Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1st Human Stem Cell Clinical Trial FDA approved

chickenlipper

I am a quadriplegic and keep up on this stuff pretty closely. Geron Corp in Menlo Park , CA has received FDA approval to start Human clinical trials with stem cells. Thought some of you may find this interesting.

http://www.geron.com/

Hey Chickenlipper,I met you at the 49er/Redskins tailgate this past December...it's nice to finally run into you in the ES tailgate now. :)

This is very interesting news, I will certainly be keeping up on this.

Is there any possibility that you could be one of the human participants in this trial?

The title needs clarification. This is the first human clinical trail using human embryonic stem cells, not the first stem cell clinical trial.

EDIT: a minor point, the FDA does not "approve" clinical trials. They authorize clearance for the trial to begin. The FDA likes to stay away from the appearance that they are endorsing anything, so they don't use the word "approve" for clinical trials.

EDIT: a minor point, the FDA does not "approve" clinical trials. They authorize clearance for the trial to begin. The FDA likes to stay away from the appearance that they are endorsing anything, so they don't use the word "approve" for clinical trials.

The FDA takes more of a "fail to reject" standpoint in clinical trials. When a trial has been submitted to the FDA for approval, the FDA has 30 days to respond with any concerns. If no response is received in 30 days, the trial is allowed to continue. This is how the FDA keeps their hands clean when it comes to some of these trials that go wrong.

Hey Chickenlipper,I met you at the 49er/Redskins tailgate this past December...it's nice to finally run into you in the ES tailgate now. :)

This is very interesting news, I will certainly be keeping up on this.

Is there any possibility that you could be one of the human participants in this trial?

They're only accepting patients who have been injured within 14 days and it's been 9 years for me. Not sure I'd wanna be one of the 1st anyways. I remember you..had a great time at the Frisco game. Maybe I'll se you in San Diego.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived