Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Dallas Cowboys' draft class fares poorly after roster cuts

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/090609dnspocowbriefs.367b977.html

08:30 PM CDT on Saturday, September 5, 2009

By DAVID MOORE

Around the room they went, one by one. By the time the last person spoke, it was clear the receiver wasn't going to make Houston's final roster.

"He caught everything in practice, but he wasn't very fast," remembers Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, who worked for the Oilers back then. "His name was Steve Largent.

"Heard of him?"

It's doubtful a Hall of Fame receiver or future congressman was among the 22 players the Cowboys waived Saturday afternoon. But as the club sliced its roster to one below the 53-man limit – expect the Cowboys to claim a player released by another club soon – there were some interesting developments:

•The Cowboys rookie class has not made the grade.

Three draft picks – safety DeAngelo Smith (fifth round), cornerback Mike Mickens (seventh) and receiver Manuel Johnson (seventh) – were released. A fourth, linebacker Stephen Hodge (sixth), was placed on injured reserve.

Of the 12 players the Cowboys selected in the April draft, linebacker Victor Butler, kicker David Buehler and tight end John Phillips are the only ones healthy enough to play against Tampa Bay on opening day. Stephen McGee missed the last two preseason games because of a sprained knee and will be carried as the third quarterback.

•Dipping below the 53-man limit is an indication that the Cowboys will be active on the waiver wire.

It appears the Cowboys will target a defensive back. They carry only eight on the roster at the moment, and one of them, rookie Michael Hamlin, is out for up to six weeks with a broken wrist.

Evan Oglesby is a possibility. He was one of the Cowboys' final cuts last year and was just waived by Baltimore.

•Free-agent rookie Kevin Ogletree beat out Isaiah Stanback for the fifth receiver spot.

Stanback has wrestled with injuries since the Cowboys took him in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He's also wrestled with the transition from college quarterback to NFL receiver. Ogletree moved past Stanback with a solid off-season that culminated with touchdown receptions in the team's final two preseason games.

Ogletree was forced to leave Friday's win over Minnesota with an eye contusion. In the locker room afterward, he said the injury wasn't serious and that he hoped to be part of the team moving forward.

"Maybe I can do some of these interviews on Monday," Ogletree said.

•Some of the players released will be re-signed and placed on the practice squad starting today.

Cowboys win NFC East: You may have overlooked this as you focused on how the Cowboys would replace Terrell Owens and who would start at right corner.

Phillips did not.

"We won our division in the preseason," Phillips declared after his team's 35-31 win over Minnesota. "We were 2-2, and everybody else was 1-3.

"That was an accomplishment."

Phillips' tongue was planted in his cheek when he made the statement.

Briefly: Receiver Miles Austin had his hamstring tighten up in practice late last week and didn't dress for Friday's preseason finale. "Miles is all right," Phillips said. "He's fine. We took some precautions in practice the other day because his hamstring was a little tight."... Phillips' mind wasn't solely on the Vikings game. "We're ready for Tampa now," he said moments after the win. "Especially the guys who didn't play, they're looking forward to that ballgame right now."

6 draft picks making a team is a pretty decent run, probably more then most teams hit on.

How many picks did the pukes have again?

BTW, when you get rid of half a dozen, there's a good chance half a dozen will stick...

How many picks did the pukes have again?

BTW, when you get rid of half a dozen, there's a good chance half a dozen will stick...

When the Cowboys drafted 12 player it was pretty obvious not all of them were going to stick. Actually if only 3 got cut, that means that 9 are on the roster in some form (thought it may be IR). There weren't many starter positions available so they're doing exactly what they're supposed to, improve special teams and provide depth. Last year Cowboy's ST were abismal, and so far Buehler has moved back oponents average starting field position about 10 yards which should be huge considering Dallas kickoffs last year were ranked 30th.

When the Cowboys drafted 12 player it was pretty obvious not all of them were going to stick. Actually if only 3 got cut, that means that 9 are on the roster in some form (thought it may be IR). There weren't many starter positions available so they're doing exactly what they're supposed to, improve special teams and provide depth. Last year Cowboy's ST were abismal, and so far Buehler has moved back oponents average starting field position about 10 yards which should be huge considering Dallas kickoffs last year were ranked 30th.

Again, how many players did the pukes let go in the off-season.

Don't be coy...

Again, how many players did the pukes let go in the off-season.

Don't be coy...

Compairing the 2008 and 2009 roster I belive the Cowboys are worse at WR, worse at backup NT, better at CB, better at safety, better special teams, better backup QB. I think that even if they'd kept TO he's declining and no longer tallented enough for the offense to be gameplanned around getting him the ball, not to mention the lockeroom and media circus he create. Ellis may be missed, but he'd already lost his starting job. Everywhere else I believe the talent has either improved via experiance, direct upgrade (strong safety) or at worst the replacement is a push (Canty for Igor and Thomas for Brooking).

You of course will disagree with all of that and respond with rolling smileys.

Compairing the 2008 and 2009 roster I belive the Cowboys are worse at WR, worse at backup NT, better at CB, better at safety, better special teams, better backup QB. I think that even if they'd kept TO he's declining and no longer tallented enough for the offense to be gameplanned around getting him the ball, not to mention the lockeroom and media circus he create. Ellis may be missed, but he'd already lost his starting job. Everywhere else I believe the talent has either improved via experiance, direct upgrade (strong safety) or at worst the replacement is a push (Canty for Igor and Thomas for Brooking).

Again, how many vacancies were there on the team?

Again, how many vacancies were there on the team?

Going into this offseason the Cowboy's needed a new SS (Sensabaugh), a replacement DE (Igor), a backup QB (Kitna), LB depth (various draft picks), a backup NT (this one really worries me still), and a WR to push Crayton for the #2 position. They have some depth issues but thats a given in today's NFL, and they've no glaring weakness among their starters (opposed to Giants at WR or Redskins at QB). So roster wise there weren't many vacancies among the starters at all.

They also need Roy Williams to show the productivity he had in Detroit, their 2nd year CBs to continue to build on their vey solid rookie campaigns, improvents to special teams (especially kickoffs, and so far Beuhler is pushing opponents back a good 10+ yards compaired to last year), and not get decimated by injuries like last year.

Gotta love the Oglesby find. Great job JJ. Kid beat the odds to make the roster over a player the team had high hopes for.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah JJ, good work. I don't know how you did it, but you found a guy to replace a former fourth round draft pick with 2 catches in two seasons and who managed to snag 1 whole reception this preseason. You are truly one of the greats at personnel. And don't worry if Cowboys fans can't remember the guy's correct name. I'm sure after he catches ten balls this season people will get it right.

Yeah JJ, good work. I don't know how you did it, but you found a guy to replace a former fourth round draft pick with 2 catches in two seasons and who managed to snag 1 whole reception this preseason. You are truly one of the greats at personnel. And don't worry if Cowboys fans can't remember the guy's correct name. I'm sure after he catches ten balls this season people will get it right.

My bad. They had a former DB named Oglesby and I have confused the names since we brought Ogletree in this season.

Well, it took awhile, but you're telling me six draft picks stuck BECAUSE THERE WERE SIX VACANCIES...not that some vet got pushed out.

You STILL have Barbie on your roster...how good could that draft really have been?

Oh BTW, I hope you start a bunch of those rookies...should be fun.

Kind of puts a damper on the way the Poke fans spin all the trading down that Jerrah does. When it happens they crow about how sweet it is to get the extra picks and then when they get cut all of a sudden the picks weren't needed anyway.

Our top two picks were hurt.

Williams was showing very good signs of being a player, he will be back.

They let go of 3 picks of 12. Where is it said that this is a high number?

This class was ravaged with injuries...

Archived