Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV......I need help......I know there was a former post on this subject,

Hitnskins

But I couldn't locate it.

My Question is though...........what exactly does it take to get HDTV?

I was looking at, and want to buy this 53" Widescreen HDTV, and the salesman said that I'd also need to get a "HD converter box..........even though I recently installed a new Satelite Dish that apparently transmits in High Def on certain channels......

What I want to know is, if you have the Satelite, and a new HDTV....why then do you need the converter box too......I don't understand.........not to mention the fact that the salesman said that box will cost me around$500.00 dollars.

Please help me before I end up wasting my money!!!

Yes you will need a converter box to decode the HD signal from the dish, You will also need a antenna to decode the "Over the air" local broadcasts. I have the Hughes E 86 box that works pretty good and am waiting for the HD "Tivo" type converter to come out later this year. There is a suprising amount of HD content from the networks and more NFL games than ever this year. For more info go to

www.avsforum.com

www.hometheaterspot.com

Look for the FAQ sections on HDTV. Lots to learn but worth it!

Originally posted by Dolemite

But I couldn't locate it.

My Question is though...........what exactly does it take to get HDTV?

I was looking at, and want to buy this 53" Widescreen HDTV, and the salesman said that I'd also need to get a "HD converter box..........even though I recently installed a new Satelite Dish that apparently transmits in High Def on certain channels......

What I want to know is, if you have the Satelite, and a new HDTV....why then do you need the converter box too......I don't understand.........not to mention the fact that the salesman said that box will cost me around$500.00 dollars.

Please help me before I end up wasting my money!!!

You can get the box cheap from your local cable dealers. Some are offering it for 5 dollars month :)

WOuld it be better to buy the converter box.....or to buy a tv with the box already installed in it??

The guy at the store told me to buy it seperately, because if it goes bad, and it's inside the tv, then it will cost big money to fix it........where as if it's seperate from the tv..........it's obviously easier to fix.

If you buY the box for Directv make sure you have a triple LNB dish, I purchased my Highes E86 for around $475 at Best buy and spent about $75 for an antenna to get locals. Directv has HBO ,Showtime,HDnet and HD pay per view movies ,Starting July 1rst ESPN HD and discovery HD will be added.

Depending on your distance from the local broadcast towers you may be able to pick up locals with a small indoor antenna,which will save you some money.

There are cheaper boxes for local broadcast's only which could further reduce your costs.

"HD ready" TVs DO need the converter box to accept the hi-def signal. the TV is not an "HDTV" itself, it merely has the requisite number of pixels to show HD programming. To accept the Hi-Def signal, you DO need the converter box. Conversely, with a NON-HD ready TV, all the HD converter boxes in the world are useless to you, because the TV cannot show HD-quality pictures. As stated above, the converter box can be purchased (usually $400-$600), or it can be rented cheaply from your cable provider (which is what I'm about to do). I just got a Philips 30-inch HD ready flat screen TV, and I plan to rent the coverter through Comcast Cable.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Carlsbadd,

If you're renting the converter box through your cable company, and you don't use a dish, you don't still need the antenna, do you? That's only for dish users, right? Thanks.

Correct, you should not need the Antenna for locals if your cable provider gives you the locals in HD(HI-definition) VIA thier system.

Man this HD $hit is confusing if you are new to it all.

Quick summary:

Directv users get HBO, HDnet, SHO and HDnet movies,coming July 1rst Discovery HD and ESPN HD.

Directv users need at least a triple LNB dish(18x24 oval) and a HD converter box and a separate antenna to get the local broadcast HD (NBC,FOX,ABC,CBS) channels.

Cable Rent box from cable company for HD and purchase HD package(I know nothing about this since I am a Directv user)

Pro's and Con's

Directv has sunday ticket but no promise to show games in HD

ESPN HD and Discovery HD will cost extra per month.

Cable seems to offer most of what Directv has plus your local channels in HD but may not offer everything local (PBS ,WB)

and no Sunday ticket.

I am course biased, to directv and locals "Over the air" because I get more HD content that way.

Q&A. I have directv with locals now if I upgrade to the HD package will I get my local channels in HD?

No, you will need a antenna to get your locals in HD because Directv does not have the Bandwidth to provide locals in HD to all thier markets.

Do I need a separate box for my HD locals, and a separate box for Directv HD?

No , Most boxes are set up to have the Directv signal and your antenna signal all in one box and on the same menu.

Are there any HD TV sets that have a built in tuner?

Yes, many sets have a built in tuner. some are set up for a cable feed and others are set up for over the air.

Should I listen to the dweebs at Best Buy or get my info from Extremeskins?

Your choice,better yet, try these forums:

www.hometheaterspot.com

www.avsforum.com

www.avsforum.com

Originally posted by Dolemite

what if you have Direc TV............is there anywhere you can rent the converter box from????

Not only do you need the new box but you also need the new dish. The round dish will not pick up HDTV signals, you need the oval dish, it comes with the receiver. I got the new dish and receiver at RS for $55. It was the last one and they were not selling them anymore. Talk about luck.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Wait a second. Im looking at HDTV widescreens right now. Am I to understand that NONE of the current HDTV advertised TVs are HDTV ready? They all need converter boxes?

Some are HDTV ready, meaning they have the converter built in but it will cost you a little more for that option, like $1000 more.

There are also other brands that make converters for them. You can pick 1 up at Best Buy for around $300

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Thanks Carlsbadd. Does anyone have any thoughts on those Monster cables for home theater? Are they really necessary, or is it just a scam? [/quote

Just about eveybody I have talk to that sells them and those who don't, the answer is yes. Monster Cable is worth the money. I have all monster cable on my Tv and my stereo. LOL, my wife freaked out when she saw how much I spent on cable alone. Don't forget to get yourself a good power surge strip. I picked up a nice 1 that monster makes for around $140.

And my sugesstion, don't listen to the dweebs at Best Buy, go to store that deals in TV's/Stereo's and nothing else. Ask a million questions, I also talked to the Sony Rep before I got my Sony Grand Wega.

But be careful, this is not a cheap hobbie, before my wife and I were done this past spring we had spent right at $10,000 on our TV, Stereo and surround sound system

Re: Cables

If you're technically inclined you can read this article from the beginning. http://audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/SpeakerCableFaceoff.htm

If you just want to get to the punch line then read this: http://audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/SpeakerCableFaceoffp3.htm

Based on that information I would comparison shop on the Internet. I've always found my connects cheaper online than in any brick-and-mortar store.

Archived