Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nbcbayarea.com: Two 49er QBs May Miss Dallas Game

tr1

By JOE KUKURA

Updated 5:30 PM PDT, Wed, Aug 26, 2009

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/QBs-Hill-and-Smith-May-Both-Miss-Dallas-Game-55190747.html

Shaun Hill was so excited about being named the 49ers' starting quarterback that on Wednesday he injured himself throwing his first pass.

Hill strained his back on the first pass he threw Wednesday morning, after Coach Singletary had named him the starting quarterback Monday afternoon. Kevin Lynch reports on his San Francisco Chronicle blog that Hill is now listed as day-to-day, and might not play in Saturday's exhibition game at Dallas.

The 49ers have already scratched Alex Smith from Saturday's line-up. Smith sprained a thumb tackling Raider linebacker Ricky Brown after an interception in Saturday night's game.

If neither Hill nor Smith can play for the 49ers' third preseason game at Dallas -- and the third preseason game is typically the "dress rehearsal" game in which coaches let their starting quarterbacks play the longest -- then Niner fans will get an exceptionally long look at the likes of third-string candidates Nate Davis and Damon Huard.

Coach Singletary sounds optimistic about Hill coming back quickly. "I'm assuming he's going to play," Singletary said in a press conference after practice. "But I don't know that. So I don't even want to think about all the other stuff."

Hill himself sounds even more optimistic, telling Dan Brown of the Mercury News that he will "definitely" play Saturday against the Cowboys.

But it's not Hill's decision, it's the decision of the coaches and medical staff. And the coaches won't take unecessary risks with the guy whom the just named the season's starter.

So we may see a Nate Davis show Saturday. Damon Huard is in his 14th season, and the coaches pretty much know what they've got in him. Davis' potential is more intriguing, and he's taken most of the practice snaps since Hill was excused with the strained back.

Davis led the 49ers on three scoring drives late in Saturday's game against the Raiders, and obtained a quarterback rating of 103.2. We may get a chance see if Davis can do that against NFL starters instead of training camp third-stringers.

Wait...wait...can you hear it?

On Sunday morning, ATN will be full of puke fans telling us how GREAT their defense is!

:rotflmao:

What a powder-puff preseason schedule these guys have had.

powder puff preseason schedule...LMAO! its all powder in the preseason......

Lions were 4-0 last year right? it means nothing in the long run, we all know that.....

its not about stats and scores in the preseason, its performance evaluations and mostly for those 10-15 guys fighting for the lower half of the 53......

;6675633']Why are the 49er's and Cowboys playing in the preseason? I know their rivalry has died down over the years but you don't normally see a preseason game like this.

Because, the pukes don't want to see any good teams in the preseason.

powder puff preseason schedule...LMAO! its all powder in the preseason......

Please. Trying to say that going up against the 49ers is the equivalent of going up against the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots JUST because it's the preseason is pretty ridiculous lol...

Lions were 4-0 last year right? it means nothing in the long run, we all know that.....

It's NOT the preseason records that makes a tream a "powerpuff" opponent...that's not what tr1 was talking about...it's the quality of the opponent overall, how good they were last season, how good they've been numerous seasons in a row. The Lions' preseason record last year?? lol...How about the Steelers regular season record last year vs. the Lions' regular season last year? How about the Raven's regular season record last year compared to the Lions' regular season last year?

THOSE would be appropriate comparisons.

its not about stats and scores in the preseason, its performance evaluations and mostly for those 10-15 guys fighting for the lower half of the 53......

Yeah, and it's definitely easier to look good against the dregs of the league in preseason, isn't it? lol ;)...Think of all the overblown hype players around the league get when they're lighting it up in the 4th quarter against another team's 4th stringers...we constantly remind each other that "They're playing against guys who will be flipping burgers in 2 weeks"...meaning, the quality of opponent these players are "lighting it up" against should be taken into consideration. Well, why does that same logic NOT apply when the opponent went 0-16 last year?...Or for that matter, when the opponent went 13-3 last year or won the Super Bowl last year?

Wait...wait...can you hear it?

On Sunday morning, ATN will be full of puke fans telling us how GREAT their defense is!

:rotflmao:

What a powder-puff preseason schedule these guys have had.

Yeah, but c'mon PS does not matter, nor does hitting in camp. Wait until the real games are played, then the puffs will be ready to be hit.

Hill, at least, is still slated to start Saturday regardless, so their getting still SF's starting O, FWIW.

Hail.

I dunno if he'll play, really. Why risk him to more injury...there's another preseason game after this. Let's see what Singletary will do.

So .. when did teams get to start picking who they play in the preseason ?

And I didn't know the Titans are a powderpuff team.

I thought teams had some say in preseason schedules...let me see if I can find it.

The Titans minus Haynesworth have a questionable defense, at best. They were also missing two starting o-linemen when they played you.

Yes, there was plenty of powder on the puff.

Great. I see this going in two ways come Saturday.

Option 1 - "Dallas beat a team they should beat. They were injured. They play all soft teams."

Option 2 - "OMFGLOLLOL Dallas lost to SF!!!"

Either way ... it's a loss.

Dallas fans THEMSELVES should be taking this same approach, wouldn't you say?...Maybe not the "LOL" part lol...but I would think Dallas fans should either say:

1) We beat (or did well against) a team we SHOULD have beat (or done well against)...

or

2) "We looked bad against the 49ers...that's not good."

I'm not sure why saying the Cowboys beat or did well against a team they SHOULD have beat (or done well againt) is a "lose" situation...you might need to explain that one.

Archived