Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Killer Instinct?

Annonymous Source

In recent years the Redskins have seemed to lack killer instinct to me. They seemingly cannot put a game beyond reach, even when they are dominating both sides of the ball.

Last season their largest margin of victory was when they beat Detroit(Detroit!!!) by 9 points, all of their other victories were 7 points or less.

The year before that they had a blowout win versus Detroit and Dallas.

The year before that they had a blowout win versus Houston.

I define a blowout as a 14 point victory because that forces the opponent to have two successful drives to catch up.

Has anyone else noticed this inability to close in recent years, and does anyone have a favorite blowout from the past to share?

also does anybody have any examples of games that were lost because of the inability to dominate the opposition. (mine is the St. Louis game 2 years ago where they lost 28-24 but were inside the opponents redzone pretty much the whole game.)

Thanks for your time

hail

Errr, I was at that Rams game. Fact is we would have won if Springs didn't get hurt (what's new) or if CP played. Betts had a CRUCIAL fumble.

Im not saying that there werent reasons on the field that we lost, im saying that against that level of competition we should be winning by consistently greater margins. To take the next step as a franchise that is what needs to happen.

when we talk about good teams in this leauge the common charachteristic that they all share is the ability to win the games that they are supposed to win. no excuses.

You are right about why we lost that game, but I am trying to point out a major problem that has existed in our franchise for as long as I can remember. The game always seems to come down to the last drive. That doesnt happen with good teams.

were incapable of blowouts because with campbell starting we cant score 30 points. so unless our defense holds the offense to a field goal or less than 10 points, its really tough for us to dominate.

campbells biggest blowout of his career was against the lions in 07, 34-3. and even in that game we had a defensive touchdown in junk time when los picked off kitna for 6. when campbell starts, our offense doesnt dominate.

Redskins beat the 49ers 52-17 in 2005.

I was at that game, and it was basically over at halftime. I didnt know how to feel. I'm so used to the nailbiters, that the game just didnt seem right for some reason. I guess its when we do win a real close one, its just so exciting all the way to the end of the game. Hey, not saying theres anything wrong with a blowout, its just that I'm not used to that

You can't expect a bunch of overpaid millionaires to have "killer instinct." That's why you need a mix that includes some young, hungry players who are not just in it for the money. As everyone knows, players come to this team to get PAID, not to get suffer a career-ending injury by actually playing hard...God forbid they don't get all their money!

Redskins beat the 49ers 52-17 in 2005.

I was at that game, and it was basically over at halftime. I didnt know how to feel. I'm so used to the nailbiters, that the game just didnt seem right for some reason. I guess its when we do win a real close one, its just so exciting all the way to the end of the game. Hey, not saying theres anything wrong with a blowout, its just that I'm not used to that

id like some more blowouts. itd be nice to know that the redskins are just clearly better than a team, and that that team had been outplayed, outcoached, and just outmatched.

its sad when it comes down to the wire against the 0-16 lions, or the 4-12 browns. or when we lose to the 4-11-1 bengals and the 2-14 rams.

oh my god, i just realized last year that against teams with combined records of 10-53-1 we were 2-2. although we did beat both nfc championship teams 3-0 on the season. odd how that works lol.

edit: that was my 10000th post. my lord

id like some more blowouts. itd be nice to know that the redskins are just clearly better than a team, and that that team had been outplayed, outcoached, and just outmatched.

its sad when it comes down to the wire against the 0-16 lions, or the 4-12 browns. or when we lose to the 4-11-1 bengals and the 2-14 rams.

oh my god, i just realized last year that against teams with combined records of 10-53-1 we were 2-2. although we did beat both nfc championship teams 3-0 on the season. odd how that works lol.

it seems to me that we can compete with most of the teams in the league, but we cannot dominate anyone. It isnt all Campbell's fault either, it goes back to before Campbell. As an organization we just dont go out there to demolish people (except dallas). We play to win not to dominate is what im trying to say I guess.

were incapable of blowouts because with campbell starting we cant score 30 points. so unless our defense holds the offense to a field goal or less than 10 points, its really tough for us to dominate.

campbells biggest blowout of his career was against the lions in 07, 34-3. and even in that game we had a defensive touchdown in junk time when los picked off kitna for 6. when campbell starts, our offense doesnt dominate.

BLC, this is by no means a put down or anything because I respect your opinion, but your line of thinking seems to have become very narrow and one track.

There are a number of reasons why we have not been able to blow out teams. It's not all Jason Campbell's fault. Come on man.

We have a great defense, but lets face it, they have'nt scored a whole hell of a lot or have even put our offense in a position to score very often. Our special teams never score...never.

The bottomline is that there is a whole lot of blame to go around for us not being able to blow out opponents. It's not all JC's fault.

BLC, this is by no means a put down or anything because I respect your opinion, but your line of thinking seems to have become very narrow and one track.

There are a number of reasons why we have not been able to blow out teams. It's not all Jason Campbell's fault. Come on man.

We have a great defense, but lets face it, they have'nt scored a whole hell of a lot or have even put our offense in a position to score very often. Our special teams never score...never.

The bottomline is that there is a whole lot of blame to go around for us not being able to blow out opponents. It's not all JC's fault.

its not narrow at all, i feel strongly that after watching this team with 3 different QBs, and mostly the same personnel everywhere else on the offense, that when campbell starts, this team doesnt dominate. brunell was past it and was able to put together a number of 30+ point games. todd collins came in with the same oline that campbell had played with and was able to score more points than campbell.

when he starts, we just dont score a lot. i didnt make that up, our scoreboard says so.

sure, its not ALL campbell, its never just one guys fault. but the majority of the blame lies with him. hes the guy driving the car. hes the one thats supposed to make it go. but when hes driving, we average like 16 points a game, which is unacceptable at the NFL level.

and in terms of "killer instinct", i honestly think jim zorn wants to go for the jugular but hes held back by our QB. the seattle offense which he comes from was all about attacking all the time and they could do so because hasselbeck could get it done for them.

i really dont want jim zorn gone until someone else gets a shot to run the show. with the offensive weapons weve got and the idea of a pass to set up the run offense, we could be deadly with a good QB. but again, we need the QB first or its all for not.

In recent years the Redskins have seemed to lack killer instinct to me. They seemingly cannot put a game beyond reach, even when they are dominating both sides of the ball.

Just out of curiosity, how many times in "recent years" have we been "dominating both sides of the ball"? I can recall very few times we dominated either side of the ball.

Maybe my definition of "dominated" is different than yours.

As to the question of why we don't win by more than 2 TDs, BLC has it correct: it's because of JC. He does not put enough points up.

You can't expect a bunch of overpaid millionaires to have "killer instinct." That's why you need a mix that includes some young, hungry players who are not just in it for the money. As everyone knows, players come to this team to get PAID, not to get suffer a career-ending injury by actually playing hard...God forbid they don't get all their money!

I disagree with the first part of your statement, all 32 teams have overpaid millionaires. But you're right, few freeagents are coming here trying to make a name for themselves. They've already seen their payday.

With a feeble passing game for years now, we are never able to finish off our opponents proper. We either choose or are forced to try and win the game by running the ball, but its not 1983. Portis and all backs fumble. When you get a lead, thats when defenses are forced to gamble and step up. thats when you burn them deep. Instead, we run up the gut right into it and depend on the greg williams d to save the day.

Archived