Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jarmon in the rotation?

MTechnik

I'm tellin you' date=' we are settin up for a switch to the 3-4.[/quote']

You might be right. We added the nose tackle tupe player in Haynesworth and picked up a heavy defensive end in Jarmon who along with Daniels are great for the 3-4. Orakpo and Carter are perfect OLB in a 3-4 being undersized defensive ends with speed.

The Offense could help by staying on the field a bit at times, also.

Yes, we had better sustain more drives this year, or it doesn't matter how many people we rotate in on defense. Out time of possession wasn't bad, but it just seemed like we had way too many 3 and outs in the 3rd and 4th quarters!

I don't see it, either. The personnel isn't even close to being there. Depth-wise, this team is built to play a 4-3. Period.

This team has a ton of D-linemen who can play, but a dearth of linebackers, which is part of the reason for playing Orakpo at the SAM. He and Chris Wilson are the only ones on the roster physically suited to playing outside linebacker in a 3-4. Andre Carter has already proven, with San Fran, that he's not really suited to playing that spot, and he's definitely not a two-gap 3-4 defensive end.

Playing Haynesworth at nose tackle would be a waste of his talent. What makes him special is his ability to get upfield and disrupt. That's not what a nose tackle does. In a 4-3 front, you can move Haynesworth all over the place and take advantage of matchups. There's a little less flexibility in a 3-man front, in that regard. There's really no other lineman the Skins have who is physically suited to playing nose tackle.

Besides that, there is nobody on this coaching staff with experience at running a 3-4 defense. The techniques and responsibilities for linemen and backers are completely different.

In a couple of years, you will see Orakpo and Jarmon line up at DE full-time. That's what all signs point to, as far as I can see at this point in time. Could be one of the better pairs in the league if talent, smarts, and work ethic count for anything.

Great knowledgeable analysis. need more of these on here

In the practices I've watched, he's been pretty impressive. And I just love the way he comes across in interviews. He's just a good kid, plain and simple. And he seems to have a serious work ethic.

I agree that with a year of development and weights, he could be something special.

Especially next year if he can play opposite Orakpo. Probably is, will either of them be big enough to play the right side?

Maybe we have two Manleys, and no Mann yet.

I think he can be. The guy is already 275-280. He might not fit that mold this season, but after he gets some good weight training under his best, he could probably add another 10 pounds. I think he will work out just fine there.

I think people in this thread are counting their hens before they hatch. The kid has yet to even play a snap yet, and you're already predicting that we're going to be ill at pass rush? Man, chill. Let it happen before you get all giddy.

What does the word "predicting" mean? Or the word "could"?

People are praising the kid for performing well in camp and showng signs of being a good DE someday. Whats wrong with that? This is a message board, its all about speculation.

I'm tellin you' date=' we are settin up for a switch to the 3-4.[/quote']

Haha. Not with this personel.

Carter is not a OLB, that experiment was attempted in San Fran and didnt work, Orakpo will eventually become out RDE, which is where he is playing on passing situations. Jarmon will be our LDE. Also, we dont have a NT. Haynesworth is NOT one, and we dont have anyone else on the team that could pull it off. We're a 4-3 defense period. On top of that, Blache has never run a 4-3, and that dog aint gonna try that trick.

For us to run a 3-4 we'd need:

1. another OLB

2. NT

3. Coach that runs it.

Whats the difference between a Nose Tackle and a regular Defensive tackle such as Haynseworth.

Well there is gap assignments and where he lines up. Also, Al isnt really the kind of guy you want playing NT physically. And the position plays opposite of the way Al plays. NT's job is to hold gaps and occupy people and keep the ILBs clean, Al is a disruptor and taller than you'd want a NT to be. When you think of NT, you think of a guy like Ted Washington.

Jarmon is about 280, that's definitely large enough to play the Left DE position, and I think Orakpo is staying at the Sam LB spot if he's successful, which I can't imagine him not being. After all the good things we've heard about these guys in camp reports, just imagine what kind of havoc that front 7 is going to be making.

Orakpo and Daniels/Jarmon on one side, Haynesworth at the RDT spot with Fletcher in the middle, and Landry is going to be moving around this year too. So, who do you double team and who do you not block?

Seriously, Let's say they keep a FB and a TE back to block, leaving only a RB and two WRs for the rest of the D to watch. You probably have 2 guys (at least) on Big Al (LG and C), the LT on Carter, the RG one on one with Griffin (which I'll love to see), and one lonely little RT fight of Daniels (or Jarmon), then you have the FB on one side of the QB to stop either Orakpo or on the other side to stop McIntosh, and the TE on the other side. That leaves our two CBs to cover the WRs and a safety to cover the RB. Fletcher and Landry are unchecked and I am more than confident that Daniels, or Griffin, or Orakpo, or Carter can beat a one on one every few plays.

Obviously it won't work out like that all the time, but looking at it that's just crazy. This is going to be a fun defense to watch and cheer for. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Its going to be intense that our D will need that much attention. Ill take Hall, Rogers, Landry and Horton covering 2 WRs and a RB ANYDAY! If you decide to use a TE to go out for a pass then you still have Hall, Horton or Landry and Rogers covering those three and one person with a free run. Im sure as hell not wanting Landry or Orakpo having a free run at my QB. Should be so much fun to watch this year!!!

Archived