throw my 37 years old Redskins Fan Card away. We go through this crap every couple of years, and I am sick of it, I won't be able to support Danny Snyder anymore, he doesn't deserve it.

Agree. I think a lot of us are in that boat. If Cerrato is around, well we know it'll fail and good luck having me put the investment into the team.

HOWEVER, if Snyder brings in a real football guy. This football guy is in charge of the personnel and HE hires the next head coach and we go into true re-build mode, well I am willing to put up with some growing pains.

Year in year out Superbowl contending teams simply are not re-built overnight. There will be a losing season at the start as the team is re-tooled and you make changes to the organization.

Flash in the pan, mediocre teams may start off nice, but usually end up where we are, 8-8, 7-9, and starting over again

I disagree with this quite a bit and think this is the exact opposite of what should happen

If we bring in a GM, change the front office structure and go into re-build mode, I am going to be very patient.

If you truly rebuild you are more like the Lions of 2009 as opposed to the Dolphins of 2008

If its done right, I'll have lots of patience

I don't think that there needs to be a huge rebuilding process. I don't think it's necessary in the NFL, at least not in today's NFL. A good coach and program can make a lot of difference.

Josh McDaniels came to Denver and they look completely reinvigorated. Nobody thought they would be any good. Most people here would have rather had Campbell than Orton before the season started.

Mike Singletary came to San Francisco and they have certainly turned around. They aren't the epitome of a great football team but you can't say they are heading the wrong direction. They even have a shot at their division this season.

I'm not saying that I'll be all "torches and pitchforks" at the beginning of next season if we start 2-3. But if we look entirely the same, completely disorganized, I'll be concerned. If we look as bad after a 16 game season, I'll want a new coach.

Agree. I think a lot of us are in that boat. If Cerrato is around, well we know it'll fail and good luck having me put the investment into the team.

HOWEVER, if Snyder brings in a real football guy. This football guy is in charge of the personnel and HE hires the next head coach and we go into true re-build mode, well I am willing to put up with some growing pains.

Year in year out Superbowl contending teams simply are not re-built overnight. There will be a losing season at the start as the team is re-tooled and you make changes to the organization.

Flash in the pan, mediocre teams may start off nice, but usually end up where we are, 8-8, 7-9, and starting over again

They were talking about this on 980 today. The first sign the new head coach didn't have any say was when they hired Zorn to be the offensive coordinator. I am fine with growing pains as well, the current Redskins management style is so obvious, I guess what put me over the top was when they hired a consultant for the coach.

I'm not saying that I'll be all "torches and pitchforks" at the beginning of next season if we start 2-3. But if we look entirely the same, completely disorganized, I'll be concerned. If we look as bad after a 16 game season, I'll want a new coach.

Well sure, but lets be honest, the teams you have mentioned also have had a young foundation laid down with lots of young players.

The 49ers SUCKED last year, and its still very early.

Denver has been very lucky to be 5-0. 2 overtime games in that mix, and some very close games.

You want a year in year out Superbowl contender or do you want teams that are meh year in year out.

Hell look at Zorn the first 8 games of last year. 6-2 and we were thinking playoffs minimum. It was a mirage

A year in year out Superbowl team needs a foundation. And you get that foundation with young guys, lots of them, who will have it rough their first season.

The key thing I think is that the team IMPROVES over the course of the season. That the November/December version of a team in the head coach's first year is BETTER then the September/October version. That it looks like a professional football team out there

Schotty had that in year 1. As did Gibbs 1.0 and 2.0. Zorn, after 6-2 fell apart.

If you look at the year in year out contenders, and those first seasons in particular, they were better at the end of year 1 compared to that start.

And this team, with the talent it has, is NOWHERE near contending for a Superbowl. Not at all.

So it will take time, if its done right, just like the time it took for the Capitals to get good

They were talking about this on 980 today. The first sign the new head coach didn't have any say was when they hired Zorn to be the offensive coordinator. I am fine with growing pains as well, the current Redskins management style is so obvious, I guess what put me over the top was when they hired a consultant for the coach.

Yup, I heard that today too.

There is a particular way to build a year in year out Superbowl contender. Which is what I want. Not a flash in the pan, bring in a bunch of FAs make the playoffs and be one and done.

That way is having a structured front office with a football man in charge, have a culture focused on football, and the head coach clearly in charge and the man. Part of that culture is that Clinton Portis does not have a direct line to the owner whenever the coach gets pissed at him.

You then break that team down with lots of young players who are molded by that coach and that coaching staff into a long term winning team. You build off that core of players.

Which is what the Colts and Patriots have done, and what now it looks like the Giants are doing as well as the Saints

You're bananas if you think it isn't going to take a rebuilding process to make this team relevant again.

Bill Walsh couldn't turn this team into a SB contender, and I'm not one of those gloom and doom fools that predict the sky is falling all the time. There are serious concerns with depth, talent, and money structure on this team, and it WILL take a few years to make us good again.

If you want immediate production, a very good coach might make us a wildcard contender. If that's what you want, then that's great. If we want a Super Bowl contender, we're going to need a couple bad years and an infusion of drafted talent.

The next coach, whoever it is, is not going to be able to produce with the junk currently on this team.

As previous posts have said, if it's done right -- hire a real GM (football person) to run the team, and then conduct a coach search, I'll be extremely happy and patient.

It will take time for good football people to rebuild the team. Rebuilding just isn't going to happen with the current status quo, however (i.e., Snyderato running the show).

Just thought I'd throw this question out there:

Despite all the media rumblings and supposed sightings of Redskins One at airports in Denver and Tampa, do you think Zorn is 100 percent done here?

Lets say this team regroups somewhat and, while not necessarily making the playoffs, finishes in the 7-9 to 8-8 range.

Would you buy him coming back for a third year? Or has last season's collapse and the dubious start to this season been enough for you?

Yup, I heard that today too.

There is a particular way to build a year in year out Superbowl contender. Which is what I want. Not a flash in the pan, bring in a bunch of FAs make the playoffs and be one and done.

That way is having a structured front office with a football man in charge, have a culture focused on football, and the head coach clearly in charge and the man. Part of that culture is that Clinton Portis does not have a direct line to the owner whenever the coach gets pissed at him.

You then break that team down with lots of young players who are molded by that coach and that coaching staff into a long term winning team. You build off that core of players.

Which is what the Colts and Patriots have done, and what now it looks like the Giants are doing as well as the Saints

Talk about going through a hard time, The Saints were almost winless and had to deal with Katrina, all without having a homefield. I agree, what did Jack Kent Cooke say to fans when they were calling for Gibbs balls on the platter after a bad start,................ "patience". I am not sure Snyder will ever have the patience, especially if he has Vinny around.

Despite all the media rumblings and supposed sightings of Redskins One at airports in Denver and Tampa, do you think Zorn is 100 percent done here?

Lets say this team regroups somewhat and, while not necessarily making the playoffs, finishes in the 7-9 to 8-8 range.

Would you buy him coming back for a third year? Or has last season's collapse and the dubious start to this season been enough for you?

Why would he want to come back?

Why would any coach want to coach the Skins in the current structure?

I am willing to give whoever the new coach is time. I for one think it would be foolish to expect things to immediately turn around just by bringing in a new coach, no matter who that coach is. Unless the talent improves it will be a struggle for any coach to achieve much more than 8-8 next year IMO. While it may be frustrating, I am willing to go through those struggles as long as the team is being constructed with a more proactive, long term approach and shows progression. That would be much more palatable than the reactive, impatient, short term approach of thinking the team is only a few FAs and a new coach away that we have been subjected to.

No point. Personally I like Zorn, but he has been so emasculated here that he should go find something else to do if he has any pride.

He isn't a head coach. He is just a guy with a head set right now

And this is what I want. Perhaps it came off a bit awkward in my OP.

I don't want ES, Redskins Nation, whatever you want to call it when we hire Mike Shanahan or John Gruden or whoever Snyder puts in there to get super excited. I don't want us to get super excited when we win the offseason Super Bowl again.

I'm not ready to give in to Snyder when we have a "well established" coach leading our team. I want to see results. It would be better if those results are on the scoreboard, but I won't be upset if those results aren't things that stats can prove.

And this is what I want. Perhaps it came off a bit awkward in my OP.

I don't want ES, Redskins Nation, whatever you want to call it when we hire Mike Shanahan or John Gruden or whoever Snyder puts in there to get super excited. I don't want us to get super excited when we win the offseason Super Bowl again.

I'm not ready to give in to Snyder when we have a "well established" coach leading our team. I want to see results. It would be better if those results are on the scoreboard, but I won't be upset if those results aren't things that stats can prove.

Here is what I do know

If its Snyderatto leading the team the excitment level will be 0, even if somehow its Vince Lombardi leading the team.

If its the same FO structure nobody is going to buy the BS.

If there is a GM in place and a clear organizational plan with draft picks and young players, people will have patience with the next head coach.

We want a year in year out Superbowl contender. It'll take time to re-build. I will be excited if I see that process started

At this point I think Redskins Nation is at the point where they, in the words of the Who, "won't get fooled again."

After Snyder made the big production about arriving on Jim Zorn after the supposed exhaustive 30+ day search, I would think the guy has a lot of credibility riding on Zorn. What will firing Zorn after two years say about Snyder's ability to evaluate coaching talent?

To me, it would be a clear indication to get the hell out of the way.

I find the OP the be very shortsighted is its overall theme.

As SHF has already stated, building a true contender takes time. So rarely do the pieces fall perfectly into place that it's asinine to expect, and even more inane to demand, such results.

The entire front office structure, coaching structure and culture of our team needs to change, as does most of the roster. Its a process requires patience, and persistence. Us demanding immediate results are part of what has gotten us into the rut we're currently in. Every year we demand the pinnacle of success, but we don't want to put in the time needed to give us continued success.

The next coach, whoever it is, is not going to be able to produce with the junk currently on this team.

As previous posts have said, if it's done right -- hire a real GM (football person) to run the team, and then conduct a coach search, I'll be extremely happy and patient.

It will take time for good football people to rebuild the team. Rebuilding just isn't going to happen with the current status quo, however (i.e., Snyderato running the show).

I agree completely. I don't understand why some folks think that a new coach will come in, spread magic dust and make the team an instant winner, or even instantly respectale.

As SHF has already stated, building a true contender takes time. Very rarely do the pieces fall perfectly into place that it's asinine to expect, and even more inane to demand, such results.

People point to the overnight success jobs the Dolphins and Falcons were. While both teams are decent now, I still don't see them as SB contenders. Maybe in 2 years, which is what I'm hoping we can do with a legitimate FO structure and coach.

If we can somehow make the jump to a probably 5 wins this year to 10-11 wins next year, that's great, but I want to be the kind of team that is a legitimate contender for a title every year, like Indianapolis. Obviously having a HOF QB helps them, but people don't realize how well they draft. I can't remember the last time they signed a significant FA. They basically have most of their guys playing off their rookie deals, which is very efficient if you can draft well.

I say we go kidnap Bill Polian. Who's with me?! Or at least give his son, Chris, the GM job. ;)

Archived