Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Short Yardage

Taipei-tommy

The Skins are deep a running back, but none have really proven themselves in a third and short or goal line scenario. I would like to see what would happen with LaVar based on his extreme athleticism. He did it before maybe he could again.

PENNSYLVANIA

"Player of the year: LaVar Arrington, LB-RB, North Hills (Pittsburgh), 6-4, 225. Ran 217 times for 1,279 yards and 18 TDs, and had 143 tackles with four sacks. Added 11 receptions for 122 yards. Career: 711 carries, 4,357 rushing yards, 342 tackles. Named USA TODAY all-USA second team."

a preseason nightmare..

Promising young CB Jason Sehorn: Say coach! can i return the punt?

Coach Fassel: Sure Jason, git on out there!

>punt<

Sehorn: OUCH OUCH OUCH MY KNEE MY KNEE MY KNEEEEE!!!!

Fassel: Dang!

I say leave Lavar where he is. No sense poking bad luck with a stick.

~Bang

The one guy on the roster who seems best equipped to handle designated short-yardage duty is Rock Cartwright. The man has a great low center of gravity thing working for him, good acceleration, and doesn't seem shy about plowing into bigger people. I was also struck by his decisiveness with the ball in his hands last year as a rookie. Not a lot of hesitation or dancing around. Put that all together, and I think we may have something.

Plus, the idea of being a DL or LB and trying to find him in the pile before he plows into you and sticks a helmet in your gut isn't all that appealing. :)

I just have a funny feeling we're going to see more of Rock on 3rd downs and short yardage than many expect.

Just don't see Rock Cartwright fit for that role. Yes, he's got speed to hit the hole. Yes, he's small so he can get lost in the shuffle. Yes, he's got a low center of gravity so he's difficult to bring down.

But at 5'7... he's not going to plow into defensive linemen and linebackers crashing at full speed... and move the pile backwards himself. Which is what you would trust a FB to do in those situations.

You'd need a guy like Stephen Davis... who will always fall forward and pick up a few yards. Though he was known to fumble the ball a few times in those goal-line situations :)

Actually, what we saw a lot of last year from the Skins in those situations were sweeps to the outside.

I haven't seen enough of Cartwright to know he has that ability to be effective seeking the goal line in close, but I remember another sub 5'10 fullback in Robert Newhouse in Dallas who made a career out of getting first downs and rushing them in from in short :)

Originally posted by bulldog

I haven't seen enough of Cartwright to know he has that ability to be effective seeking the goal line in close, but I remember another sub 5'10 fullback in Robert Newhouse in Dallas who made a career out of getting first downs and rushing them in from in short :)

Yeah, but wasn't that back when defensive tackles weighed about 250?

Good point, DH ... but I think IF Rock proves to have that instinctive "nose for the goal line," that innate ability to twist his body just so to take advantage of the tiniest sliver, and to explode into a tacker at just the right moment and angle, he could use his other attributes to compensate.

One of the best short yardage runners I've ever seen was Marcus Allen, and he certainly didn't do it power. Yes, he'd go "over the top" sometimes, which Rock won't likely do, but even when he didn't simply leap the pile, Allen just always seemed to find a way to get that extra couple inches on runner's instinct.

Not saying Rock HAS that abitility, just that if he does, I think the power and low center of gravity and decisiveness I think he's shown to date might be enough to make him a viable short yardage option.

Hope so, anyway. :)

Thing about cartwright is that he hasn't shown that knack for the hole on the few occasions he's handled the rock. Looking at Betts' kickoff returns you can see the guy has a nose for following guys setting up blocks. In short yardage, that's 90% of the running back's job.

While agree that if rock had that something special he'd be great. I haven't seen it... yet. Hope he suprises, because if he does show that he can carry the ball well, then a backfield with trung and rock sounds pretty dangerous.

-DB

His leverage and power are his biggest assets. And he is not a passive player. One of his attruibutes is his size to speed ratio (4.47 in the 40-yard dash) and he runs low.

After following him all these years, I know he has the ability.

Plus, his strength more than compensates for being 5'8" (5' 7 3/4" according to the combine)

• 35-inch vertical jump
    415-pound bench press
    917-pound safe squat

Archived