Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Junior Seau would consider returning to Patriots

aszumilo

From Associated Press

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jwngqXo7O8p2N2fCUQoImOUgXS0wD9AJCNMG0

NEW YORK — Junior Seau would consider returning to the Patriots if they again come calling this season.

The 40-year-old linebacker told The Associated Press on Tuesday he would sign only with New England because of his familiarity with the team. He's willing to play up to six games — any more would cut too much into his time with his children.

Wow he is willing to play UP TO 6 games for the Patriots. What a guy!

Coincidental that a week after Bruschi retires, Seau comes out of nowhere and says "Hey! I'll play!"

I can't help but feel sorry for the guy though. I've always liked Junior Seau and thought that he was one of those players who really deserved to end his career with a ring.

Comparing Favre to Seau isn't really fair. Yes, Seau reneged on his initial retirement but he never threatened pulled the same kind of bull**** that Favre did (waffling all offseason while still under contract, using retirement as a tool to bounce from team to team while skipping OTAs and the preseason as he sees fit).
Isn't Seau trying to use his retirement to skip OTA's and preseason as he sees fit?

Via Fanhouse...

Junior Seau might soon be taking a page out of Roger Clemens' playbook.

Clemens opted to come out of retirement midway through the 2006 baseball season to sign with Houston, then sat out the early portions of 2007 before joining the Yankees. Seau -- who signed with the Patriots four days after announcing his retirement from San Diego following the 2006 season --thinks he can contribute to New England's Super Bowl aspirations again this season. He just doesn't want to help them out quite yet.

"I have my phone open in November and December for the Pats if they need help," Seau said Thursday on Sirius NFL Radio. "That's about it. I'm not waiting for the call.

"I'm just letting them know that. They understand that if they need any help going further into the postseason or in the midst of December, which is a crucial time. ... I'll be able to look at it and we'll assess that as that happens."

Seau added, "This body can give you six games, but that's about it."

The Patriots might wait to give Seau a buzz later in the season, but they probably could use him immediately. Inside linebacker Jerod Mayo sprained his MCL in Monday's win over Buffalo and could miss several weeks. Without him, New England will have to do some patchwork on defense -- either sliding Gary Guyton permanently to Mayo's spot, though he struggled there against the Bills, or opting to utilize its 4-3 defense more frequently, as opposed to the more linebacker-heavy 3-4. Adelius Thomas might be an option to move inside, as well.

No matter the answer, though, the Patriots are weaker without Mayo. And they could be stronger with Seau -- they'll just have to wait on that boost for a bit.

Archived