Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Second Year Head Coaches- Something to Ponder.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Which Trophy is the best?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which Trophy is the best?

• Stanley Cup (NHL)
    • O'brien Trophy (NBA)
    • Lombardi Trophy (NFL)
    • World Series Trophy (MLB)
    • UEFA Champions League Trophy
    • NCAA BCS Championship
    • NCAA Mens Basketball
    • World Cup Trophy
    • US Open
    • Other (post pic)

History doesn't always equal said results. In the 2000 era, history has been made several times. First Black Head Coach to win a Super Bowl, Tony Dungy, against another Black Head Coach in Lovey Smith. Mike Tomlin the youngest Head Coach to win a Super Bowl. So history was against that happening but it happened. So just because history is against something happening doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. History is made and winning isn't based of historical statistics. Do you actually think that Jim Zorn or any of the other Rookie or second year coaches are saying, "I can't win this year because history shows that only this or that percent of first year or second year coaches win only this amount of games?" NO! They are worried about getting their players in shape, their system installed or refined, and game planning. Statistics and doubters are what the fans and the media types bring up to back an opinion they have about any team they feel doesn't have a chance. They don't take in account the injuries of a team, the errors that a team makes, or the heart of any team. These are things they can't predict and often prove them wrong. Prime example is the Arizona Cardinals. Who thought they were going to be in the Super Bowl or even the playoffs? I didn't think they would. Now they are suppose to be one of the favorites in their division because of their performance and the unknown factors that no one can predict.

Norv was famous for early season rises and late season collapses, until we started off 0-8 and then had a late season rise to go 5-11. I think thats the only time we carried the momentum, or it coulda been us just continuing our normal early season rises.

That is what makes me a little nervous. The second half collapse, when I go back and analyze it was Norvesque. Think about the Bengals game for example, the Sellers fumble at the goal line, or the Ravens game, Campbell throws a pick, Portis fumbles, we're down by 14, we start to get momentum and claw our way back in and our D just lets Baltimore walk all over them and take us out of the game, there were more moments but the 2008 season had echoes of Norv in that collapse. some of those losses were just flat out soul shatteringly mystifying.

the 2008 season had echoes of Norv in that collapse. some of those losses were just flat out soul shatteringly mystifying.

Agreed. Norv's entire head coaching career has been centered around these types of games. I only hope last season was an aberration due to it being Zorn's first season, and that in 10 years we aren't all looking back at Zorn's tenure here the way we look back at Norv's.

Archived