Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jury Duty & Class

haithman

So I've been summoned for jury duty in 2 weeks at 8am. The problem is I have class that same day and although I could perhaps miss one day of class I am concerned that the trial could run a couple days and force me to miss a few days of a very important class. Is a college student having class a legit excuse or will they just laugh at me?

If only there was someplace where this and all other sorts of information could be found with the touch of a few buttons.

I had an idea for something like that. Imagine a place where a dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas, and phone book were all in one place. You could call it The Interwoven Network of Information. Or even the Internet for short.

I had an idea for something like that. Imagine a place where a dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas, and phone book were all in one place. You could call it The Interwoven Network of Information. Or even the Internet for short.

Thanks. Your efforts at being a tool have been duly noted.

Thanks to everyone who gave me actual advice. Just came here to get first hand experiences from fellow ES'ers.

As long as you are a full-time student, the courts can't make you do jury duty. You'll have to call and most likely go up to the court house and they'll most likely defer you to another time when you don't have school. If you're a part-time student then you won't be able to get out of jury duty.

So I've been summoned for jury duty in 2 weeks at 8am. The problem is I have class that same day and although I could perhaps miss one day of class I am concerned that the trial could run a couple days and force me to miss a few days of a very important class. Is a college student having class a legit excuse or will they just laugh at me?

its legit.

i got called twice in college, once when i was at winthrop which was 2 hours from where i live and was called to. then once at clemson where i was 30 min from where i was called to.

said i was in college and had classes, yada yada. never got called again while i was in college.

edit: oh and that was writing a letter right after getting the notice. so i never even had to go to say in person why i couldnt serve.

Archived