Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 NFL Draft - Day 2 (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage: 2009 NFL Draft - Day 2

04/26/09

:helmet:

Hello everybody and welcome to Day 2 of ES Coverage of the 2009 NFL Draft. My name is JimmiJo, and I am once again your host for the Redskins 2009 draft live from Ashburn Virginia.

Here on Day 2 we weed out the suckers and are left with true football geeks. For example, if you have a list of players still on the board the Redskins should select you are probably a geek. If your list includes player stats you are definitely a geek. And if you have the trade value chart and have started working on trade scenarios, you might want to see somebody about it because brother, you are addicted.

So how do you guys think we did yesterday? I like the Orakpo pick and hope he translates into a guy that can really get after quarterbacks. Can you imagine what our defense will look like if we can pressure QBs with the front four? Haven't seen that in a while.

Today should be interesting. Cerrato said yesterday that the team could very well trade down to get more picks. The 'Skins are slated to select 16th today and with only five minutes to select it won't take too long to see what they will do.

Stand by...

11:45AM

Well, if you are like me and you like defense, then so far you are happy with the draft. Barnes wasn't rated as high as some corners but any man that can knock the lunch out of someone is alright with me.

Make sure you watch the Youtube click Murf posted on page 2 of this thread.

1:30PM

Here at the end of the 4th round I have absolutely nothing to report. There are about eight of us sitting around waiting for the next pick. The Redskins have three picks remaining; 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders.

We were told that Vinny will address the media after the 6th round so I will have that audio for you. As for the remaining picks, not sure if we will have calls with them but if so I will post it.

Other than that, waiting on the start of the Caps game.

And with the 16th pick of the 3rd round, the Washington Redskins select Kevin Barnes, cornerback, Maryland.

Position: CB

School & Year/Status: Maryland - Senior

Height & Weight: 6' - 187 lbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And with the 14th pick of the 5th round, the Washington Redskins trade the pick to Minnesota for Minn's 158th pick and the 221st (7th round), which ironically is the pick Washington sent to Minn for Erasmus James

And with the 22nd pick of the 5th round, the Washington Redskins select Cody Glenn, Linebacker, Nebraska.

Height: 6-0

Weight: 244

Position:LB

College: Nebraska

And with the 13th pick of the 6th round, the Washington Redskins select Robert Henson, linebacker, TCU

Position: OLB

School & Year/Status: TCU - Senior

Height & Weight: 6'1 - 229 lbs

And with the 12th pick of the 7th round, the Washington Redskins select Eddie Williams, TE, Idaho.

Birth Date August 22, 1987

Hometown SAN MATEO, CA

Height 6-1

Weight 235 lbs.

And with the 34th pick of the 7th round the Washington Redskins select Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada.

Height: 6'3

Weight 210

Hometown: York, Ala.

Audio

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from Cody Glenn click HERE

To listen to comments from Coach Zorn click HERE

To listen to comments from Vinny Cerrato click HERE

Redskins Keep the Focus on Defense in Day 2

Immediately following the team’s final selection, Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato summed up the Washington Redskins 2009 NFL Draft.

“I think we were fortunate to get [brian] Orakpo at 13,” he said. “We feel fortunate about that. To me, you don’t really know for a couple years, but I feel we took care of some of our needs that we were looking for. We got a couple of linebackers, the corner, and I think the pass rusher was huge. Getting a fullback that has outstanding ability will be important for us and another receiver that can develop.”

Going into the draft with five picks, Washington came away with six players, the sixth resulting from the Redskins trading back eight spots in the 5th round to pick up an additional 7th round pick from Minnesota. Ironically, the Redskins got back the 221st pick they sent to Minnesota for Erasmus James in 2008.

The Redskins started Day 2 by continuing to focus on defense, selecting Maryland Cornerback Kevin Barnes in the 3rd round, Linebacker Cody Glenn of Nebraska in the 5th, and TCU linebacker Robert Henson in the 6th. It was not until the 7th round when the team selected Fullback Eddie Williams of Idaho that the offense was addressed. On the final Redskins pick of the draft, Washington selected Wide Receiver Marko Mitchell from Nevada. “We have concentrated on the defensive side of the ball. Last year our first four picks were on the offensive side of the ball and this year our first four picks have been on the defensive side of the ball,” said Head Coach Jim Zorn.

Zorn described Barnes (6’0, 187), a local product from Glen Burnie, as a very tall corner who is very fast and can run receivers down. Glenn (6’0, 235), a converted running back, was characterized by Zorn as a versatile linebacker that could be tried in all three linebacker positions. Zorn said Henson (6’1, 228) is an inside linebacker who likes contact and is good at attacking gaps in the line. Cerrato said Williams (6’1, 249) has, “excellent hands, big guy, about 240 pounds, and a good blocker.” Cerrato described Mitchell (6’4, 210) as, “a big guy that has a lot of skills, can really run.”

For a time it seemed like the Redskins were taking a theme-based approach, drafting only players who missed the later part of their senior year in college. It took until the final Redskins’ pick, Marko Mitchell, for the Redskins to get a player Day 2 that had finished last year.

Barnes, who grew up in North Carolina, is considered a big, hard-hitting corner most famous for his nauseating hit against Cal tailback Jahvid Best in 2008. He is also smart, scoring a 41 on the wonderlic test. Barnes was injured in the seventh game of the 2008 season against Wake Forest, where he fractured his scapula, an injury that resulted in a small pin being placed in the shoulder blade.

“I feel like I can compete with anybody. I’m a big corner, but I also move like a smaller guy,” said Barnes.

Glenn, who grew up in Nebraska, was a running back for the first three years of his career at Nebraska, but was then converted to linebacker for his senior year. He suffered foot injuries in both 2006 and 2007 but says these are behind him. “Right now I am healthy and I am good to go,” Glenn said.

Glenn was suspended for the final four games of the 2008 season. “It was just a deal where I got caught up in selling some tickets I wasn’t supposed to be doing. I knew I wasn’t but I did it and I got caught. Coach Pelini had to do what he had to do, he didn’t want it to hurt the team,” Glenn said.

Henson grew up in Longview Texas and played linebacker at Texas Christian University. In 2008 he was scratched for the Poinsettia Bowl after being ruled academically ineligible. Cerrato said he can play both inside and outside linebacker.

Williams suffered a torn ACL in his left knee against Boise State in November 2008, causing him to miss the final game against Hawaii. According to Cerrato, he will be ready to go in training camp.

Mitchell, originally from Alabama and the only draft pick to have finished his senior season, is a tall receiver who played for Nevada and had 18 touchdowns over the past two seasons with over 1,100 yards in each. In his junior year, he ranked second in the nation in yardage per catch at 21.3.

It was widely expected that the Redskins would focus on three areas of need in the draft; defensive end, linebacker, and offensive tackle. The front office was able to address two of the three. When asked about the fact that they drafted no offensive linemen, Cerrato cited the recent signing of former Buffalo Bill tackle Mike Williams as reducing the need to focus as much on the position. “When we signed Mike Williams, the way he looked at the workout, that kinda helped that.”

Williams has been out of the league for two seasons and is reported to weigh 410 pounds after peaking at 450. Williams has been staying with Derrick Dockery.

Cerrato said the team is looking to bring in offensive linemen for this weekend’s mini-camp. According to Coach Zorn, the team expects to sign 10-12 undrafted free agents for the camp.

I don't know how I feel about trading down from the third round. I'd really like to see us get someone who can contribute with that pick. We've got enough 'projects' on the roster already- like last years' entire draft class :silly:

Very happy with the 13th pick though.

Thanks for all you're doing Jimmi, love the updates. Now give us some good gossip :D

I don't know how I feel about trading down from the third round. I'd really like to see us get someone who can contribute with that pick. We've got enough 'projects' on the roster already- like last years' entire draft class :silly:

Very happy with the 13th pick though.

Thanks for all you're doing Jimmi, love the updates. Now give us some good gossip :D

The pleasure is mine Sir. So far all I can tell you is that David Elfin is smartly dressed in dockers and a striped shirt.

So what's the bigger need, LB or OL? Not opposed to trading down as long as there are good prospects in need areas. Dallas has 12 picks today but you know half will be duds. Let's hope we play it smart.

That's a good question. I'm going to have to say S-LB, where they have no bonafide starter. At least Jansen has been a starter for some years.

That being said they need both.

Maybe to Houston at 15?

Yeah, perhaps. I think they def would've had a decision to make as I think they really liked Cushing. There's no way to really know, but after looking at a mock draft after our pick, you start to think he could've had quite a fall.

I love the pick, just wondering what other teams really think of him.

Archived