Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBA Star Delonte West Arrested

TheismannQuote

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4485441

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West was arrested Thursday after officers pulled him over for speeding on a motorcycle while carrying two loaded handguns and a loaded shotgun in a guitar case.

Prince George's County police spokeswoman Sgt. Michelle Reedy said Friday the Cleveland Cavaliers player was arrested about 10 p.m. Thursday.

Reedy said West was riding a Can-Am Spyder motorcycle north on the Capital Beltway in Upper Marlboro when he cut off an officer, who pulled him over.

Police said a handgun was found in his pocket, another in his pant leg and a shotgun in a guitar case strapped to his back.

Reedy said West "was very cooperative, there were no issues" during the incident.

The 26-year-old West, who lives in Brandywine, was charged with speeding and weapons counts. It is illegal to carry concealed weapons and to transport loaded guns in Maryland, according to police. Reedy said West was released on his own recognizance early Friday.

....Last year, West left the Cavaliers' training camp to seek treatment for depression and a "mood disorder" he said he has battled his entire life. At the time, he said he was taking medication and attending therapy sessions. West said his mood problems date to his childhood.

So everyone that has ever watched a Cavs game knew this was going to happen at some point. I mean, I specifically remember numerous times thinking to myself, "Wow this kid is thug-ish!"

Simple mathematics my friend. 15x30=450. 53x32=1696. More players, more opportunities.

I realize this. But still, I don't think the rate isn't the same. You got one or two NBA players getting arrested here and there for dumb **** and you got half a dozen NFL players getting put in prison or shot at every year. Hell you got players involved in shootings AT the NBA All Star game. Not NBA players. NFL players.

Three NFL players will have been in prison just this year. High profile players too. The biggest embarrassment to the NBA is Marbury (who isn't a criminal, just out of his ****ing mind and actually gives a lot back to his community) and Ron Artest who has stayed out of trouble for awhile now.

I would love to see the stats on this but I can't find anything either. My beef is just with the idea that the NBA is a thug league. That's some bull**** from the late 90's when Isiah Rider and co were in the league and from the Ron Artest mess in Detroit. As soon as I saw this thread I knew I was going to open it and see someone making a comment like that. It's nonsense.

BTW, here's the West GF story I mentioned earlier:

Delonte West Get's Choked & Beat Up By Ex Girlfriend

Thursday, February 22, 2007 - Updated: 02:10 AM EST

A night of post-game partying turned ugly for Boston Celtics [team stats] point guard Delonte West when his live-in girlfriend allegedly choked and bit him and tried to slash her own wrists with shards of glass because he dumped her.

West’s girlfriend, Caryn Taylor, skipped court yesterday where she was supposed to have been arraigned on domestic assault and battery charges for the Dec. 21, 2006, alleged attack in the couple’s Waltham apartment. A warrant for her arrest was issued, authorities said.

The mayhem began after the Green lost to the Golden State Warriors at the TD Banknorth Garden when Taylor, 31, got into an argument with West’s sister, Danielle. Taylor, who had a “few ****tails” at the game, “pushed” Danielle West during the dispute, according to a police report.

The group hit downtown hotspot District after the game where Delonte West confronted Taylor about the fight with his sister.

“During this conversation West stated that Taylor became argumentative and put her hands around his throat in a choking manner,” the report states.

West, 23, told Taylor “their relationship was over,” and she left the club, telling him she was going to stay at a hotel and would be moving out of their apartment the next day.

But when West, his sister and some friends returned to the apartment around 2:30 a.m., Taylor was there and she started yelling at him, reportedly calling him a “(expletive) ****.” West told cops that she went upstairs to the bathroom, slammed the door and started smashing glass.

West, 23, went into the bathroom and found her covered in blood and jabbing at her wrists with shards of glass. Taylor bit West on the hand as he tried to stop her from slashing herself, the report states.

West’s sister called 911 and police took Taylor to Newton Wellesely Hospital where she was treated for “superficial” wounds to both wrists, police said.

Taylor told police she wasn’t trying to kill herself but was cutting herself to show West she wasn’t “(expletive) around” about their relationship. She said she was angry because West’s friends and family had been staying with them and were “picking on her.”

A phone number for Taylor could not be found and court papers obtained by the Herald did not list an attorney for her. A spokesman for Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone declined comment.

P.S. West is the fugliest mofo in the history of professional sports.

Archived