Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mort's Mailbag: Cowboys QB race appears to be wide open; Sunday Silence in the lead!

AJWatson3

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/0618/1569781.html

Cowboys' QB race appears to be wide open

MORT'S MAILBAG | June 18

Will QB Chad Hutchinson bring smiles to the faces of Dallas fans? Time will tell...

Q: Last year, I thought Dallas Cowboys QB Chad Hutchinson did OK considering the circumstances. I've heard he would have been a high first-round pick if had he stayed in school. So if he has talent, how come nobody is really sold on him? What can we expect from him next season? -- Andrew, East Brunswick, New Jersey

MORT: Andrew, Hutchinson had a chance to be a high pick, but I'm not sure it was a lock. Yes, he did OK. Nobody is really sold on him because his arm may be average by NFL standards. Maybe it will get stronger as he gains more confidence. However, I keep hearing that Quincy Carter is making a very good early impression on Bill Parcells. So this thing really is wide open.

Q: When the Chicago Bears traded down in the draft, they not only bypassed a shot at selecting DT Dewayne Robertson, but also DE/OLB Terrell Suggs. Granted, Suggs is a bit undersized to play DE, but why didn't the Bears' brass see Suggs as a viable replacement for OLB Rosevelt Colvin? Or is the rationale that an OLB isn't worth the money at the No. 4 position? -- Marco Antonio Moreno, San Antonio, Texas

MORT: Marco, a great OLB is worth the first pick in the draft, let alone at No. 4. Remember Lawrence Taylor? He was the second pick of his draft. Suggs appears to be more of a project than Taylor ever was, in terms of making the move to OLB. It will take time. He will have to be more disciplined in how he trains and how he prepares for the game. I think the greater scrutiny on the Bears will be whether they were wise to pass on Robertson.

Q: Why is it that a team can put its ability to truly compete on the back burner with recycled QBs like Kent Graham, Jon Kitna and Matt Hasselbeck? But I'm noticing less of this and more youth movements. Is Tom Brady a big reason? If so, when will Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer and Tim Rattay get their turn? -- Peter, Tennessee

MORT: Peter, I'm a little confused by your question (that may be my problem). But the state of the QB in the NFL is really interesting. Your examples may not exactly be the best ones. Hasselbeck and Kitna were relatively young guys when they were given their opportunities. I think the ideal for a lot of teams is to develop a young guy and see if he is their 10-to-12 year answer. You do cite some really good young QBs who are a year away from free agency. Johnson (Falcons) and Palmer (Giants), in particular, are on the radars of some teams. Ironically, they played musical-chair QB together at Florida under Steve Spurrier. What hurts those guys' chances is the influx of young, highly drafted QBs in recent years. I do think they will get their turn.

hutch.jpg Hutch looks kind of demented...

there's no point in getting hung up on where a guy MIGHT have been drafted IF he had played college football for the normal tenure.

the fact is, he didn't :)

he didn't get the requisite reps or experience at the college level and is now in a whole new ballgame so to speak with none of the sophistication. it is hard enough for qbs who start for big-time programs for 2-3 years to break in the NFL.

You can look at Hutchinson and say he would have been drafted where Harrington or Pennington or Ramsey was in the first round, but that is all meaningless conjecture.

These other players have already shown in limited time, Pennington especially, that they belong at this level of competition.

Hutchinson has not shown that as of yet :)

the Cowboys have tried for several years to get by 'on the cheap' at the most important position on the field. that's one of the reasons they have finished 5-11.

as the Redskins also have found out, lousy play at the qb position equals wallowing in mediocrity. the rest of your team has to be truly stellar to bail you out of a limited quarterback.

the Ravens had to field the stingiest defense in league history to get Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl :)

like the Skins did with Ramsey last year, the Cowboys are just going to have to bite the bullet and stop drafting safeties and other spots in the draft while ignoring the qb spot.

OR they are going to have to go out in FA and make an early move in 2004 to secure a veteran who can step in and play.

because of their abbreviated college careers neither Carter nor Hutchinson was ready to play in the NFL. in fact neither was probably ready to be a backup when they entered the league.

after being forced fed the NFL for the past year or two we will see what they can do.

My next door neighbor is a Cowboys fan and while we were talking, we both agreed that the RB and QB positions were big weakness' for the Cowboys, I asked why wouldn't the Pukes want Greise and he said that Parcels said there were no good qb's in free agency.... I asked him if he thought Greise was better than Hutch or Big Tongue and he said Yes, obviously, So, if one of the two don't work out, the Pukes are screwed because they will have wasted a year because they have no one on the roster learning as we did with Ramsey. They will have to start from scratch at qb next year. I know Parcells is an excellent coach, but to pass on Griese might come back to haunt him in the long term. If he knew he was going to do that, he should have drafted a guy this year.

I am just still so glad Dallas didn't draft Leftwich....kid should be a stud....but hopefully he won't oust Brunell this summer because Dallas could grab him if trade bait......

Yeah ShortBus Hutchinson is one goofy kid...although Flowers isn't the most normal either :laugh:

is it just me or does that cowboy behind Hutch in the pic above have the face of Michael Vick? too wierd but thank god Vick isn't a cowboy:cheers:

codeorama:

the one reason the cowboys didn't go after griese is that griese is just an average QB and the cowobys don't have the most dominating defense in the league like the ravens or bucs to make a playoff run, nor is it a garauntee that they could have such a defense next year or the year after. How far could griese take you? super bowl? contender? probably not, then why waste time. as many here have said including many cowboy fans like myself, hutch is an unknown quantity here and given that we know enough about griese then why waste time. Hutch may have been a high draft pick and he has been away for 4 years, so will he be able to show that he has the ability? or willhe fail? time will tell. sitting on the bench won't tell you that so let him play and next year you know if you have to spend your dollars or draft picks on a QB or he is adequate and you can go defense again.

like rabidfan said, I would have loved to have leftwich. The only player in this draft other than newman that I wanted was leftwich. I think he is going to be special. He is the type of player that has natural leadership abilities and you can build a team around.

I'd bank the ranch on the 'Pokes going for a top-tier QB next year.

The same story has been playing over and over again in the NFL for years. New coach comes in, thinks he can compete with mediocre QBs and solid D, new coach realizes he can't, second year coach drafts stud QB.

the Jets will get Pennington locked up-I would think, but alot could happen this year with teams, starting QB controversy's and 'decent' guys getting the boot, some guys will just be FA's. Somebody like Dilfer could step in for a year or two for Dallas while they devlop a draft pick, or somebody like Jesse Palmer who looked pretty good in what I saw of him last year in pre-season...or Mark Brunell as somebody mentioned. Charlie Batch, Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb or Mike McMahon.

the Jets BETTER get Pennington locked up :)

That's the reason they gave for letting all these other players go this offseason, to have enough cap flexibility to sign Chad and others like Abraham.

It will be interesting to see. The Jets have one of the poorest records of any team since the merger in 1970.

Another team, the Bucs, that had a horrible record since their founding in 1976, was able to win last year.

Will the Jets enjoy a ride back to the Show?

Or are they a 10-6 team that got some good bounces and will return to 8-8 as the division gets stronger? :)

Originally posted by bulldog

Or are they a 10-6 team that got some good bounces and will return to 8-8 as the division gets stronger? :)

yes. i expect the Pats and Dolphins to be tougher this year, i think we'll lose at least one of those games. and Buffalo will be much more competitive this year as well. that division is always tight as a drum. the Jets got some very lucky bounces last year, the year before as well. don't count on lightening stricking three times in a row. they've simply lost too much talent to be able to beat those three teams consistently.

Archived