Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsline: Jet sign Robertson

thinker

His deal makes Coles look almost tiny. Great idea.....blow off the proven young player for the DT with 5 sacks last year.

Seven-year deal is reached

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Despite a slow start to negotiations, and a lack of urgency until the last few days, the New York Jets on Sunday afternoon officially signed first-round draft pick Dewayne Robertson to a seven-year contract.

The deal was agreed to in principle Saturday evening, as reported by ESPN.com, and the two sides completed some fine-tuning on Sunday morning. The contract can be worth as much as $54 million, league sources said, and the initial signing bonus and second-tier option bonus total $13 million.

The majority of the $13 million is delivered in the option bonus, but the $13 million paid to the former University of Kentucky defensive tackle, who was the fourth player chosen overall in the draft, represents the largest total bonus in franchise history.

Unlike many first-round deals in recent years, the contract does not include any voidable elements, and is a straight, seven-year deal.

The fourth overall choice in the 2002 draft, Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Mike Williams, signed a contract that, according to NFL Players Association figures, could be worth as much as $44 million over six years. That deal included an original signing bonus and two subsequent options bonuses that totals $11.75 million.

So much did the Jets covet Robertson, one of the hottest prospects in the draft in the days preceding the lottery, that they dealt a pair of first-round choices to the Chicago Bears to secure the fourth overall slot.

At the time the Jets drafted Robertson, he was expected to help form a three-player tackle rotation that was to have included veteran starters Josh Evans and Jason Ferguson. But Evans was then dealt an indefinite suspension by league officials for a repeat violation of the substance abuse policy, and Robertson could now find himself a starter.

"We moved up in the draft to reinforce our defense, especially in the areas of stopping the run and (improving) the pass rush," said Jets general manager Terry Bradway. "We expect Dewayne to contribute significantly in both those areas."

New York earlier this week signed unrestricted free agent Chester McGlockton to add to the tackle mix, but the 11-year veteran is out of shape and will need several weeks to get himself into condition. McGlockton is not expected to participate in any drills for at least the first two weeks of training camp.

The Jets' first practice is scheduled for Monday morning.

"I can't wait," said Robertson, who attended a Sunday evening team meeting. "This is something that, when you start playing football seriously, you dream about. It's almost here for me now. There's a little bit of nerves involved but, I'm sure once I get out onto the field, that will pass."

Until the last two days, it did not appear there was any chance that Robertson would be in camp on time and on the field for the initial workout. In fact, the Jets privately conceded he would likely not be signed until the team returned from the annual "American Bowl" game in Tokyo on Aug. 2.

But agent Hadley Engelhard, who did not receive the first formal offer from the Jets until Tuesday, flew to New York on Thursday in hopes of striking a deal. He huddled with Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum, one of the NFL's premier cap experts, late into the night Friday, then the two men resumed negotiations on Saturday morning.

Robertson, 21, is regarded by most scouts as the prototype tackle for the way the position is now played. He possesses size and strength but, more important, great quickness and the ability to get into the backfield and be disruptive. Despite bypassing his senior college season, he is regarded as very polished, and football savvy.

In three seasons at Kentucky, he started in 31 of his 32 appearances, and finished with 114 tackles, 10 ½ sacks, 25 quarterback pressures, three forces fumbles, one recovery, and three pass deflections.

Jets officials announced here Sunday afternoon that the team had signed linebacker Victor Hobson and fullback B.J. Askew, their second- and third-round selections in the draft, respectively, and both former University of Michigan stars. The means that all of the team's draft choices are now under contract.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I dunno. I was excited about him in the early stages of the draft. But as time went on... I became disenchanted. This is a player that flew up the charts based on a few workouts. He was a mid-first rounder at that point.

The stats don't bear out a dominant player worthy of being chosen #4 overall. Not in any of his seasons in college.

The best compliment given to him which seems to have stuck is "Baby Sapp". Yet, in all those very same reports, they say he's known to take plays off and he doesn't have a high motor. Excuse me.. that's what makes Sapp who he is!

I think he'll probably have a decent pro career. I just think with the pressure of being chosen #4 overall with the contract he signed... especially after what the Jets gave up to get him.. it's going to be darn near impossible for him to live up to those expectations. And New York is a tough crowd.

There's been a lot of defensive linemen chosen in the past few years with the top picks... and none have really stuck out. Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown, etc.

Stroud has had a decent career with the Jags. Henderson had a pretty good year last year. But neither has been dominating.

“When you can build your defense in the middle, which is how most good defenses are built, you enhance your defense,” Head Coach Herman Edwards said. “The guy is a unique player, very unique. He is very active and disruptive guy. He stays on his feet and chases the quarterback. He does all the things you ask a guy at that position to do. When you can get a guy like this it helps everyone on your defense. He is a guy we expect to come in here and help us on defense.”

Wr's are a dime a dozen, stud DT are not. :tongue:

Should be a good one Sept. 4th.

Originally posted by thinker

CBS Sportsline reports that the Jets have signed Robertson. No terms out yet. I wonder if he got a bigger bonus than Coles' $13 million?

Before we get too carried away comparing the finances of Robertson's contract to Coles' - we should bear in mind two important points.

1. After trading up, the Jets don't have to pay for their original #22 draft pick. So you either need to (1) subtract the contract Chicago will pay to Grossman from Robertson's total, or (2) simply look at the contract received by #13 pick, Ty Warren --- $6M signing bonus, $13M total and the potential to earn an additional $7M in incentives.

2. We should also recognize that the "up to" value of Robertson's total contract will only be reached if he (AND the Jets team as a whole) hit every single outrageous incentive that his agent included in the deal for 7 years straight - every Pro Bowl, Super Bowl, Defensive Player of the Year, etc, etc. It's tough to guess at the real number that will be paid out - all that's important is that the final price tag will be commensurate with Robertson's contribution on the field.

The Jets FO has received a number of shots on this board for every conceivable reason - not all of it unjustified. But let's be fair on this one - nobody expected the Jets to pull off being one of the first teams with all of their rookies signed on time. The Evans debacle, the absence of signed #3 and #5 slots to assist in the DR signing, and the week early start of camp all made this an unlikely scenario. But in a week Bradway and Tannenbaum delivered McGlockton and Robertson, accompanied by a full class of rookies.

Redemption for a rough offseason? Nope - that can't come until the season is over. But it ain't a bad way to start off camp.

Originally posted by Die Hard

I dunno. I was excited about him in the early stages of the draft. But as time went on... I became disenchanted. This is a player that flew up the charts based on a few workouts. He was a mid-first rounder at that point.

I think people may tend to misinterpret the effect of Robertson's eye-popping workout numbers on his draft status. Scouts will always be enamored with strong numbers. But workout warriors like Mamula have hung a cloud over the combines, and the numbers players put up will forever be viewed with skepticism as a reliable indicator of future pro success (though as Suggs showed, poor numbers can still bite you).

In this case, DR didn't become the #1 rated DT because he can run 40 yards in a straight line quickly (though 4.48 at 320 pounds is unnatural). Robertson initially lagged behind the other DTs because he was an unexpected draft entry as a junior. At the time he declared, his latest season at KY, a low-publicity school, hadn't yet been put under the microscope. Nobody was bold enough at that time to rank him over the likes of Kennedy. But come mid-March, Robertson was already starting to crack the top 10 in draft circles. After the 40-time, scouts were calling DR in for individual workouts, scouring the archives for game film, and interviewing as many background checks as possible. By the time draft day rolled around and the full analysis was completed by all teams, the ultimate consensus was virtually unanimous.

The stats don't bear out a dominant player worthy of being chosen #4 overall. Not in any of his seasons in college.

If history had proved that NCAA statistics translate well to the NFL level, we'd have seen Outland Trophy winning DT Rien Long picked #4 instead of #126. Constant double-teams on a junior DT playing on a team with no other defensive weapons will keep your stats in check. It's a tricky science of projection of potential, with stats playing a marginal role in the equation. In reaching their conclusion that Robertson was the best defensive player in the 2003 draft, scouts presumably shared this view.

The best compliment given to him which seems to have stuck is "Baby Sapp". Yet, in all those very same reports, they say he's known to take plays off and he doesn't have a high motor. Excuse me.. that's what makes Sapp who he is!

I have yet to see DR's motor called into question - actually, almost all of what I've read emphasizes this as a positive aspect of his game. As for the premature Sapp comparisons, Sapp himself can be blamed for some of the hype. I would think Sapp's ego would cause him to view with healthy skepticism a college junior to which he was compared. But after reviewing game tape, Sapp raved to the press about DR's potential.

I think he'll probably have a decent pro career. I just think with the pressure of being chosen #4 overall with the contract he signed... especially after what the Jets gave up to get him.. it's going to be darn near impossible for him to live up to those expectations. And New York is a tough crowd.

There's been a lot of defensive linemen chosen in the past few years with the top picks... and none have really stuck out. Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown, etc. Stroud has had a decent career with the Jags. Henderson had a pretty good year last year. But neither has been dominating.

I respect your opinion that Robertson may not have been worthy of the #4 selection - it sounds like you kept tabs on him from early on. I too was nervous about the sudden surge of interest in DR. But after he was picked, I grew more comfortable simply deferring to the consensus of the professional talent evaluators equipped with far greater resources, including personal workouts and game tape. If I saw all that they saw and reached a different conclusion, or hadn't heard many teams later claim that they too ranked DR the #1 DT, I'd be more concerned - but I'm not in that boat.

You point out that many high-ranking DTs have struggled recently. No argument there. But ask yourself how many of those DTs went to solid defensive playoff teams that traded up, rather than to teams that deservedly picked high in the draft because of their poor talent? However Robertson turns out, I have to imagine that his chances of success will be greater than his predecessors just by the presence of a deep and talented surrounding cast of Abraham, Ellis, Ferguson, McGlockton, 1st rounder Thomas, hopefully Evans after week 8 -- as well as Cottrell's tutelage.

I can't help but look at how NE's DT picked 6th in 2001 fared with some help from Belichick's patchwork but effective D. Richard Seymour was a Pro Bowler in his second season. Again, there are no true locks in the draft and all the Jets can do is hope for the best from Robertson. But, IMO, there's some good reason for hope in this case.

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2003/04/25/sp042503s400904.htm

I would like to offer into evidence the following thread concerning an earlier conversation about Robertson's possible pay scale.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26637&perpage=15&display=&highlight=Robertson%20signing%20bonus&pagenumber=3

Seems someone knew what Robertson would or could be paid and someone else didn't know what Robertson would or could be paid. :)

Originally posted by Art

I would like to offer into evidence the following thread concerning an earlier conversation about Robertson's possible pay scale.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26637&perpage=15&display=&highlight=Robertson%20signing%20bonus&pagenumber=3

Seems someone knew what Robertson would or could be paid and someone else didn't know what Robertson would or could be paid. :)

Outstanding

The best part is, "The Jets FO has received a number of shots on this board for every conceivable reason - not all of it unjustified. But let's be fair on this one - nobody expected the Jets to pull off being one of the first teams with all of their rookies signed on time."

In fact, that's not true. That May 2 thread indicates the prediction that the Jets have to act quickly and decisively to mend their offseason. The Jets have to send a signal that they are not just sitting still and signing Robertson to a quick, large contract is what they have to do to prove to their fans and their players that they aren't a second-class organization they had been treated like this offseason.

Originally posted by Art

I revisited that interesting thread speculating about Robertson's bonus. At that time, I said that Robertson would receive $12M while you speculated he could exceed Coles - a $1M difference. The number landed on $13M - however, DR's first payment is reportedly $3M compared to Williams first payment of $7.5M, and DR signed a seven year deal (there are still conflicting reports as to the voidability of the last year), compared to William's six years. Had you predicted these important contractual parameters, that would've been impressive - but of course, if you had, you would've also had to bump your prediction up to at least $14M to account for the back-loading and extension. So who was closer?

That was a fun walk down memory lane though. ;)

Originally posted by Art

The best part is, "The Jets FO has received a number of shots on this board for every conceivable reason - not all of it unjustified. But let's be fair on this one - nobody expected the Jets to pull off being one of the first teams with all of their rookies signed on time."

In fact, that's not true.

I could've sworn I saw at least two recent threads on this board posted with no reason other than to gloat at the anticipation of a holdout by Robertson. As 1st-round negotiations around the league had stalled, the consensus passed off by Pastabelly and other "experts" around the league was that there was no chance he'd be in camp on time and would miss the game in Tokyo.

It seems this unexpected good news has really caused you to bristle. I don't think your credibility as chief spokesman for the Anti-Bradway Foundation would be compromised one bit by tipping your cap at this latest news. However, it does seem to take a hit when you search for ways to undermine this positive development.

I have said all along his contract will be similiar to cole's. Now it will be interesting to see the Jets keep the other players, since they did say they couldn't sign Coles because they didn't have the money. I am happy they signed their draft pick, but not because they have been lying all along.

Archived