Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No CBA to clear the cap house?

haraldjun

Hi

I´ve just a few thoughts regarding the CBA negotiations. And there comes one big question lingering around and I want to discuss it with you guys.

If 2011 is really an uncapped year would it be possible to release all players in March to get their contracts of the books and sign them to a heavy laden contract for 2011 so that e.g. in 2012 I can work more easily with the cap and everything else.

E.g. Porits contract will give him 10 Mio USD per year for the next X years but imagine in 3 years he will be 31 and maybe no longer the game changer he now is and we have to let him go, but that would lead to a cap hit of nearly 10 Mio USD so maybe 2011 can be the chance for rich teams to solve the future in issues like that.

Your thoughts?

I know if there is in fact an uncapped year there will a "final eight" rule restricting the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams can only sign unrestricted free agents who they cut or were on the team when their contract expired and teams 5-8 can sign one unrestricted free agent with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years. They'll also be able to sign one unrestricted free agent per unrestricted free agent they lose but they won't be able to spend more then the guy they lost gets.

I think where your proposal would run into issues is that there are limits, if I read the story correctly, on how much you can sign someone for. It doesn't appear that you could sign someone for $10 million for the uncapped year. I think "uncapped year" is sort of a misnomer because while there's no cap there are a lot of restrictions.

I'm pretty sure all the dead money/prorated bonuses would be automatically flushed down the toilet if the continuity between CBA's is interrupted. Without dead money, there's no penalty for releasing players whenever it's convenient. That could be 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. There is absolutely no urgency to cut anyone. The dead money savings alone would probably be enough to be in compliance with the next salary cap.

If there was no CBA in 2010 then there would be no Football in 2010 with an owners lockout or all out players strike and if the cap goes away then the cap will never be back ...

Not sure that would be a good thing

You're looney. The players and owners would NEVER, EVER strike in the modern NFL. Waaaaaaay too much money would be left on the table. This isn't like MLB or NHL striking when their fan attendance had already dwindled to pathetic numbers.

You're looney. The players and owners would NEVER, EVER strike in the modern NFL. Waaaaaaay too much money would be left on the table. This isn't like MLB or NHL striking when their fan attendance had already dwindled to pathetic numbers.

We said the same thing back in the 80's.

don't have an definite answer to the OP's question though I did hear gil brandt on sirius say it would be possible to release these players, of course, with no cap implications... as I understand it, teams are only on the hook for the guaranteed money, but I'm sure someone knows the situation better than I do...

personally, I'd be really disappointed if the cap is lost... I really enjoy and appreciate the GM's role in football and would hate to see the skins become like the yankees...

Keep in mind that redskins season ticket agreements have a bit about labor stoppages, mainly that you're still on the hook for your tickets even if there is no season.

Yeah, but you get a credit towards your entire contract obligation. Well, except for any missed pre-season games. Those you lose.

Yeaaah right . I am a looney and you my friend are living in a bubble of ignorance . The money lost in 2011 would be peanuts compared to what some could loose in the long run .

It is true the most likely the Owners will lock the players out if there is no CBA . Why ? No CBA no collective agreement no sharing of the wealth no parity no common TV deal . The cowboys will be able to work out their own deal , the Texans would be able to do their deal etc ... end of the line rich teams get richer . Poor teams go to the wall .

In addition to that the top players salaries will sky rocket $100 million dollars is nothing compared to what they would get with no cap to worry about . That would make chasing the best tallent impossible for smaller market teams hold outs would become common place , 4 -5 teams would become the cream of the crop year in year out and the rest fight it out fir crumbs ...

That is the nightmare scenario facing the owners and some of that may become reality before anything could be done . The only leverage the owners have right now is the threat of a lockout that would give more time to work out a new deal .

The cap helps all team owners because it puts an ABSOLUTE maximum on the salary cost in a year . Of one owner has the balls to actually carry out the lockout the rest will fall in line .

The only people no cap helps are the elite would be free agents . Everyone else would appear to be on the loosing side ...

hey st real lights out, why do you feel the need to even post that?i am soo fed up with the junior police man here. the admins do an awesome job and don't need your help. if it bothers you that much then send a personal letter to him about it.nit pickin little stuff isn't really needed.sorry to the rest of you all havin to read this, and this gentleman isn't the only one who's doin it or that has done it.i just don't think it's needed, it happens and it's going to. welcome to the human race.

Archived