Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens Reach Deal with Suggs

darklight1216

Ravens Reach Deal with Suggs

The Ravens have reached a six-year, $63 million agreement in principle with OLB Terrell Suggs. by BaltimoreRavens.com

Jul 15, 2009, 10:05AM

The Ravens have reached a six-year agreement in principle with OLB Terrell Suggs that will be completed this afternoon once paperwork is finalized.

The agreement was completed late last night.

“Getting a deal done with Terrell is consistent with our history of retaining our best Pro Bowl players, like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden, Todd Heap and Jamal Lewis,” Ravens general manager and executive vice president Ozzie Newsome stated. “Securing Terrell for six seasons gives us a premier pass-rusher whose ability to stop the run does not get enough credit.

“When I think of what Terrell can do for us – the AFC Championship game immediately comes to mind when he sacked Big Ben [ben Roethlisberger] two times even while playing with an injured shoulder. This will be Suggs’ seventh season, and he is still a young player (Suggs will be 26 at the start of the season). Remember, he came to us as a 20-year old rookie after his junior year in college. This is a good day for the Ravens franchise.”

The Ravens will have a 2 p.m. conference call with Suggs this afternoon.

According to ESPN, Suggs’s contract totals $63 million, with extra bonuses totaling $33.1 million in the next two seasons. If true, that contract dwarfs the deal Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeny signed in 2007, which totaled $31.5 million in bonus money during the first two years of his contract.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2009/07/Ravens_Reach_Deal_with_Suggs.aspx

Good for him he deserves every penny of it. Would have loved to see the Skins sign him the guy is an absolute monster. I still cringe thinking about the Ravens game last year when we brought in (cant remember his name for some reason) at tackle and Suggs yelled at Zorn and said I dont think he is suppose to be in here and blows right past him for the sack.:doh:

Good for him he deserves every penny of it. Would have loved to see the Skins sign him the guy is an absolute monster. I still cringe thinking about the Ravens game last year when we brought in (cant remember his name for some reason) at tackle and Suggs yelled at Zorn and said I dont think he is suppose to be in here and blows right past him for the sack.:doh:

Lol, I don't remember that one; that's good stuff. :silly:

Lol, I don't remember that one; that's good stuff. :silly:
It was Justin Geisinger who is acutally an OG. Yea that is good stuff for Ravens fans damn it lol. He is the actual quote from Suggs. Also the link.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/09/terrell-suggs-was-worried-for-jason-campbells-health-on-sunday/

"I actually pointed at Jim Zorn and said, 'You can't do this, you're going to get your quarterback hurt,' " said Suggs, who praised Geisinger's effort under such stark circumstances. "I was like, 'I don't think this guy is supposed to be here. You've got a mistake.' "

"I actually pointed at Jim Zorn and said, 'You can't do this, you're going to get your quarterback hurt,' " said Suggs, who praised Geisinger's effort under such stark circumstances. "I was like, 'I don't think this guy is supposed to be here. You've got a mistake.' "

I think everybody at M&T Bank was saying the exact same thing.

Terrell Suggs is good but I don't think he was worth that money. D-ware is going to be a pain to re-sign for the cowboys so it makes me happy.

I disagree. I would actually argue that Suggs could make a case for being a top 3 OLB. He doesn't get as much attention from Baltimore since that defense is pretty much the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed show, but he is an absolute monster for the Ravens, and I cringed when I saw Geisinger having to line up at LT against him. :doh:

Yeah...no thanks to the brilliant GMs in the Baltimore-Washington area.

:doh:

You do realize that regardless of anything Baltimore or Washington did, Ware was going to already command an absolute monster of a contract, thanks to the big deals given to Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I'm eating lunch at the same time so I wasn't paying attention.

ITs the damn market that sets the contracts.

Defenders are going to get more money now.

DL, LB, CBs > Guard, RB, Center, #2/#3 WR, TE

face it, the redskins weren't the only teams that would have paid 100 mil for AH. I'm sure Dware would command more than that with so many teams playing the 3-4.

ITs the damn market that sets the contracts.

Defenders are going to get more money now.

DL, LB, CBs > Guard, RB, Center, #2/#3 WR, TE

face it, the redskins weren't the only teams that would have paid 100 mil for AH. I'm sure Dware would command more than that with so many teams playing the 3-4.

AH's 100 mil is vapor. Suggs has more $ guaranteed than AH.

Edit: details on contract.

Terrell Suggs will sign a six-year, $63 million contract with the Ravens on Wednesday, completing one of the more lucrative deals in NFL history.

A three-time Pro Bowl linebacker, Suggs will receive $33 million in bonuses (a $10.1 million signing bonus and a $23 million option bonus due in March), which ranks second only to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who earned $34 million in bonuses. Suggs' total is believed to be the most ever for a defensive player.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-terrell-suggs-715,0,2321574.story

Terrell Suggs is good but I don't think he was worth that money. D-ware is going to be a pain to re-sign for the cowboys so it makes me happy.

Completely false statement. Dware is a 3-4 DE and that's it. Suggs can play both 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE as well as 3-4 SSOLB in a pinch. This guy is the most versatile D-lineman I've seen since LT.

His contract comes out to be a bit better than Haynesworth's realistic contract and he fully deserves it.

Completely false statement. Dware is a 3-4 DE and that's it. Suggs can play both 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE as well as 3-4 SSOLB in a pinch. This guy is the most versatile D-lineman I've seen since LT.

His contract comes out to be a bit better than Haynesworth's realistic contract and he fully deserves it.

This isn't quite right either, Ware is a 3-4 OLB and also plays DE when the Cowboys go to a 4 man line. He is absolutly not a 3-4 DE, those guys are usually around 300 pounds and are mostly to take on blockers and provide gap control so the LBs can make the play.

Lol, I don't remember that one

Pretty much sums up the typical Raven fan there . . . ;)

Good for Suggs though. The guy deserves the money. He has done nothing but impress me since he came into the league from ASU after that record setting season he had.

On a skins related note - I hope that Orakpo can turn into a Suggs-type player. They have the same measurables and it seems that we will use him in the same DE/OLB role that the Ravens do with Suggs. If Orakpo can give us the same production that Suggs has given Baltimore, I would be more than happy to see him sign a contract like this one in a few years.

Ware plays all of those outside of the 3-4 DE spot (which Suggs does not do well at)

I always thought he was a LB, not a DE. NFL.com has him listed as an OLB. http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellsuggs/profile?id=SUG467201

Wasn't LT also a linebacker rather than a defensive lineman?

Adalius Thomas is even more versatile IMO.

Archived