Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playing Orakpo at LB Will Only Benefit Him in the Long Run

Chiefinonhaze

It's pretty simple to me why we should play Orakpo at LB. First of all, I believe anyone we put next to Haynesworth will play well at DE for the time being, and Phillip Daniels is a great run stopper. Yes, hes old, but he still had amazing strength.

Think about what is important in this league. Versatility. If a player can play both LB and DE, he causes matchup problems for the offense.

Also, think about the duties of a LB vs. the duties of a DE. A LB must rush the passer, learn coverage, and stop the run as well. A DE only rushes the passer and stops the run. That is 3 dimensions vs. 2. If we want to maximize Orakpo's potential, we should teach him how to do all three.

Imagine the threat of having Orakpo blitzing your QB, and also having the threat of him dropping back and getting a pick 6? It's smart. It's not like putting him at LB will stunt his growth of rushing the passer. Lb's, especially OLB's, rush the passer frequently.

And don't forget, Orakpo has a voice as well. If he truly has a passion for playing DE, and he is much better at playing DE, the coaches will notice this far before any of us will. Just have patience, no matter where this guy lines up, he wil wreak havoc.

My question I want to pose is this: About 9 years ago, we drafted a young LB in the first round who was a physical freak, and used him at both LB and DE throughout his career.

How does Orakpo compare to Arrington? What does he do better? Worse? What kind of career will he have in comparison?

My take is this: Orakpo has better strength. Arrington had better athleticism and speed. Orakpo will be a natural DE playing OLB and Arrington a natural OLB playing DE. Will Orakpo be the guy Arrington was back in 2002? What kind of fit will he be?

I'd be interested in getting everyone's take on this.

My question I want to pose is this: About 9 years ago, we drafted a young LB in the first round who was a physical freak, and used him at both LB and DE throughout his career.

How does Orakpo compare to Arrington? What does he do better? Worse? What kind of career will he have in comparison?

My take is this: Orakpo has better strength. Arrington had better athleticism and speed. Orakpo will be a natural DE playing OLB and Arrington a natural OLB playing DE. Will Orakpo be the guy Arrington was back in 2002? What kind of fit will he be?

Excellent questions, and I can only offer my opinion. I think it was a mistake nine years ago and I think it is a mistake today. Let Rap play DE where he belongs, let him drop into coverage from the DE spot, like say Jevon Kearse.

But I must say Blanche has forgotten more about defense then I will ever know, so I will trust him as a fan.

I think it'll be harder for someone like Orakpo to become good at coverage than it was for Arrington playing DE.

Excellent questions, and I can only offer my opinion. I think it was a mistake nine years ago and I think it is a mistake today. Let Rap play DE where he belongs, let him drop into coverage from the DE spot, like say Jevon Kearse.

But I must say Blanche has forgotten more about defense then I will ever know, so I will trust him as a fan.

Agreed. I like Blanche and I trust he will ease on the assignments for the front 7 because you have to let guys like Haynesworth play like they feel. It's instinctual.

The problem with Arrington back then was he was a freelancer to a fault and that really pissed of the coaching staff. They wanted him to be the rock... not the waves around said rock.

But with Fletch, the consummate "right place, right time" MLB and a strong secondary there needs to be a bit of recklessness on the line. The chaos that is created is what will fuel a rush, fumbles and sacks. I am hoping that. And as I do agree players need to play the position they are "supposed" to play (i.e. not asking Jason Taylor to switch sides), any opportunity for a versatile playmaker to give the offense a different look and cause a bit of confusion or hesitation is a very good thing.

I just read that Kansas City is going to attempt a 4-3 3-4 hybrid defense. Its really hard to pull off personnel wise... but if you can do it imagine a team trying to read a defense that they aren't even sure will line up in the same scheme from play to play. It would be interesting to see a base line of Carter, Montgomery, Haynesworth and Orakpo for a first and second and then see a tradition 3-4 line with Carter Haynesworth and Daniels with Orakpo playing OLB. But again, I like Blanches schemes and how he calls formations. We shall see....

Wild to think it has nearly been a decade since we drafted LA. I remember that like yesterday. Time goes by quickly...

If Orakpo can have an impact like LaVar I'd be happy with that. When LaVar was out there, there was always a chance for us to have a big play on defense. I think Orakpo can have that same impact. If we can have Orakpo rush the passer, play the run, and drop into coverage occasionally that would be awesome. He could line up at DE and then all of a sudden drop back and get an INT or just straight rush the passer and get a sack or fumble. With him lining up at OLB and DE, the possibilites are endless!

arrington would seemingly always do the bull rush and rarely pressured the QB. was he here during our read react and get runover years? Our defensive philosophy may be much different now. Hell Big Daddy Stubby and Sean Gilbert couldnt do anything here in that pathetic D we used to run.

We never even let arrington try to block kicks. We didnt use him to his max potential. Its tough to compare him to Orakpo IMO.

My main critisizm about Lavar in his career was that he never seemed to be a student of the game and often made up for his lack of knowledge with his athleticism. Once his athleticism went, he was done as a player.

It is hard to say if the same will happen with Orakpo, but so far he seems to be more willing to learn. There was an article somewhere that said that he's been studying NFL pass rushers on his own time, so that gives me some hope that he has what it takes to be great, not only physically but mentally.

The biggest difference between these 2 is ATTITUDE. Lavar was always a freelancer hotshot who liked to do things HIS way.

Orakpo appears on the scene with a "teach me, I am here to learn" attitude. Both are nice guys. Good human beings. But the maturity factor seems to be there with Orakpo that wasn't with Lavar. He will have more success.

orakpo needs to line up at DE every down. the only reason hes being entertained at LB is because we have nobody there. unless vinny had the genius idea of drafting a good sized DE and moving him to LB for no apparent reason.

dude needs to be our justin tuck/uminyoura. everyone in our division has one of these guys except for us. we need one now, and we have one, but somehow we'd rather him lineup elsewhere. stupid stupid.

we need to sign this piso guy from the rams, and put orakpo back at DE.

Wasn't Piso cut because he couldn't play SLB?

Hey, if you are going to be satisfied with Orakpo being a part-time player and only on the field on passing downs, good for you. Despite what you think, it is doubtful that they'd start orakpo on every down, especially when in this division the priority is to stop the run to stop teams.

orakpo needs to line up at DE every down. the only reason hes being entertained at LB is because we have nobody there. unless vinny had the genius idea of drafting a good sized DE and moving him to LB for no apparent reason.

dude needs to be our justin tuck/uminyoura. everyone in our division has one of these guys except for us. we need one now, and we have one, but somehow we'd rather him lineup elsewhere. stupid stupid.

Bingo. I can't stand this talk about using him as a SLB. We finally get a DE we coveted forever and we think about using him as a LB.

your post makes no sense. He is being entertained at LB because he runs a 4.6 at 260+. Someone with that kind of speed learning how to cover, rush the passer, and stop the run...will be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

Do you know what a 3-4 defense is? Lets for a second assume that Orakpo is a stud at LB. He is already a natural DE, so it will not be hard at all for him to go back to a DE stance. I know we run a 4-3, but if Orakpo can live up to the hype, we have the option to either line him up at LB or at DE.

We have Haynseworth now. Remember that. You CANNOT run a 3-4 unless you have a dominating NT. This is something we have now. If we want to run a 3-4, we need Run Stopping DE's(Daniels, Wynn), and LB's that can rush the passer(ORAKPO). I really think we are transitioning this defense into a 3-4.

Just Relax. Blache knows much more about developing defensive players than anyone on this board.

your post makes no sense. He is being entertained at LB because he runs a 4.6 at 260+. Someone with that kind of speed learning how to cover, rush the passer, and stop the run...will be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

Do you know what a 3-4 defense is? Lets for a second assume that Orakpo is a stud at LB. He is already a natural DE, so it will not be hard at all for him to go back to a DE stance. I know we run a 4-3, but if Orakpo can live up to the hype, we have the option to either line him up at LB or at DE.

We have Haynseworth now. Remember that. You CANNOT run a 3-4 unless you have a dominating NT. This is something we have now. If we want to run a 3-4, we need Run Stopping DE's(Daniels, Wynn), and LB's that can rush the passer(ORAKPO). I really think we are transitioning this defense into a 3-4.

Just Relax. Blache knows much more about developing defensive players than anyone on this board.

We have actually played 3-4 fronts on occasion. 2005 comes to mind. Tho, usually one of the LBs has their hand on the ground.

But, I don't think this is about playing going to a 3-4. It is about putting the right players on the field for the situaiton.

I don't think we'll be running a 3-4 anytime soon. You talk about Wynn and Daniels, but I don't see them being here more than this year, maybe 2 at most. From the looks of it so far, if we were gonna run a 3-4, we would've started transitioning to it by now. I doubt Blache will go into training camp and just start all over with a 3-4.

We have actually played 3-4 fronts on occasion. 2005 comes to mind. Tho, usually one of the LBs has their hand on the ground.

But, I don't think this is about playing going to a 3-4. It is about putting the right players on the field for the situaiton.

Exactly, but what will it hurt to put Orakpo at LB? He will still be rushing the passer, but learning to cover in space as well. This will only make him a better overall player. He will be Well-rounded IMO.

Will he all of a sudden forget how to put his hands on the ground and go at the QB? I highly doubt it. And, it just so happens that we have a hole at LB right now. so Hmmm, it seems to be common logic to give him some reps at LB in mini-camp.

IT'S FREAKIN MINI-CAMP. Why are people flipping out about this. Just because he played LB at mini-camp, does not mean he will never play DE for us again.

I get the feeling this is more Danny and Vinny's decision than Blache's. They are all giddy about moving DEs to OLB this offseason. Taylor, Wilson, and now Orakpo.

That was Blache's (and I believe KO's) idea. While Vinny brought up the possibility of Taylor and Wilson playing OLB in press conferences, Blache and KO have been the ones who actually came up with the projects and have been working on players like Orakpo and Wilson.

As I said before, I liken this situation to the one the Giants have had with Kiwanuka by playing him at SLB. The goal of this is to get the best possible 11 players starting on your defense. And in this case, I think the coaches like the scenario of Orakpo at SLB and Daniels at DE, over Blades at SLB and Orakpo at DE. Once Daniels is retired (and possibly Carter is gone) I think we'll end up seeing Orakpo starting at RE. By this time, he'll have been in the league for a couple of years, will know the defense cold, and will have bulked up with pro training regiments and diets.

I don't think we'll be running a 3-4 anytime soon. You talk about Wynn and Daniels, but I don't see them being here more than this year, maybe 2 at most. From the looks of it so far, if we were gonna run a 3-4, we would've started transitioning to it by now. I doubt Blache will go into training camp and just start all over with a 3-4.

Why not? Its not exactly starting over, its giving the offense different looks. Rex Ryan does this a lot, he runs 4-3, 3-4, 46, everything.

Also, why do you think we are stacking up at LB. If we want to run a 3-4, we have to have extra LB's, think about it. you need 4 LB's in a 3-4, rather than 3. We finally have the players to run a 3-4 IMO. Pass rushing LB's, (Orakpo, Wilson), who can line up at DE as well(both former DE's.)

As I said before, I liken this situation to the one the Giants have had with Kiwanuka by playing him at SLB. The goal of this is to get the best possible 11 players starting on your defense. And in this case, I think the coaches like the scenario of Orakpo at SLB and Daniels at DE, over Blades at SLB and Orakpo at DE. Once Daniels is retired (and possibly Carter is gone) I think we'll end up seeing Orakpo starting at RE. By this time, he'll have been in the league for a couple of years, will know the defense cold, and will have bulked up with pro training regiments and diets.

Not overly eloquent or flowery way of putting it... but that pretty much is the perfect way of putting it.

Agreed. And kudos. :)

Why not? Its not exactly starting over, its giving the offense different looks. Rex Ryan does this a lot, he runs 4-3, 3-4, 46, everything.

Also, why do you think we are stacking up at LB. If we want to run a 3-4, we have to have extra LB's, think about it. you need 4 LB's in a 3-4, rather than 3. We finally have the players to run a 3-4 IMO. Pass rushing LB's, (Orakpo, Wilson), who can line up at DE as well(both former DE's.)

Ok so if Wilson and Orakpo are OLBs, that means McIntosh and Fletcher are ILBs. I don't think McIntosh is big enough to play in the middle, he's only 6-2 238. Could we have McIntosh and Orakpo on the outside and Blades and Fletcher in the middle, possibly. The other thing is that I don't think Haynesworth is a good fit for a 3-4 defense. A 3-4 NT isn't really there to put pressure on the QB, he is there to take up space in the running game. We're paying Haynesworth way too much to just take up space in the middle. A 3-4 wouldn't be bad to see a few plays a game, but I don't see it being our base defense.

I agree that this is nothing but a good thing for Orakpo. Learning to play a new position isn't going to hurt him. I'm sure he's going to get snaps at LB and at DE. From all of the coverage it sounds as if the Blache and co. are going for versatility with guys like Orakpo and Chris Wilson. Having players that can do multiple things is beneficial in today's NFL. The offenses and defenses are more intricate and having guys that can play multiple positions helps you throw in a wild card once in a while that an offense may not recognize.

*Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't think we'll be converting to a 3-4 anytime soon.

Archived