Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lesser known hip hop albums worth copping - include brief review and song links

The Villi Phanatic

Good thread idea bro....I'll be back later on w. some more info...but, I'll contribute:

Deltron 3030

I don't have the time now to write a summary, but it's one of the most incredible albums that I own in my collection. Beats are insane and Del KILLS on the lyrics....

Upgrade your grey matter...because one day...it may matter

Abcd skins, I'm checking out that prophetix joint and upon this initial listen, I'm impressed. Certainly sounds like an album I'd cop. Good looking out on the recommendations, I'm also gonna check for l-roneous (I've heard of him and that album in particular but don't think I ever actually heard it).

The prophetix album is now the 2nd album I checked out as a result of this thread that I plan on buying. Also came across a cymarshall & mr. joeker album (Hip Hop In The Soul) that I plan on getting. Had never heard of either of them but the beats sound unique and dope from mr. joeker and cymarshall seems to be a respectable mc from what I listened to.

One of the best albums of all time..and mostly un heard of...

The Beatnuts - Street Level

Ah, it's actually not "Street Level"... it's just a self titled album "Beatnuts". Everyone just calls it Street Level, myself included, cause those words are on a graphic on the album cover. I actually posted this album previously in this thread and definitely agree with you for it being a great album (I'd probably put it in my top 20, great listen and replay value, easily the best album from the beatnuts).

Ah, it's actually not "Street Level"... it's just a self titled album "Beatnuts". Everyone just calls it Street Level, myself included, cause those words are on a graphic on the album cover. I actually posted this album previously in this thread and definitely agree with you for it being a great album (I'd probably put it in my top 20, great listen and replay value, easily the best album from the beatnuts).

My bad I didnt see you posted it. Never knew that about the album title. Just remember banging this back in the day to some 40's and blunts at the peak of my yo boy days.

Abcd skins, I'm checking out that prophetix joint and upon this initial listen, I'm impressed. Certainly sounds like an album I'd cop. Good looking out on the recommendations, I'm also gonna check for l-roneous (I've heard of him and that album in particular but don't think I ever actually heard it).

The prophetix album is now the 2nd album I checked out as a result of this thread that I plan on buying. Also came across a cymarshall & mr. joeker album (Hip Hop In The Soul) that I plan on getting. Had never heard of either of them but the beats sound unique and dope from mr. joeker and cymarshall seems to be a respectable mc from what I listened to.

Cool man, glad you are digging it. I copped it on amazon for like $7 before it went out of print, now it's going for like $25. Definitley some nice grooves on that.

Holla at me if you ever need some more recommendations man, I got a pretty extensive underground hip hop collection. A couple more gems:

Encore- Self-Preservation. You might have heard of Encore, he was on the original Handsome Boy Modeling School album(So...How's Your Girl) and featured on some other albums. Very nice album, beats mostly by The Architect and Encore has a unique flow.

Kuqib- Kuboniqs

Asamov- And Now...

Supastition- The Deadline

Beatnuts- A Musical Massacre is an overlooked album, although Street Level and Stone Crazy are definitley better.

Cool man, glad you are digging it. I copped it on amazon for like $7 before it went out of print, now it's going for like $25. Definitley some nice grooves on that.

Holla at me if you ever need some more recommendations man, I got a pretty extensive underground hip hop collection. A couple more gems:

Encore- Self-Preservation. You might have heard of Encore, he was on the original Handsome Boy Modeling School album(So...How's Your Girl) and featured on some other albums. Very nice album, beats mostly by The Architect and Encore has a unique flow.

Kuqib- Kuboniqs

Asamov- And Now...

Supastition- The Deadline

Yeah, I have an extensive underground collection as well (over 500 hip hop albums in total) but much of my collection and familiarity with the underground was centered around the late 90s/early 2000s when I had a radio show. I have a decent amount of albums from the past decade as well but I know I've missed out on some albums and artists and I'm a fiend always looking for more music.

Encore I know, had a song consider this or something if I remember right. That supastition deadline album has also been at the top of my list of to cop albums for a while now but I think it went out of print right when I went to order it (went out of stock on the site I buy from a year or 2 ago and I think the record store by me couldn't order it either). Never heard of the other 2 artists but I'll check them out.

Aceyalone - A Book of Human Nature

This album isn't for everybody but it showcases a very creative artist in Aceyalone delving into human nature with him examining elements of it being the conceptual foundation for the album. Due largely to the production, the tracks are hit or miss to me and I skip a number of them but some including the links below have plenty of replay value with stellar lyrics and well-crafted beats complementing the concepts.

"The Faces"

"Hold"

Ugly Duckling - 1. Journey to Anywhere and 2. Bang for the Buck

I'm listing two albums for Ugly Duckling as neither stands out to me but I'd recommend both as pretty good listens. The lyrics and styles of Ugly Duckling emcees Andy Cooper and Dizzy Dustin may be an acquired taste, but both are competent rappers who don't take themselves that seriously and goof around a lot (as can be seen from smack and other videos below). The result is some good party type and entertaining music. These two albums have distinct feels to them due to the samples used for production in each so you may like one and not the other (UD also has at least one other full-length album in addition to these two).

Journey to Anywhere:

Bang for the Buck:

Here are 3 more albums including a must-have for hip hop fans in the Gravediggaz, an old school album by the UMCs, and a newer joint released a few years back featuring production by Dangermouse (of Gnarls Barkley):

Gravediggaz - 6 feet deep

With RZA and Prince Paul teaming up for production this album features great beats making for a smooth straight through listen and is a must-own for hip hop collectors. Poetic, Frukwan, and the RZA deliver quality lyrics to complement the production in what is now termed horrorcore rap.

Nowhere to Run to, Nowhere to Hide

Mommy, what's a Gravedigga

UMCs - Fruits of Nature

This album has a definite old school sound to it (think De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising) so it probably isn't for everybody. The UMCs provide decent rhymes and flows with the album having a cohesive transition from track to track.

Jemini and Dangermouse - Ghetto Pop Life

Rapper Jemini the Gifted One teams up with producer Dangermouse for a solid album with a few bangers. The album spans a few topics including politics but is mostly just straight spitting rhymes with some humor mixed in. Pharcyde, J-Zone, and Prince Po of Organized Konfusion all appear on the album.

Bush Boys

Don't Do Drugs

Knuckle Sandwich

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of off topic, but this DJ JS-1 mixtape should be dope. Check the tracklisting

1. Intro feat. Rahzel (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

2. Like This feat. Large Professor (formerly of Main Source), PMD (of EPMD) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

3. Clear 'N Present Danger feat. KRS-One, Canibus (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

4. Murder feat. Chino XL, Sean Price (of Heltah Skeltah), Killah Priest (of Sunz Of Man) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

5. Nuthin' feat. CL Smooth, Brother Ali, Sadat X (of Brand Nubian) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

6. Karma Killerz feat. Aesop Rock, C-Rayz Walz, Vast Aire (of Cannibal Ox) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

7. Ridiculous feat. O.C. (of D.I.T.C.), Pharoahe Monch (formerly of Organized Konfusion) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

8. Sum Rap **** feat. Nutrageous, Copywrite, Jak Danielz (of ColdHeat) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

9. Runnin' This feat. Termanology, Punchline, Rugged Intellect (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

10. I Don't Mind feat. Ill Bill (of Non Phixion & La Coka Nostra), Virtuoso, Slaine (of Special Teamz & La Coka Nostra) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

11. No Sell Out (Interlude) feat. DJ Premier (of Gang Starr) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

12. On The Map feat. Craig G, Jak Danielz (of ColdHeat), Blaq Poet (of Screwball), Trez, Big Noyd (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

13. Men Of Business (M.O.B.) feat. Vinnie Paz (of Jedi Mind Tricks) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

14. Bang Da Underground feat. Torae, Pumpkinhead, Block McCloud (of Brooklyn Academy) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

15. Original Gz feat. A.G. (of D.I.T.C.), Craig G, EDO.G (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

16. No Comparison feat. C-Rayz Walz, Jak Danielz (of ColdHeat), Poison Pen (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

17. Too Easy feat. Akrobatik (of Perceptionists), J-Live, Supastition, PackFM (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

18. I Knew A Girl feat. E.M.C. (Masta Ace + Punchline + Stricklin) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

19. What's Happening feat. Wordsworth, Rahzel (Produced By: Rahzel)

20. Rock Steady feat. Rakaa Iriscience (of Dilated Peoples), C-Rayz Walz, Krondon (of Strong Arm Steady), Q-Unique (of Arsonists) (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

21. Brainbender feat. Ultramagnetic MC's (Kool Keith + Ced Gee), Canibus, Prince Po (formerly of Organized Konfusion), Rahzel (Produced By: DJ JS-1)

Figured I'd use this post to put up a bunch of random songs I've been bumping recently. I assume some of these songs will be new to most heads:

Zion I -

I Self Divine - Ice Cold

Brother Ali -

Cunninlynguists -

Qwel - The Highest Commitment

Ugly Duckling -

Asheru and Blue Black - The Music

Soul Position -

Blueprint - Tramp

MF Doom -

Amadeus the Stampede -

Killah Priest & Chief Kamachi feat Planet Asia - Illest