Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: playcalling still a work in progress

themurf

This has been the best post all week. With real stats about the game and numbers that support the breakdown in play calling vs execution.

I agree with ChillSkinzFan84. The play calling has not brought out strengths, offensively and defensively. I know we have to keep a balanced attack, but we have to dictate some sort of plan from the result of what the opposing defense gives us. If they have our number on the running game, go to the passing game to open up the running game. If they have our number on the passing game, then use the running game to open up to the passing game later on. We can't just FORCE a play with any disregard to the defense.

Execution may be key, but it's a lot harder to execute when somebody is already two steps ahead of you. And execution is expected out of our players, but i also expect our Coaches to execute a gameplan that counters their opposing offense/defense schemes.

Still does not relieve Zorn from a bad call in the first game of the season.

A good call is a good call whether it works or not. A bad call is a bad call whether it works or not.

If the that call had gone for a TD and the Redskins had won, everyone would have been talking about Zorn's genius as a play caller.

I disagree with the idea of trying to balance the pass and run also, but I hasten to point out that the man who many in the NFL say is the best play caller does the same thing -- Norv Turner. The idea is to keep the defense honest.

I though our coaches offense and defense lost the Giants game.

It just seems like we lack a game plan. We just pull plays out of a hat. Like the WR screen to Moss on their 5. That is a short field all the D packed in; a tough play for a guy with no break tackle. Then on our own 5, vs. a depleted secondary, we run run run, even though they had 95 yds of field to cover. Sure we were worried about their fabled pass rush, but we can just loft a fade. Limiting ourselves and our game plan, we never go hurry up. Rarely shotgun. Acquire all this size at WR but then in goal to go we have Moss AND ARE on the field.

I think a solid plan would have been built around attacking the depleted secondary. Our offensive line healthy and strong, ready to pass protect. If not, throw more of the quick stuff. Fades, use shotgun or hurry up.

What was Zorn's game plan?

you kinda hit the nail on the head. Are you available for head coaching? Honestly, if I was appointed head coach and wanted to bet on the other team and lose the game, I would have run thos eexact same plays that Zorn ran. screen pass on the 5? run run run punt inside my own 3 yard line?

I would have placed about a hundred thousand dollars on the other team running plays like that. You nailed it.

In the game in Dallas back in 2007, the cowboys loaded up the box to make sure CP couldn't do much, and they were successful at that. They stuck with that pretty much the whole game; we were thus forced to pass, and were able to move the ball pretty much at will. No matter how many times we burnt them through the air, they kept their priority to stop CP. In this scenario, I wouldn't call it "abandoning the run." I'd call it "taking what the D is giving you."

As simple as this sounds, I think Zorn needs to adjust is play calling and game plan based on the opponent at hand.

that's it man ... that's it.

i'll never forget seeing the Pats come out in a game during their 16-0 run, on one drive they got stopped after passing 3 times out of shotgun ... on the very next drive, 3TE formation and pound the ball ...they loosened up the D, eventually went back to the shotgun, and went 60 plus yards in 4 min.

it was so simple , you go into a passing formation, we run, you stack the box we pass.

We lost a fumble for a TD, threw an interception on an illegal pass, missed an open receiver on a deep ball, let a defender race in unblocked and crush our RB for -6, audibled into a run on 3rd and 8, and took a sack on an option play. These were just a few big plays on offense that were horribly executed and cost us lots of yards, points, and potentially the game. Notice that these were player miscues, not necessarily play calling miscues. Well, except maybe the audible, but I don't think Zorn called that one.

Do you see any correlation in each of those plays? Jason was under center and not in the shotgun on all of them. Not saying its an excuse because he cant be in the shotgun all of the time but just that he feels that much more comfortable out of the shotgun.

If you are playing Madden, and you have called a power left run 4 times, and three out of four times they stuff you, do you call it a fifth time? If you do call it, and see that 8 are in the box, do you audible out? If you stick with that play, you are the guy I want to play against. Not only are you predictable, but you are easy to beat. Enter the play calling of Head Coach Jim Zorn.

It's even worse than the Madden comparison. It's more like Tecmo Bowl where the offense only has 4 choices and your on defense against the Raiders. You know that the Bo Jackson play is the only one that can beat you so you defend against that one every play, right?

Zorn doesn't even challenge the defense at all. Why not just pick that run play to defend against when they run it 50% of the time and their RB is the only legit weapon being used in the game?

how many of u think it was a great idea thatthe redki ns drafted FRed Davis in the second round so he could just block on fake field goals. and whaddya call that positiion.??

Well obviously the Redskins did not draft Fred Davis to block on field goa attemtps but then who drafted him? I would suggest that Cerrato and Snyder were in favor of drafting Davis in thinking about a 2 tight end set since Cooley was our most effective receiver why not draft another Cooley. Kind of like double trouble.

Therefore, its probably irking upper management that Zorn is utilizing that number 2 pick on just blocking assignments. Just another nail in Zorns coffin and as many have suggested, this will be Zorn's final season.

how many of u think it was a great idea thatthe redki ns drafted FRed Davis in the second round so he could just block on fake field goals. and whaddya call that positiion.??

Can't speak for others. For me, it's obviously too soon to close the book on the Davis pick.

Therefore, its probably irking upper management that Zorn is utilizing that number 2 pick on just blocking assignments. Just another nail in Zorns coffin and as many have suggested, this will be Zorn's final season.

If Dan Snyder is only half as impatient as the fans, Zorn is in deep trouble.

If Dan Snyder is only half as impatient as the fans, Zorn is in deep trouble.

Avg coaching tenure in the nfl is 2.5 years. Zorn if fired at the end of the season would fall right into the avg.

Any coach that starts 6-2 including big road wins in the nfc east and than finishes 2-6 with loses to the Rams, Bengals and 49ers should be on the bubble.

He was lucky to make it past the first season. Our team collapsed. That falls on the coaches. Now the media and many fans are seeing that a team that started 6-2 and had a qb being mentioned as a mvp at mid season has collapsed tot he point all we do is run left Zorn is obviously the top of the list of those responsible.

So go ahead and say we are hard on Zorn. 2-7 last 9 games and couldn't beat the rams, bengals and 49ers.

Cause we look just like a team that hired a qb coach to be our HC. Just another joke in a line of coaches that has led us to being mediocre.

There is a reason Zorn was a QB coach and not a OC or HC. What it would be like if we had a real head coach. One that knows we play to win the game. If we have to run it 40 times we run it 40 times. If we have to throw it 50 times we throw it 50 times. But we get the win.

A long time fan can dream

Avg coaching tenure in the nfl is 2.5 years. Zorn if fired at the end of the season would fall right into the avg.

Any coach that starts 6-2 including big road wins in the nfc east and than finishes 2-6 with loses to the Rams, Bengals and 49ers should be on the bubble.

He was lucky to make it past the first season. Our team collapsed. That falls on the coaches. Now the media and many fans are seeing that a team that started 6-2 and had a qb being mentioned as a mvp at mid season has collapsed tot he point all we do is run left Zorn is obviously the top of the list of those responsible.

So go ahead and say we are hard on Zorn. 2-7 last 9 games and couldn't beat the rams, bengals and 49ers.

Cause we look just like a team that hired a qb coach to be our HC. Just another joke in a line of coaches that has led us to being mediocre.

There is a reason Zorn was a QB coach and not a OC or HC. What it would be like if we had a real head coach. One that knows we play to win the game. If we have to run it 40 times we run it 40 times. If we have to throw it 50 times we throw it 50 times. But we get the win.

A long time fan can dream

I just hope that Dan Snyder takes everything into consideration when grading Zorn and not just the cherry-picked facts and second guessing that make him look bad as you just did.

I also hope that Snyder realizes that none of the "big name" coaches available can cut it, so we might just as well stick with what we have for now.

What really sucks about the Davis pick is that Bennett and Finley who were taking after Davis are already producing and look like they could be stars. :(

oh the frustration of watching our wasted draft picks?

I had visions of a 2 tight end set with Davis driving coordinators crazy double covering Cooley. I never imagined Davis was drafted in the 2nd round to block.

I had visions of Brian Orakpo playing defensive end and bringing the heat on Eli Manning on pass plays. I never imagined Orakpo running downfield on 3rd and 8 attempting to make sure Joe Smith the tight end would not catch a deep ball. HUH? Does this coaching staff have a clue?

oh the frustration of watching our wasted draft picks?

I had visions of a 2 tight end set with Davis driving coordinators crazy double covering Cooley. I never imagined Davis was drafted in the 2nd round to block.

I had visions of Brian Orakpo playing defensive end and bringing the heat on Eli Manning on pass plays. I never imagined Orakpo running downfield on 3rd and 8 attempting to make sure Joe Smith the tight end would not catch a deep ball. HUH? Does this coaching staff have a clue?

Great points, bottom line we have the talent, But the Coaches are not utilizing it.

Yeah man, it seems that our coaching staff rides the short bus to the stadium at times. They get a perfectly good DE pass rusher, supposedly the best of the draft, and they have him playing pass coverage.

Its too early to call Fred Davis a bust. He was the highest rated player on their board so they took him. It was a mistake not to look more for need in the draft, but we'll see how it works out.

Its too early to call Fred Davis a bust. He was the highest rated player on their board so they took him. It was a mistake not to look more for need in the draft, but we'll see how it works out.

But I believe the point that was being made is why does Zorn want to use him only as a blocker. Even on the latest Redskins blog, it states that Zorn is raving about how Davis has improved as a blocker.

If thats all he was drafted for, why didn't they just draft a 300 pound lineman who would do a better job? Davis is a pass catching tight end and the Redskins wasted a 2nd round pick on a BLOCKING tight end. Rediculous.

Archived