Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shadows Fall - Retribution - 09.15.09

Commander PK

These guys are not getting their due, but they have been one of the finest purveyors of Thrash Metal of the newer crop of Metal bands for roughly the last 10 years. They had a gold album with "The War Within" back in 2004, which I HIGHLY recommend. Their major label debut "Threads of Life" came out on Atlantic records back in 2007, but the album tanked. "Threads of Life" was a great album, but just didn't get the exposure. The band has regrouped, and is releasing a new album on their own label this fall.

Here is the lead of single for their new album out on Sept 15th,

King of Nothing

as to not to start it's own thread, what do you think of Lamb of God's new one, "Wrath", Painkiller? I've grown quite fond of it.

That's their best one since As the Palaces Burn. I haven't cared for their other stuff. I really dig the acoustic stuff on this album.

I hope this album is better than their previous two. The Art of Balance kicked ass.

I agree, but I think this song has the same feel as their last two.

as to not to start it's own thread, what do you think of Lamb of God's new one, "Wrath", Painkiller? I've grown quite fond of it.

I think it crushes. Fantastic album...I like it better than Sacrament, but not as much as Ashes. Lamb of God has done nothing I didn't like. Great band, and local to...Richmond.

I agree, but I think this song has the same feel as their last two.

Agreed, but it feels like it has more of an edge, along the lines of "Venomous" from Threads. Their biggest problem IMO has been their actual songwriting itself, not their playing prowess. All these guys are ringers, especially Jason Bittner and John Donais, but many of their songs sound similar. Hopefully, the songs themselves will be better this time. Also IMO Brian Fair is somewhat holding them back. If there is a weak link in the chain, it's here. For the most part, with the exception of "Another Hero Lost" from Threads of Life he seems to be pretty much one dimensional. I prefer the styles of a Bruce Dickinson or obviously Rob Halford, but the latter years Phil Anselmo style has it's place. Just not all the time, non stop.

I just heard the song "Still I Rise" It is a bit better than King of Nothing.

I agree that they are awesome players, but they do have too many similar songs. I don't mind Fair when he is doing the cleaner vocals, but I think his growl sucks.

Where did you hear "Still I Rise"? I can't find it on their website or youtube

• 1 month later...

The Shads in at #35 on Billboard 200, which for them is pretty impressive. Especially after Atlantic ****ed them over with their ****ty promotional job for "Threads of Life" The resurgence of Metal/Rock can no longer be denied. Even fringe/underground artists are charting now. Even Ace Frehley of all people has a album in the Top 30. lol

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/billboard-200?begin=21&order=position

Still I Rise "official" Vid

Archived