Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations About the Secondary On Sunday

SkinsTribeVA

I noticed some interesting things being done with the secondary in the Bucs game Sunday:

-I know we occasionally get three safeties on the field with the "Cobra" formation and such, but I noticed three safeties on the field an unusual number of times.

-Kareem Moore seemed to see the field more often than he has in other regular season games.

-Landry was playing SS, much closer to the LOS, on several plays with Moore or Horton behind him (remember that play where Landry blitzed, turned out it was a draw, and Landry tackled the RB from behind? I believe that was one of these plays).

-On one play Landry was lined up at CB. I kid you not. We were backed up in our red zone, the play got flagged before the snap for a false start or something along those lines, and I didn't see it happen again.

I'm just wondering if anybody else noticed them shaking things up and had any insights.

*Please don't turn this into another thread just complaining about Landry.

I know we are talking about fomrations in all, but did anyone notice how miserable our defensive players looked?

I think Orakpo was the only one giving High Fives and getting excited. I remember one play where he went to high five big Al and nothing... I was pretty disappointed.

I noticed this as well (directed at the OP, not the one above mine), though I was particularly livid at Kareem Moore on that one running play towards the end of the game that Cadillac Williams gained like 13 yards to make it 1st and Goal for the Bucs when they we're down 16-10. Kareem for no apparent reason starts back-pedaling away from the gaping hole Williams ran through... I think he thought it was a play action fake or something and had he played it right he would've filled the hole easily. It was bad though because he took way too long to realize Cadillac had the ball and allowed to run right by him.

That being said, I like Kareem Moore. Think he can be a real good safety for us, lol. :)

I am not sure Landry was supposed to be lined up at CB on that play. The way I saw it was Landry noticed an unmarked receiver on the line, he then tried to alert someone as he was motioning and yelling. When nobody stepped up to cover the man he did, or else it would have been an easy TD. I could be totally wrong, but that is how I saw it. Maybe he was just barking orders out prior to lining up in his assigned position, but he seemed to be in a bit of a panic about the situation, which led me to believe this wasn't his assignment. Too bad I erased the game from my dvr or I could go back and look at it again.

Wait, Greg "4-3 Cover Zone" Blache did something creative?

Haynesworth was lined up at end a few times, which was very interesting.

As for the thread, though, I also noticed a lot of usage of 3-safeties, and very interesting use of the safeties. Unfortunately, at least once I saw 5 or 6 DBs (including 3 safeties), and a 20 yard pass was completed. But I did like some of the creativity.

On the early post about the Defense not being very excited , I did notice that CP was extremely fired up and jumping around more than normal.

Also Zorn seemed pretty pumped up and active before the game

(i know this doesn't apply to the thread)

my favorite play of the day was the tryon corner blitz. reminded me of something out of 05 when williams was still dialing up crazy blitzes.

hopefully blaches start incorporating more stuff like this into our secondary. if tryon is gonna struggle in coverage, then put him on the field and use his speed to get to the QB. plus he seems like he can tackle pretty well.

I don't have any concerns about the secondary. We're ranked top 5 in pass defense

Agreed.

And on that note, I really like Doughty in that crazy lights out blitz role. So much so I added him as my starter on fantasy. I think the guys going to be better than hes ever been.

my favorite play of the day was the tryon corner blitz. reminded me of something out of 05 when williams was still dialing up crazy blitzes.

hopefully blaches start incorporating more stuff like this into our secondary. if tryon is gonna struggle in coverage, then put him on the field and use his speed to get to the QB. plus he seems like he can tackle pretty well.

I think Tryon's actually decent in coverage.

I read somewhere he's been playing well covering guys in the slot, and he saw a lot of action in place of Smoot last Sunday.

That was a great blitz though. If it completely surprised us watching it at home, you know it surprised Josh Johnson and the rest of the Bucs' offense. Nobody would have thought Blache would actually use something creative like that.

I think Tryon's actually decent in coverage.

I read somewhere he's been playing well covering guys in the slot, and he saw a lot of action in place of Smoot last Sunday.

That was a great blitz though. If it completely surprised us watching it at home, you know it surprised Josh Johnson and the rest of the Bucs' offense. Nobody would have thought Blache would actually use something creative like that.

he got beaten like a drum in the preseason and i havent seen a lot of him since. but the kid is fast and seems like he can tackle, so if were gonna have him running nickel and dime blitzes, bring it on.

the slot was where he was having trouble in the preseason, but maybe hes corrected. honestly i havent seen enough of him to make a full judgment, but the PS game left a bad taste in my mouth. so maybe hes redeeming himself. a sweet blitz/sack like that definitely helped.

itd be nice if this kid can step up. we need more youngsters stepping up. rinehart is next on the "hopes he steps up" list.

he got beaten like a drum in the preseason and i havent seen a lot of him since. but the kid is fast and seems like he can tackle, so if were gonna have him running nickel and dime blitzes, bring it on.

the slot was where he was having trouble in the preseason, but maybe hes corrected. honestly i havent seen enough of him to make a full judgment, but the PS game left a bad taste in my mouth. so maybe hes redeeming himself. a sweet blitz/sack like that definitely helped.

itd be nice if this kid can step up. we need more youngsters stepping up. rinehart is next on the "hopes he steps up" list.

The agenda-boyz never see anything positive with the Skins...

I know we are talking about fomrations in all, but did anyone notice how miserable our defensive players looked?

I think Orakpo was the only one giving High Fives and getting excited. I remember one play where he went to high five big Al and nothing... I was pretty disappointed.

ya that stuff pisses me off, were not much of a team...guys need to feed off each other more...winning teams do it.

Well, he's been playing well as in, "better than when he plays on the outside against #1 or #2 guys." At least that was how the article presented it. One of those Washington Examiner kind of quickies I saw in the Breaking News Section.

He was playing in place of Smoot, who was healthy enough to go I'm pretty sure, and a lot of the bigger plays he gave up in preseason were on the outside when Rogers wasn't playing and after they took out Hall, so it would be Smoot/Tryon/Barnes as the corners.

He is a very good tackler though, probably another part of that special teams work that Gray was referencing. Wrapping up as well as he did against Johnson was big time.

Archived