Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Ultimate Standings: Redskins No.92

MattFancy

If Ted Leonsis (Capitals owner) were to buy the Redskins, it would be one of the happiest days of my life...

The Caps are #6 on that list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4288851

Leonsis has a no-nonsense/commonsense franchise-building formula that he's a followed religiously to great success so far:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/26/772915/ted-leonsis-shares-his-ten

And he's just a cool, self-made guy with a good story (great businessman as well--helped build the AOL empire, and it's decline began around the time he left):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Leonsis

+1... rock the red... danny boy needs to take notice

The statistics are so outta wack.

My buddy at work bought two lower levels at Baltimore.

2 lower level PSL's at the time cost him $7,000. His lower level tickets now cost more than lower level tix at FedEx. Of course that cost doesn't factor in to their rankings. Then throw in the fact that the stadium is in Baltimore, so many folks can park in back alleys and public parking.

So at face value, maybe Baltimore is cheaper. As a whole not sure it's any better in price.

Edit: Not to mention the state of md funds/funded the stadium.

I can't believe the depl-Orioles leapfrogged to one spot above the Skins. It at least gives me a little hope, since Angelos finally broke down and hired MacPhail after 10 losing seasons. Perhaps we can experience the same logical turn sometime in the near future.

I can't believe the depl-Orioles leapfrogged to one spot above the Skins. It at least gives me a little hope, since Angelos finally broke down and hired MacPhail after 10 losing seasons. Perhaps we can experience the same logical turn sometime in the near future.

Amen to that! It seemed like Angelos was going to run the O's into the ground, but since McPhail has come in, the future seems much brighter.

If Snyder would only do something like that. It seems like all the local teams have a plan for the future except for the Redskins and maybe the Wizards. The O's, Ravens, Caps, and Nats all have a bunch of young players and are rebuilding the right way.

The Skins have to be the worst managed franchise in sports. With all the money Danny brings in we should be competing for Championship's every year instead of struggling to get a .500 record. I am done with Danny if I don't see some changes soon, I will be turning in my season tickets.

This ranking is not solely based on the price of a ticket but the overall look at all the sports teams of pro football, hockey, basketball and baseball. So there is much more to the ranking than price of tickets and what you get at the game. They also look at the ownerships and several other factors that is base purely on the view of the writer and the organization he writes for. This guy writes for ESPN otherwise known as the "I love the Cowboys", and any other front runner team, Network. Everyone hates Dan Snyder for whatever reason and the owners are the ones that hate him the most. Why do you think he had such a hard time buying the team in the first place. So with that much hate would you expect a different result? Are the prices that much different from team to team? Or Is the bang for your buck the biggest determining factor?

I just rcvd my ESPN mag (print) in the mail. :)

Beer prices: we're tied for third to last (120th) with an $8 price tag on a 16 oz beer. And I'm using the correct $8 price, not the $7 price they used. However, if you buy an $8 draft, it's 20 oz (this is not advertised). This would be more towards the middle.

Best coaching: #1 - NE Pats

Best Fan relations: #1 - Detroit Red Wings

#122 - Cincinnati Bengals (dead last)

Best Ownership: #1 - Detroit Red Wings

Best Stadium Experience: #1 - Green Bay Packers

Best Bang for the Buck: #122 - St Louis Rams (dead last)

Best Front Offices: #2 - Pittsburgh Steelers

#3 - NE Pats

#121 - Detroit Lions

Best Stadiums: #3 Green Bay Packers

#5 Seattle Seahawks

#118 Minnesota Vikings

Most Responsive Team (listens to fans re improvements)

#1 - Washington Capitals

#2 - Green Bay Packers

#122 - Detroit Lions (dead last)

Most Valuable Franchise

#1 - Dallas Cowboys

#2 - NY Yankees

#3 - Minnesota Vikings

(Redskins not listed in top 8, all sports)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4297571

The methodology (link above) section of the article details how they broke down the formula. To quickly answer your question, Bang for the Buck is the largest component. In fact, it's twice the weight of ownership, so Snyder alone only accounts for 10.6% of the formula. If you read the Angels #1 ranking writeup, promotions, discount days, and marketing account for their success in this system.

In viewing the Skins in this writeup, we can attribute a lot of the ranking to FedEx itself: parking, distance, accessbility, etc. Not to mention a lack of significant promotions, inferior multimedia, and more.

It seems like the FO is taking advantage of a dependent customer base. Maybe he'd have a lot of success in the oil business.

I'd give anything if Snyder would follow Leonsis' lead here.

“I feel very, very comfortable over the last four years that it's been working in terms of the front office and I'm a believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We've done a pretty good job there." – Dan Snyder

That pretty much sums everything up. The Kim Jong IL of the Redskins feels that he is doing a great job.

I just rcvd my ESPN mag (print) in the mail. :)

Most Valuable Franchise

#1 - Dallas Cowboys

#2 - NY Yankees

#3 - Minnesota Vikings

(Redskins not listed in top 8, all sports)

IIRC the vikings earn >$100MM less revenue than the Redskins per year, I'm not sure how they are #3 and we aren't on that list.

It is sad though that when Snyder bought the team the Redskins were first on almost all of the Most Valuable Franchise lists even ahead of the Yankees, Cowboys, and Manchester United. I believe by maximizing profits at gameday and debatably mismanaging the football operations the Redskins have lost quite a lot of goodwill, which, ultimately sells jerseys and expands demand for TV coverage across the US.

Archived