Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First Skins game Oct 4th - Need Transit Advice

Rocket442Olds

Well, after 20 years of being a skins fan I'm finally flying down to DC and going to be going to my first redskins game on Oct. 4th against the Bucs.

I'll be staying in Crystal City (My wife interned for the Washington Business Journal a couple years ago so she knows that area) but we're not sure when and how the best way to get to FedEx from that area is.

We don't have a rental car down there, just going to use the subway and our legs to get around, so I figure the subway is the easiest way (and most affordable) to get to the stadium?

I'm not sure if leaving early is better to avoid the crowds, or what the best bet is in terms of getting there. any advice is appreciated.

Ok thanks guys.

Any other things I should do while down there (from friday to monday) like places to eat. We're going to do some of the Smithsonians and that, but some less touristy stuff, or just good places to visit?

If you like really good chinese food (thats all it is) take the Metro to the Verizon Center/Chinatown stop, and look for the big Chinese arches across the roadway .. about 3 doors down from there is a place called Tony Chengs Mongolian BBQ, not the upstairs part but the downstairs part.. you will thank me later if you do like good chinese food :)

They have a big wok type grill surrounded by fresh meats and veggies that you put in your own bowl, then hand it to the chefs behind the counter to cook for you right there.. damn cant wait to goto a few Capitals games this year so i can eat there :D

Good for you, finally getting out to a game. a couple years ago, I stayed at the Embassy suites and had no parking pass for the game, so I rode the metro. I got there...that's about all. If you don't have a car or a parking pass, it's just about the only option. Here are the drawbacks though,

1-You have to ride all the way into the District from a suburb. Then you have to transfer, depending on the line you get on, and ride all the way back out to another suburb. It takes a long, long time. (you can go to the metro website for an exact trip planner)

2- You get to the Morgan Blvd station and you have to walk about a mile. Literally. Not that it seems like a mile...it is. This isn't bad except for the fact you've just been riding the metro forever, and you're ready to be there. You will have plenty of company on the walk to the stadium from fellow fans, though.

3- You're limited on how much alcohol you can bring. You have to carry it all with you in something you can dispose of before entering the stadium, plus carrying it for a mile.

4. You have to walk BACK to the Metro after the game...then take the long Metro ride back to Crystal City. I have to say though that I attended a 1:00 game and returned to the Embassy Suites in time to catch the evening free drink hour and got my buzz back pretty well.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

Get on at crystal city or Pentagon City (yellow line) and take that to L'efant Plaza and switch to the blue line there

From there get off at the 2nd to last stop (Morgan Blvd)

Its not that far of a ride, i would say 30 minutes, give or take, but surely it will be longer going back with everyone leaving at once.

Gallery Place/Chinatown is where Tony Chengs is , which is TWO stops past L'efant Plaza on the yellow line

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/restaurants/tony-chengs-seafood-restaurant-and-mongolian-barbecue,791714.html

Ok thanks guys.

Any other things I should do while down there (from friday to monday) like places to eat. We're going to do some of the Smithsonians and that, but some less touristy stuff, or just good places to visit?

Go to Ruth Chris Steak House in Crystal City. It's amazing. Go to the National Aquarium, it's free and underneath the Chamber of Commerce building.

Federal Triangle Metro.

Get on at crystal city or Pentagon City (yellow line) and take that to L'efant Plaza and switch to the blue line there

That's what I did, but I think I screwed up. It makes sense on the map, but trains, at least on Sunday mornings don't line up. It actually makes it longer than taking the blue line all over the city. The timing for transfers is so bad that if you start from a Yellow line only station like Eisenhower Road, the trip planner tells you to take a bus to the blue line Metro station and catch a train.

Just type in your departure time into the trip planner on the Metro website to find exactly when the trains will be leaving. That's half of the hassle right there, waiting 15 minutes on the platform not knowing when the train will come. It looks like about 45 minutes from the Pentagon station.

Archived